What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Qashqai and CR-V - Advice on buying a used car - Armagh123
I am currently looking into buying a new car. I currently drive a qashqai but need something a bit bigger so I am looking at a qashqai plus 2 or a Honda CR-V. I have found a 2013 high spec qashqai with 89000 miles for £6600 and a Honda CR-V 2012 with 86000 miles on the clock. I was just looking some advice on whether they were good reliable models, if those miles are too much and which would be my best bet. Many thanks
Qashqai and CR-V - Advice on buying a used car - badbusdriver

CR-V all day long. The Qashqai isn't terrible, as forum members can vouch for, but going by stats, it is much less reliable than the Honda.

Buying a used car is always a gamble, so reduce your odds as much as possible by going for something known to be reliable rather than hoping you end up lucky in a Qashqai (which, under the skin, is really just a Renault Megane).

Also, unless you need diesel due to mileage (generally regarded as being 15k + per annum) or for towing a caravan, stick to petrol.

Qashqai and CR-V - Advice on buying a used car - Armagh123

CR-V all day long. The Qashqai isn't terrible, as forum members can vouch for, but going by stats, it is much less reliable than the Honda.

Buying a used car is always a gamble, so reduce your odds as much as possible by going for something known to be reliable rather than hoping you end up lucky in a Qashqai (which, under the skin, is really just a Renault Megane).

Also, unless you need diesel due to mileage (generally regarded as being 15k + per annum) or for towing a caravan, stick to petrol.

Thank you very much
Qashqai and CR-V - Advice on buying a used car - nellyjak

absolute no brainer...CRV every time

Qashqai and CR-V - Advice on buying a used car - SLO76
I’d leave the Nissan, it’s basically a Renault Megan’s underneath and they tend to become a money-pit past 70,000 miles. The CRV can be a good big car, the 1.6 Diesel is very economical and cheap to tax but you’ll need 10k plus to get a good one at current prices.

The older Mk III 2.2 diesels are all 4wd and far worse on fuel, they’re generally reliable but underbody rot is a problem and they’re bad for clutch issues and diesels can suffer a number of problems as they age from clogged DPF’s and EGR’s to turbo and timing chain failures. Rear diffs can fail also.

I’d find more money or I’d reign in your ambitions and I’d stick with a large petrol engined hatch or estate like an Accord, Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo. A petrol Vauxhall Zafira is another good value family wagon. A cheap 4wd SUV that’s approaching 100,000 miles isn’t a good bet on a tight budget. These are £30k plus new and £6/7k just isn’t enough to get a genuinely good one.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/08/2021 at 08:32

Qashqai and CR-V - Advice on buying a used car - badbusdriver

I’d stick with a large petrol engined hatch or estate like an Accord, Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo. A petrol Vauxhall Zafira is another good value family wagon.

That would probably make more sense. Assuming the OP isn't after the 7 seats of the Qashqai + 2 as the CR-V only has 5. Because they are less 'trendy', you'd get a younger example of the above for the same money. Can't imagine a Mondeo not having enough space for anyone who needs a 5 seater, though the higher seating position of an SUV (or an MPV like a Zafira) makes it easier to get young kids into and out of child seats.

Qashqai and CR-V - Advice on buying a used car - Alby Back
We had no trouble at all from the two Qashqais we ran to big miles. Both were totally reliable things.

Terminally boring to drive though. Maybe Hondas are more exciting, I wouldn't know. The Nissans were about as much fun as kitchen appliances.
Qashqai and CR-V - Advice on buying a used car - corax
The Nissans were about as much fun as kitchen appliances.

Kitchen appliances can be fun. My washing machine plays a tune after it's finished :)

Qashqai and CR-V - Advice on buying a used car - bathtub tom

Kitchen appliances can be fun. My washing machine plays a tune after it's finished :)

So does ours, drives SWMBO mad and I can't find any way to switch the sound off.