Corsa B - C12NZ - Corsa B - Steaming coolant from radiator inlet - David Berrisford

Hi there!

My corsa B has a cooling problem. When the temperature goes up beyond 100, steam starts hissing out of the radiator inlet pipe. This happens after about 20 minutes of being sat idle.

- The coolant fan never comes on

- The cabin heater is hot

- I recently did a coolant flush and filled with new coolant

- I've taken the hose in question off to check for a blockage and it looks ok

- I've recently replaced the head gasket

Any ideas/advice welcome!

Corsa B - C12NZ - Corsa B - Steaming coolant from radiator inlet - blindspot

the sensor at top of rad has packed up . easy fix . unscrew and take to any motor factor who will have one in store.. when replacing get a reinforced washer, and use a little sealant on thread

Corsa B - C12NZ - Corsa B - Steaming coolant from radiator inlet - David Berrisford

As in there is another sensor in the top of the radiator? I know there is a thermostat on the side of the engine block under the timing belt cover, but I don't think it can be that as the point where the coolant is boiling is after the thermostat.

Corsa B - C12NZ - Corsa B - Steaming coolant from radiator inlet - elekie&a/c doctor

The sensor by the cam belt is the coolant temp sensor for the fuel injection system . The one n the radiator is for the cooling fan. Join the 2 wires together to see if the fan runs. If it doesn't , the problem is else where. If the fan runs with both wires joined ,then it may be the fan switch. But remember, if the water temp at the location of the switch is not sufficient, then the fan will not operate.

Corsa B - C12NZ - Corsa B - Steaming coolant from radiator inlet - edlithgow

If it isn't the temperature sensor it could be wiring (including earth) fan relay, or the fan itself.

You can test the sensor by sticking it in very hot water and seeing the effect on resistance as measured with a multimeter. Fiddly and quite easy to scald yourself.

Intermittent problem on the Skywing, and I ended up making a breakout for the fan relay and bypassing the wiring loom from the sensor with new external wire.

Seems to be working so far, though my dodgy crimped connectors are probably vulnerable to damage.

The "intermittant problem" resulted in it hoiling over during both the previous 6-monthly emission testing sessions, straining the testers patience (which I definately need to conserve) and requiring retests.

I put two sets of "emergency " bypass wiring in to directly supply the fan, one under the bonnet and another operated from the cab

I forgot to remove or hide these on the test session yesterday, generating a certain amount of extracurricular noseying about on the part of the tester, as did my IKEA meat thermometer temperature gauge substitute, but they passed it anyway.

Edited by edlithgow on 01/05/2021 at 01:14

Ok, so I replaced the "coolant temperature sensor/fan switch" in the bottom of the radiator, and the fan now comes on after idling for a while as it should! Success! Also with the low power, I realised that I didn't torque up my spark plugs when I was checking them, and doing them up properly seems to have sorted that out! (silly me)

Cheers all!

keep an eye on your temperature gauge, as coolant leaks from these is usual cause of scrappage

know when fan should kick in. listen out for it