What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW service - no interim service needed? - Ken_99

I went to a BMW dealer and tried a used car. Its computer shows it was last serviced over 18 months ago. I was also told that there is no need for an ordinary interim or full service like before, but only to follow the instructions given by the computer on what parts need to be replaced and checked. Does this mean the normal service done by the local garage around the corner won’t be recognized by the smart system? It is not convincing to sign up a service package for a second-hand car yet. Thank you!

BMW service - no interim service needed? - sammy1

IF the car is still under the 3years manufacturing warranty then stick with the BMW dealer. As part of the sale I would insist on at least an oil change and the cars computer reset. Depending on the cars computer on other settings ie Brakes brake fluid etc if the service is not that far away insist on a full service. It may cost you some £300plus in only a few months time and little to them.

When the car is out of warranty you may chose to use an independent garage who if any good should have the software to reset the cars computer.

BMW service - no interim service needed? - craig-pd130

If it was a 'BMW approved used' car you were looking at, part of the approved used package is that the dealer services the car before sale if the service is due within 3 months or 3000 miles of the date of sale.

BMW's servicing regime is based on usage, the engines have sensors which detect both oil level and quality and tell you when they need servicing (up to a maximum of around 18,000 miles / 20 months between oil & filter changes).

BMW service - no interim service needed? - Falkirk Bairn

>>BMW's servicing regime is based on usage

In other countries BMW have annual services - a son has had 4 new BMWs in the last 7+ years - all have had a service at 12 months - diesel and petrol at the Texas franchise dealer.

UK servicing - quirk to satisfy fleet managers of lower running costs

BMW service - no interim service needed? - Engineer Andy

>>BMW's servicing regime is based on usage

In other countries BMW have annual services - a son has had 4 new BMWs in the last 7+ years - all have had a service at 12 months - diesel and petrol at the Texas franchise dealer.

UK servicing - quirk to satisfy fleet managers of lower running costs

Perhaps so, but I wonder how much in other parts of the world it depends on the local conditions, e.g. very hot or cold, dusty/sandy etc? When I was looking at my 2005 build Mazda's handbook, the maintenance schedule was different and more onerous for ceryain parts of the world with hot and dusty environments, e.g. Africa/Middle East/Australia.

Our relatively mild and clean environment may be amongst the most benign, except perhaps if you live near the sea or in more northerly/high areas that get snow and thus the car is affected by salt corrosion.

Thank you all for your responses! I have asked for the extra service and they agreed to replace the engine oil and filter. Hopefully it will last for another 20 months!

I read a few posts which don't suggest BMW used diesel car with low mileage. Is there any problem with its diesel engine. I thought BMW diesel engine and an automatic gearbox has a good reputation for durability? Thanks

BMW service - no interim service needed? - skidpan

Thank you all for your responses! I have asked for the extra service and they agreed to replace the engine oil and filter. Hopefully it will last for another 20 months!

If they are only carrying out a oil and filter change it will not necessarily last 20 months, the car will decide when its due.

I read a few posts which don't suggest BMW used diesel car with low mileage. Is there any problem with its diesel engine. I thought BMW diesel engine and an automatic gearbox has a good reputation for durability? Thanks

The accepted rule is do not buy ANY diesel car with a low annual mileage or if you only do a low annual mileage. Its a prefect recipe for DPF failure and at around a four figure sum to replace (the cleaning solutions are a con) you will never benefit from the potential lower mpg.

We had a BMW 118d for 5 years from 2008, no issues, great car. Averaged about 47 mpg Since my annual mileage had dropped by 2013 when I replaced it I bought a Seat Leon 1.4 TSi. Same power, more space, better drive and about £5000 less to buy than a similar petrol 1 series. Over 3.5 years it averaged 45 mpg.

Will never buy another diesel.

Thank you for the response. I only drive 5000-6000 miles a year and half was done on motorway. Will this easily lead to any DPF failure?

BMW service - no interim service needed? - John F

Thank you for the response. I only drive 5000-6000 miles a year and half was done on motorway. Will this easily lead to any DPF failure?

No. It's short journeys rather than low annual mileage that aren't suitable for diesel engines. Frequent blasts down a motorway is good for them. If a machine is switched off, it doesn't wear. Nothing wrong with low annual mileage. My forty year old TR7 has averaged less than 2,000 miles a year and all its powertrain machinery (apart from the water pump) is original and works just fine.

BMW service - no interim service needed? - Andrew-T

<< The accepted rule is do not buy ANY diesel car with a low annual mileage or if you only do a low annual mileage. Its a prefect recipe for DPF failure >>

Only if your diesel has a DPF ! :-) (mine doesn't)

BMW service - no interim service needed? - tokomak

I'm in a similar boat, the car I want 5seies Touring, I cannot find a decent petrol for the same money as a diesel, definitely a concern for resale but trying to find one with desirable toys.

This explains a neighbour drove all the way to Cambridge and back to charge the car battery.

BMW service - no interim service needed? - skidpan

This explains a neighbour drove all the way to Cambridge and back to charge the car battery.

Bit confused there. The DPF has nothing to do with the battery.

Only Diesels have DPF's and they do not appreciate regular short trips because they do not allow the DPF to regenerate. Doing a weekly long run will not necessarily help since the DPF will only regenerate when the car decides it needs to, when we had a diesel with a DPF the regen could start just as we pulled onto the drive. Turning the engine off at that time would count as a failed regen and would be logged in the ECU, only a certain number are allowed before the car puts up a light on the dash and in some cases only a dealer visit and £££'s will clear it. Others give you instructions in the handbook (but many never read it) about what to do which normally involves driving for about 30 minutes between certain revs (normally in the 1500 to 2000 range) in a higher gear, the light should go out, if it doesn't it's a dealer visit.

When myself and the wife last had diesels we both did a decent daily commute, mine was about 30 miles, the wifes 40 miles and we never had an issue. When I went part time and next replaced the car I bought a petrol knowing that the reduced miles could have a detrimental effect long term. When the wife retired it coincided with her having a new car and again she bought a petrol for this reason.

Having owned modern turbo petrols now for 8 years I find that diesels are totally unnecessary for most car users. The turbo petrols actually drive better than the diesels and the fuel consumption is not much heavier. When you consider the price difference the time taken to recoup the extra cost of a diesel might never be reached if its a low mileage car and when you add in any DPF issues it simply does not make sense.

If I was still doing 20,000 miles a year i would probably still be driving a diesel but not at the OP's suggested 5000 miles a year.

And with regards to driving long distances to charge the battery that does not make any sense at all. A battery charger capable of charging all modern battery types on the car (as recommended by our Skoda dealer) cost me £23 recently and it works a treat. Looking at the daily energy consumption on the days I have used it there appears to be very little extra power used. Makes far more sense than making extra trips simply to charge the battery.