What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Home Wallbox - EV Charging point - Cris_on_the_gas

Considering an electric vehicle and having a wall box installed. It is permissible or acceptable to have the wallbox mounted inside a double garage. Does charging an EV emit any flammable or noxious gasses.

For security inside the garage is better, also as I am one of those strange people who regularly garage both cars so this would be more convenient. However do not want to risk a fire or have any health issues.

Edited by Cris_on_the_gas on 08/03/2021 at 09:22

Home Wallbox - EV Charging point - Bromptonaut

Considering an electric vehicle and having a wall box installed. It is permissible or acceptable to have the wallbox mounted inside a double garage. Does charging an EV emit any flammable or noxious gasses.

AIUI the issue with flammable gasses etc is a characteristic of lead acid batteries, EVs use more modern technology.

The only way to fins out however is to ask the companies who you get quotes from.

Home Wallbox - EV Charging point - skidpan

Does charging an EV emit any flammable or noxious gasses.

Charge our Superb in the garage, not an issue, its not on the list of DO NOTS in the manual. The cable monitors temps etc and suspends charging if it gets too hot, starts again once cooled down. No idea if this has happened, I don't live in the garage.

Home Wallbox - EV Charging point - Andrew-T

<< The cable monitors temps etc and suspends charging if it gets too hot, starts again once cooled down. No idea if this has happened, I don't live in the garage. >>

You clearly need a smart meter, Skidpan ....

Home Wallbox - EV Charging point - skidpan

<< The cable monitors temps etc and suspends charging if it gets too hot, starts again once cooled down. No idea if this has happened, I don't live in the garage. >>

You clearly need a smart meter, Skidpan ....

We have a smart meter, had one for 3 years. Unfortunately the in house display no worky and all EDF did initially was to send a replacement which still does not work. Then they tell me its the main meter which needs replacing but because of Covid they cannot do it and as recent as Saturday I had an e-mail saying the main meter is now fixed (its in a locked courtyard and they have not been to the property so how did that happen) the matter is in hand and will be sorted by 15.03.

Current deal expires in April, looking for a new supplier.