What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford or Vauxhall - HELP!! Buying a second hand car - Bobby Beaumont
Hi guys,

New to this page but hoping you all might be able to help! I am about to start a new job which means I’ll drive about 60 miles a day which will mostly be Motorway or A roads. I have 3k at a REAL push and found 2 cars. Main thing I’m wanting is running costs to be lowish and I do want a bigger car and one that looks good and reliable ! I have found 2, detailed below;

FORD MONDEO TITANIUM X 2lt Petrol 2010 77k mileage- good condition, new MOT brand new tyres, rear brakes and air con fixed has Bluetooth etc price is £2750- drives well (clutch is a bit high) and handles well.

VAUXHALL INSIGNIA EXCLUSIV CDTI 2lt 2009 81k mileage- Drives really well, 12 months mot no aux or anything (I assume that’s easy to sort...I hope) new tyres, 1 owner who has done minimal miles over the last 5 years (5k in 5 years)

Which would be the better car for what I need? Hopefully someone can help. Many thanks.

Edited by Bobby Beaumont on 02/06/2021 at 19:06

Ford or Vauxhall - HELP!! Buying a second hand car - Xileno

Neither seems to have great appeal. An old but low mileage diesel might be storing expensive problems regarding its DPF. The Mondeo being petrol will be safer but the clutch sounds like it may be on the way out.

I am sure you will get plenty of alternatives suggested soon. Mazda 6 is always a popular choice, as is Octavia or a different Mondeo to this one.

Ford or Vauxhall - HELP!! Buying a second hand car - SLO76
Forget the Vauxhall, it uses a Fiat designed Diesel engine that’s at that age when it’ll be a costly money pit. The Mondeo is a great car, if a bit thirsty but the clutch isn’t a cheap job on the these so I’d probably leave this one.

At this money I’d forget diesels as they’re almost always a false economy. Stick with petrol and expand your search. Other good options are…

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol
Honda Civic 1.8 petrol
Honda Accord 2.0 petrol
Toyota Auris 1.33/1.6 petrol
Toyota Avensis 1.8/2.0 petrol
Mazda 3 1.6/2.0 petrol
Mazda 6 1.8/2.0 petrol
Ford or Vauxhall - HELP!! Buying a second hand car - badbusdriver

With such a small budget, I think you should focus on what is important and not necessarily what you want.

Choosing a big, good looking car is all very well, but that isn't going to help if it is broken down at the side of the road. Reliability is the most important factor, appearance isn't, neither (beyond what you actually need) is size.

Once you are in the position of having a decent budget, then bring what you want into the buying process.