What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda CX-5 - Buying a used car - garcon6
Have a Mazda 5, 2013 with 40,000 miles. Thinking of upgrading to the CX-5, Sport Edition, 2019/20 with about 20,000 miles. They will value my car properly next week, hoping to get just over £5,000. They said as a Mazda owner will get £1000 loyalty, as a Mazda customer. Any useful advice when looking at a CX-5. Obviously the Mazda brand is very reliable. Though I don’t think there is much difference with the horsepower between the Mazda 5/CX-5. Any useful advice, I like the BMW X3, just too expensive and costly.

Mazda CX-5 - Buying a used car - SLO76
Yes, avoid the diesel. It’s a notoriously fragile engine with a history of problems. The petrol is however bulletproof and reasonably decent on fuel, there’s no other real vices to worry about but if you buy one in metallic red be extra vigilant with body repairs as it’s a nightmare colour to match. I’d go for an approved used example and make sure it has a full Mazda dealer service history and watch for signs that it has been clocked which is common with cars taken on PCP or lease.

Rather than pay for the excess mileage or pay the cost of an appropriate mileage allowance they clock the thing back before handing it back, it’ll usually show with a suspiciously low mileage in the final year. I’ve often looked at cars that show 12-15k a year in years 1,2 and possibly 3 then next to nothing in the final year and all too often servicing has been neglected or done on the cheap plus poor quality paint repairs carried out before return to avoid fees.

Don’t be complacent because it’s an approved used car, my last shopping excursion took me round two local Honda dealers (same chain) and none of the approved used CRV’s they had were right. They either had missing or no history, questionable mileages or terrible paint repairs. I ended up buying a Volvo but the CX-5 was on my list, the wife just didn’t like it for some mad reason. They’re very good cars.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/06/2021 at 15:19

Mazda CX-5 - Buying a used car - garcon6
Thanks you, some valid points. As all servicing is digital, I could always ask for a print out or if the car has had any bumps.. I had my Mazda 5 for five years, sliding doors, good family car. Does use a lot of petrol and not using the 7 seats.
“ As all servicing is digital, I could always ask for a print out ”

Correct and yes you should. Don’t buy it without a copy of the service history. I’d also buy an an aftermarket service book to fill in from now on and make sure you keep all receipts. I utterly despise this recent idiocy of online service records. There should always be a physical record to assist with resale.
Mazda CX-5 - Buying a used car - Miniman777
“ As all servicing is digital, I could always ask for a print out
I utterly despise this recent idiocy of online service records. There should always be a physical record to assist with resale.

Think we all despise digital servicing records as service books can be falsified too - bought online with rubber dealer stamps.

I sold an R56 Cooper privately, and a 61 plate Kuga, both had all the paperwork to support a full service history, as does a cosseted R57 Cabriolet we gave to No. 2 daughter last June. It isn't hard to retain this info and more should do it, as it enhances the bona fides of the car when it comes to sell.

Too many dealers advertise FSH, when it's nothing of the sort.

“ As all servicing is digital, I could always ask for a print out
I utterly despise this recent idiocy of online service records. There should always be a physical record to assist with resale.

Think we all despise digital servicing records as service books can be falsified too - bought online with rubber dealer stamps.

I sold an R56 Cooper privately, and a 61 plate Kuga, both had all the paperwork to support a full service history, as does a cosseted R57 Cabriolet we gave to No. 2 daughter last June. It isn't hard to retain this info and more should do it, as it enhances the bona fides of the car when it comes to sell.

Too many dealers advertise FSH, when it's nothing of the sort.

Absolutely agree but still better to have that book than nowt. Loads of service histories are faked these days by unscrupulous backstreet dealers and private sellers to add value. If you’ve any doubts look up the dealer who’s stamp is in the book (don’t use the number on it) search for their number and call their service dept to check if they’ve ever seen it. You can usually tell if a car has been looked after though.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/06/2021 at 23:59