What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VAG recall - Andy Bairsto
All VW passats from 96 to july this year,A4s from 94,A6s from97 ans seat leons have faulty front lower wishbones.recall announced in Auto Bild this weekend.The ball joint can fail and the the two other flex connection can fail .It is the long arm that goes from the bottom of the front hub to the body
VAG recall - David Lacey
The arms on my A4 have been replaced previously (in 1998) under warranty by the previous owner. Could this be in relation to this, I wonder?

Yes, this is in relation to the front track control arms/wishbones that secure the bottom of the hub to the front chassis section/subframe.

It will be interesting to see what happens over here.
Thanks for the info Andy.

Rgds

David
Re: VAG recall - Andy Bairsto
Apparently they fitted the same faulty part on the original recall.It normally lasts about 40000km but then can lead to catastrofic failure, a new part is now available.That is this new recall I think
regards Andy
Re: VAG recall - honest john
Many thanks to Andy. Have added to Car by Car Breakdown. Bought a DAZ, an Auto Zeitung and an Auto Strassenverkehr when I was in Geramny last week, but neglacted to buy an Auto Bild. The news should be repeated in this week's UK Auto Express.

HJ
Re: VAG recall - Andrew Smith
I too had to have all the lower links replaced on my A4 (under warranty). This happened at 30000 miles which I thought was a bit poor. I've no idea how much this would have cost if I'd had to pay for it but if it is a common fault then it might be worth adding that aswell.
Re: VAG recall - Christopher Franks
Have two A4s.

The newer one - Avant Tdi 1998 - has had both lower front arms and balljoints changed at 68,000 miles by non franchised dealer. (Franchised dealer cost would have been £1,100) Symptons were a continuous creaking noise at low speeds.

The older one - 2.6 Quattro 1995 - has now done 108,500 miles without a single creak, despite living a very hard life here in London.

This car needs a new evaporator for the leaking A/C. Dealer quotes £1,300 + v.a.t.
Any ideas ??

CSMF