What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
FT: Insurers examine cutting premiums for greener - Warning

Insurers examine cutting premiums for greener motoring customers

www.ft.com/content/d6ed52bb-ddf3-43dd-98db-9cacc1a...8
(It is behind a paywall).

"Insurers are examining ways to encourage customers to reduce their carbon footprint, including offering lower premiums, as the industry faces growing pressure to use its underwriting policies to tackle global warming..... "

Essentially they plan to give lower insurance to greener cars.

However, I question a lot of this. I have a 16 year old a low mileage users. Am I going to be the doing the environment any favour, by buying the latest £50,000 Tesla? What is the cost of making this new Tesla versus the cost of continuing to use the same car?. It is n't just the carbon footprint of runing the car, but also manufacturing it.

It my car is well made, because it has more steel then a car made today with more plastic, which is better? The plastic car will have more broken parts.

There has to be a fair way of working this out.....

FT: Insurers examine cutting premiums for greener - skidpan

To be honest I don't think they will tempt many owners out of a 16 year old banger into a brand new Tesla to save a few pounds on insurance.

It might get a few people to buy "greener" to save on insurance but in reality the £250 a year I pay for insurance is peanuts compared to the rest of my motoring costs, especially depreciation.

FT: Insurers examine cutting premiums for greener - Engineer Andy

The whole point of insurance is to price the cost of repairs against the risk of an accident, theft, etc, etc, in addition to the claims history down to the person driving the car and the risk of claims due to the area the live/work.

Whether a car is 'green' or not should have, in my opinion, zero to do with the premium charged, especially as many poorer people cannot afford EVs and won't for the forseeable future, let alone 'newer' ICE engined (including hybrid) cars.

It hardly encourages them to be a responsible owner (keeping up with maintenance) or driver if they see Tarquin on the other side of town secure a lower rate for his Tesla, not because the risk is lower, but because it doesn't emit anything at the exhaust pipe, despite its performance or cost of repair.

If EVs become safer, more secure and cheaper to repair, then fine, but I think this sort of virtue-signalling is ridiculous. We have enough of such wokeness elsewhere in the business world (amongst many spheres in society today) - the last thing we need is another area, especially where those at the bottom will likely be subsidising (yet again, as with grants for EVs) the well-off.