What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vw polo - Car insurance - Drivethru

Hi, does anyone have experience of Saga or Aviva car insurance? I'm torn between the two, the only thing that puts me off Aviva is that it's online only claims. I'm not sure if that's as good as being able to speak to an assistant. Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

Vw polo - Car insurance - Theophilus

I've been with Saga for the past 3 years - never had to make a claim so can't really comment on their response. However I'm in the process of moving - to Aviva (!) - as the premium is considerably lower (wanting to sign up a new customer I'm sure, expect to see a higher quote next year.

Vw polo - Car insurance - daveyjp

Have been with Aviva and now GA, also Aviva, but their comparison site brand, for years. Always good value and never increases by a silly amount, this year was cheaper than last.

As regards claiming on line, my last claim was about 8 years ago with LV and I did everything online and by post anyway. I had one phone call from them asking for some further info, but I had no need to call them.

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll go with Aviva. The price is a bit more expensive but the excess is £150 less.

Vw polo - Car insurance - toblerone

I took out an Aviva Online Policy earlier this year for my 2019 Golf Match Edition via a comparison website. Telephone Customer Service is provided for the first month, after which all policy changes must be made online. There is still a telephone claims service throughout the policy though.. 10+ years ago, Aviva dealt with my claim as a. non-fault third party and were very good.

Incidentally, their quote was much better value than my LV renewal quote (£226 vs £419!). Low risk occupation and postcode in my mid 30s, full NCB, no recent claims etc with usual extras. Aviva/GA do seem to be very competitive at the moment, as friends and family have found similar deals.

Vw polo - Car insurance - daveyjp

The Aviva online changes system is excellent and changes are free.

Since April 2020 my wife has needed 4 changes to her insurance policy and it will need another from next month. When some companies charge £25 as a min for each change that's £125+ saved.

Vw polo - Car insurance - Andrew-T

I think I'll go with Aviva. The price is a bit more expensive but the excess is £150 less.

So raise the excess a bit and get a lower premium !

Vw polo - Car insurance - catsdad

Like Andrew I would look at raising the excess. If I was facing a small claim I would rather settle it myself than use the insurer.

Like Andrew I would look at raising the excess. If I was facing a small claim I would rather settle it myself than use the insurer.

I get what you mean, but going with Aviva the difference is £7 between £100 excess and no excess.

Vw polo - Car insurance - Andrew-T

I get what you mean, but going with Aviva the difference is £7 between £100 excess and no excess.

We're suggesting that you try for £250 excess - it's quite a common figure, and that should reduce your premium noticeably. Basically you are taking a gamble - pay less premium, but if something nasty happens (which it probably won't), pay a bigger part of the cost. And if you have a (very) minor incident you pay for that yourself without making a claim, which would probably increase your renewal cost.

Pay your money, take your choice.

Edited by Andrew-T on 16/07/2021 at 11:28