What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Places to stop off - dan86

In a few weeks I'll be off to Edinburgh for a long weekend with a stop off in Birmingham to visit the black country museum a this part of the drive I've done many times and know where to stop off, but I've not drivin up to Scotland before and wanted some opinions on places to stop off from Birmingham to Edinburgh. Google maps suggests 5 hours or so non stop but realistically ok now I'll be looking at atleast 6 hours so would like to do atleast 3 hours befor stopping. Where would people who know this journey stop off for a break to get something to eat and rest for about an hour?

Any - Places to stop off - catsdad

It’s a trip I do a couple of times a year from the West Country. I keep my options open depending on traffic reports on the day as to whether to go up the M6/M74 in which case I stop at Tebay services. There is a lounge where you can take your coffee and look over the duck pond. It’s also a farm shop if you want to buy stuff.

If you up the M42/M1 I would recommend the Yorkshire sculpture park a few miles south of Leeds off the M1. It’s probably only two hours into that leg of the journey but worth considering. No entrance fee but you pay for parking. It has a good cafe. Seeing all of the park would take over an hour but can just stretch your legs and spend as much or as little time as you want.

Further into your journey, again depending on your route, Moffat is an attractive little town just off the M74 if you want a quick coffee before the slow A road to Edinburgh. If you are on the eastern route, the supermarket cafe off the roundabout at Berwick on Tweed is a good standby if you need a final pit stop an hour before Edinburgh,

Any - Places to stop off - daveyjp

If you don't want to go far from M6 Tebay services is the obvious one. It is privately run and excellent. However its popularity means it can be very busy!

https://www.tebayservices.com/

Kendal or Carlisle if you want a larger choice.

From M6 there are a few routes cross country to Edinburgh. A7 from Carlisle is the Borders Tourist route, or A702 from Abington is the main HGV route. However for slightly more driving interest the A701 or A708 from Moffat are worth considering.

Thanks I'll keep those routes in minde

Any - Places to stop off - Will deBeast

There are some great suggestions in this book. Highly recommended.

www.dogfriendly.co.uk/shop/product/5993/

Any - Places to stop off - Grenache

I'd also second Tebay services for a good knife-and-fork meal; the other service stations are generally fast-food-oriented.

Possible stop at Tebay village, just off M6 J38, nice little place, there's an inn there, though not tried it myself.

Further north, Moffat is definitely worth a stop, just off M74 J15, a small town with places to eat and wander about. If you choose to return to the motorway then continue on the A701 then B719 then the old road to Beattock and rejoin at J14.

For cheap fuel near the motorway, there's an Asda petrol station just off the M6 at J44 (Carlisle North), or Tesco close to M6 J43, though the Adsa is usually a little cheaper.

There's also a Tesco immediately at M74 J10 Lesmahagow

Fastest way to West/North/Central Edinburgh is:
M6 then M74,
Leave M74 at J5, follow A725 north
Then M8 eastbound.

For South & East Edinburgh, from M6 you can leave M74 at J13 Abington and follow A702, but this can be a slow route if you get stuck behind HGVs or caravans.

The A701 from M74 J15 is a nice scenic route and a possible alternative. Moffat is a nice place for a stop/coffee.

The A7 is a slow but scenic route but takes a lot longer that those above.

A route I often use is this one, it sounds complicated but usually a clear run:
Leave M74 at J13 Abington, follow A702 for a mile then A73 north.
Follow A73, there's a nice coffee shop on the main road by Thankerton
Turn right at Hyndford Bridge and follow A70 North
Go though Carstairs village
Turn left on to A721, then after a mile or so go right at the roundabout on to A706
Follow A706 through Forth, then A704 through West Calder
Follow A71 eastwards then go left on to the A899 through Livingston, then join the M8 at J3 to take you to Edinburgh. or stay on the A71 to Edinburgh if you are heading for the south of Edinburgh.
Most of this route is straight single-carriageway A roads and quite scenic but just as quick as using the M74/A725/M8

Thank you I'll bear that in mind, shouldn't need to stop for fuel on the way as the car is very good on diesel and should cover the 400 miles with fuel to spare in the tank bit it's nice to know their's a cheaper alternative on route if needed

Any - Places to stop off - edlithgow

Alnwick (Castle)? Lindisfarne? Maybe take longer than you'd want to spend though.

Lindisfarne has a tidal causeway so timing would be an issue, plus you'd get salt on your car. I think there is also a pedestrian ferry though have never taken it.