What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i30 Crdi - Used car repairs - Grease_monkey

Looking for some advice and opinions.

End of November 2020 I brought a used Hyundai i30 from a car dealer (Not Hyundai) I only had the car 2 hours in my possession before the car was returned to the dealer, Rear brakes were binding and making a racket and had 2 TPMS warnings. I didn't see the car again for 5 days whilst the brake pads were replaced and a tyre pressure sensor changed. A week later the car was returned again, another tyre pressure warning and a nail found in the tyre which was replaced.

3 and a half months on from when I purchased the car, the engine management light came on. Scan brought up code P2271 (Bank 1 Sensor 2 Oxygen sensor stuck rich) Connector checked and cleaned and code reset, code back the next day. Sensor is suspect. Sensor is dealer only part and comes with inflated cost, £251 for the sensor. I have contacted the dealer to be told by them the car is now out of warranty with them (only 3 months warranty) I have politely informed them that as the car is under 6 months after purchase, sales of goods act its assumed that the fault was there when I purchased the car and I'm required to give them the opportunity to rectify.

Your legal rights | AA (theaa.com)

This isn't a back street garage but a reputable nationwide company. I've emailed the sales guy a link to the above AA link which is very clear where I stand.

Has anyone else been in this position and did they get the resolution they wanted, i only want the car repaired.

Are Oxygen sensors on diesel i30's unreliable?

Edited by Grease_monkey on 30/03/2021 at 18:09

Hyundai i30 Crdi - Used car repairs - Falkirk Bairn

Write a letter to the dealer. Recorded delivery - keep a copy and the receipt from the PO.

Letter to include ref the 6 month protection from consumer Act etc

Ask them to reply within say 10 days - failing this you will take action through the courts.

Is it a well known chain, based in Glasgow?

Hyundai i30 Crdi - Used car repairs - _

You say the car was from a dealer, (not Hyundai)

How old is it, How much did you pay? what mileage?

when I bought the MGZS it also had a tpms warning, (nail in tyre)and vatious other faults, but that was a 10 month old car..

Do as someone else here says, and if you can manage without, return the car, IF you bought on finance, get the finance company involved, they will (or should) act on your behalf.

Above all, Stay polite, as I am sure you will.

Hyundai i30 Crdi - Used car repairs - Grease_monkey

The car is 5 years old, just out of the Hyundai Warranty with 19,600 miles on it now. Don't want to return the car, just have it repaired. The issues I had with the car when I purchased it, I should have rejected it then but I persevered with it. Probably wrong judgement on my part.

Write a letter to the dealer. Recorded delivery - keep a copy and the receipt from the PO.

Letter to include ref the 6 month protection from consumer Act etc

Ask them to reply within say 10 days - failing this you will take action through the courts.

Is it a well known chain, based in Glasgow?

The car isn't from that Scottish outfit. I'm not going to name and shame at this stage.

Hyundai i30 Crdi - Used car repairs - _

Thanks for updating, how much did you pay compared to others on offer at that time, was it at a premium because of condition and mileage.

So, not a cheap old car, so your rights are greater.

I would say, buy the car back from me and we'll call it quits, althoiugh they may charge perhaps 50p a mile for usage. Or tell them that you will get the car repaired, after getting an engineers report and you WILL take them to the small claims court.

It won't cost you a lot, but should prod them nicely.