What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying a second hand car advice - logbook - JGRRandall

I viewed a car recently at a dealership which looked great, test drive was good, it had full service history and MOT's. HPI checks all passed and the VIN matched the registration when I entered in my HPI check. The dealership has good reviews from 30 persons and he said they had just received the car. So I put a deposit down with the plan to pay the remainder in a week once the dealer had completed a service.

However they didn't have the log book just the V5C/2 form..I rang them today to ask again about this and he said that it was being sent through - I presume from the person they purchased it from.

I find it a bit odd that they wouldn't have the V5C form unless I've misunderstood and they have sent it of to the DVLA to register their ownership? But if not surely the V5C form should be in the dealers name for them to register my ownership of the vehicle? So if I arrive at the weekend and the V5C form is there but not in the dealership's name is this dodgy?

Edited by JGRRandall on 31/08/2021 at 17:51

Buying a second hand car advice - logbook - Andrew-T

It's unusual for a dealer to register their ownership of a used vehicle, as it increases the number of historical owners unnecessarily. Presumably the car has arrived there from the auction route ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 31/08/2021 at 18:08

Buying a second hand car advice - logbook - JGRRandall

Thanks Andrew, that does make sense. Not sure if it was purchased from an auction or directly but I can ask.