What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best hatchback for pet dog. - Sally Sampson

My Honda Jazz needs replacing and I'm looking for something of a similar size, but also suitable for travelling with a dog (I'm soon to get a new puppy). Car must be less than 5 years old and automatic. Any suggestions/advice please?

Best hatchback for pet dog. - movilogo

Depends on dog breed as their sizes vary widely.

Best hatchback for pet dog. - RT

A small estate might be better than a hatchback, more headroom for the dog

Best hatchback for pet dog. - badbusdriver

A small estate might be better than a hatchback, more headroom for the dog

A small (i.e, supermini sized) estate won't have more headroom for the dog than a Jazz, but it will have more floor space. But, for a small estate, within 5 years old, your choices are Skoda Fabia or Seat Ibiza. As a manual, fine, but as an auto, that means (dry clutch) DSG.

As has been asked, we really need to know what kind of dog, but assuming it will fit in the boot, you won't find anything which utilises its space as effectively as a Jazz.

Depends on dog breed as their sizes vary widely.

Dog will be spaniel sized!
Best hatchback for pet dog. - Will deBeast

What size dog?

What budget?

We bought a 2017 Civic estate for our dog. It has a nice low sill. And as a petrol automatic should last forever. We still have the 'magic seats' that my wife loved in her jazz. But that sounds bigger than you want?

Edited by Will deBeast on 31/08/2021 at 16:22

Best hatchback for pet dog. - madf

Oldest son has a Civic and a Boxer dog.

Copes well.

Best hatchback for pet dog. - expat

Our spaniel was fine in the wife's Hyundai i30 hatchback. It is a bit bigger than a Jazz but it has been a good reliable car. Mind you it is the older Torque Convertor automatic. I think the latest ones have a dual clutch automatic and I would be very dubious about those.

Thank you - that’s useful to know

Edited by Sally Sampson on 04/09/2021 at 12:45

Best hatchback for pet dog. - SLO76
What’s the budget and where roughly will you be searching?
Best hatchback for pet dog. - up north

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reva-g-wiz-/114952388344?mkcid=...0

'Best hatchback for pet dog' ... For their first car most pet hounds would fit in this.

Best hatchback for pet dog. - Steveieb
The Lurcher club recommended a Nissan Note when a friend was looking for a replacement for her Peugeot 207 SW which was ideal before it was written off !
The Lurcher club recommended a Nissan Note when a friend was looking for a replacement for her Peugeot 207 SW which was ideal before it was written off !

The 2nd gen Note might just scrape into the the OP's 'less than 5 year old' requirement (they officially lasted till 2016, but there may be some 2017 registered cars out there). But, the auto version would have both the supercharged version of the 1.2, which is apparently not that reliable, and Nissan's CVT, which is also not very reliable. So not a great choice overall in this case!.

Best hatchback for pet dog. - John F

Look for a boot floor no higher than your kneecap, with no lip. Our Peugeot 2008 would fit the bill. Avoid cars designed to accommodate four wheel drive - they inevitably have a higher loading area.

Best hatchback for pet dog. - catsdad

Depends on the dog. The black Labrador I used to walk could tackle a three foot fence from a standing position. More than that if there was food at the other side.

Edited by catsdad on 01/09/2021 at 14:21

Depends on the dog. The black Labrador I used to walk could tackle a three foot fence from a standing position. More than that if there was food at the other side.

That doesn't make it good for the dog, especially a heavy breed like a Labrador, and especially once its getting a bit older.

Best hatchback for pet dog. - Halmerend
A Rover?
??
??
Very good!!
Best hatchback for pet dog. - ExNHS

Maybe the most important criterion is if it can reach the pedals.

Best hatchback for pet dog. - Will deBeast

The answer seems to be a mini

youtube.com/user/TheDrivingDogs

Russian dogs are a bit smarter!

https://youtu.be/EDoy3cxqgCE

But checkout your recovery company s policy on transporting dogs.

After being left stranded at Nottingham Services with my daughters dog after the recovery company refused to transport the dog in the cab i changed to Start Rescue who have a dog friendly policy!