What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Astra - Vauxhall Astra H 1.6 turbo buying advice - Mhd_zakk
Hi, I am looking to buy a 1.6 turbo petrol Vauxhall Astra H. I want a reliable, preferably turbocharged car with a bit of kick to it. I considered the 1.4 twin charged Mk5 VW Golf, but I don't want to have to deal with timing chain issues. What do I need to be weary about the 1.6 turbo Astra H?
Vauxhall Astra - Vauxhall Astra H 1.6 turbo buying advice - SLO76

The Astra H is an old car now, the last of them are over 11yrs old and the priorities when looking at cars of this age and price point are reliability and ease of maintenance. While there’s not much wrong with a well cared for Astra other than the cheap interior and dull handling you are limiting yourself too much by opting to look at only one make, model and engine. I’d open up the search a bit and if sporty performance and handling are an absolute must then add in the Mazda 3 2.0 Sport and Honda Civic EP3 2.0 Type-S, perhaps the later 1.8 V-TEC S. The Ford Focus Mk III 1.6 turbo is a good car if you can find more money but if not then the earlier Mk II 1.8/2.0 petrols go well enough and handle brilliantly. Personally though I’d rather have a good basic example of any of these than a tatty sporty example. An old car driven hard won’t last any length of time anyway so I’d opt for something less potent but more reliable until I could afford a good one.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/06/2021 at 23:43

Vauxhall Astra - Vauxhall Astra H 1.6 turbo buying advice - badbusdriver

Thing is, while the basic car is inherently reliable, as it ages, how many uncaring owners is it going to have been through since it was new?. Being a more powerful version of an older and cheaper car, it will very much appeal to the boy racer type. They will have thrashed it to within an inch of its life, and will probably have neglected on maintenance.

And in reference to SLO's comment on limiting your choice, on Autotrader there are a grand total of four Astra H 1.6 turbo's!. All are the 3 door (not sure if the engine was available in the 5 door body), and one of those four has a 'noisy gearbox'.