What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - JaimeS

Hi,

Looking for some advice on a parking fine I recently received.

I received the PCN for parking in a layby. There were double yellow lines on the road but nothing else indicating there was a restriction to parking.

Also I didn't receive any actual ticket only a plastic wallet with nothing inside.

Is there grounds for an appeal?

Many Thanks

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - RT

Double yellow lines ARE a parking restriction - unless you're exempted for loading or Blue Badge holder.

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - daveyjp

Which organisation issued the 'ticket'?

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - Bromptonaut

What exactly is the documentation you've got so far, ie have you hadsomething through the post as well as the wallet left on your car?

If you've had something by post is it headed Notice to Owner.

And as Daveyjp says, who/what is the issuing authority?

HI,

Thanks, yes I have had something through the post which is a notice to owner.

It is from WPPP - Welsh Penalty Processing Partnership.

Hi.

Thanks yes I'm aware of that but the double yellows were on the road not in the parking bay so I wasn't parked on them.

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - ExA35Owner

Your best bet for well informed advice is pepipoo.com

Be aware that parking restrictions extend to the property boundary, so double yellows apply to the pavement (if any) and the grass verge (if any) and quite possibly to the layby unless it's marked otherwise.

HI,

Thanks for this.

I cant find a section in the highway code which states this.

Does anyone know which rule this specifically comes from?

Many Thanks

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - John Boy

This website gives tips for avoiding a fine:

www.ceredigion.gov.uk/resident/travel-roads-parkin.../

Could you unwittingly have fallen foul of this one?

Don't park in bays reserved for disabled badge holders or specific classes of vehicle unless you are entitled to do so

Hi.

Thanks yes I'm aware of that but the double yellows were on the road not in the parking bay so I wasn't parked on them.

So if the WPPP are involved it's a Council ticket not one issued on Private Land. If you've got the NtO do you have another 14 days to pay at the discounted rate? If so you need to decide whether to hold your hand up and if so pay promptly to keep it as cheap as possible. .

Unless Welsh Councils are radically different to those in England you need to take notice and comply with time limits. If they're ignored they WILL go to bailiffs. By that point it's too late to do much except pay through the nose except in exceptional circumstances.

On the other hand I think Welsh appeals go to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal so if you've genuine grounds and wanted to take it that far you'll get a fair hearing.

I'm not sure whether the apparent disappearance of the ticket so you were left with just a plastic envelope gets you anywhere, the regulations for Wales are (I think) these:

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/362/regulation/10...e

If the Enforcement Officer can show it was attached - they usually have camera to record this stuff - then fact it was removed by a person or persons unknown probably won't help. There may well be cases on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website covering this.

As to whether an infringement was committed, can you link us to a picture of the site, eg on Streetview?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/01/2021 at 15:26

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - Andrew-T

I'm aware of that but the double yellows were on the road not in the parking bay so I wasn't parked on them.

People have parked 'inside' double yellows under the impression that they could. Soon discovered that they weren't allowed to.

Not sure of the purpose of a lay-by if it can't be parked in though. Was it a proper lay-by or something smaller ?

HI,

Thanks for this.

Many Thanks

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - RT

HI,

Thanks for this.

Many Thanks

Highway Code Road markings - The Highway Code - Guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

"Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge"

Edited by RT on 12/01/2021 at 12:40

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - Gibbo_Wirral

Any chance of a google streetview link of the place it happened?

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - bathtub tom

Any chance of a google streetview link of the place it happened?

The OP's already been asked for this, but seems to have ignored it.

Skoda Octavia - Parking fine layby with no actual ticket issued - daveyjp
Double lines apply from the centre of the carriageway to the back of the public highway, which could be a lay-by or footpath.

Info is in the Road Markings section of Highway Code.

HI,

Thanks for this.

Many Thanks

I think it's rule 238, if you're parked on part of the Highway then the restriction applies.

Do you have a Streetview or similar image showing the location that you can provide a link to?

I do have a picture but not sure if I can paste it here.

Ill see if I can share a link.

If you've got a Jpeg image on your phone or camera you'll need to find a site to host it then post the link.

Unless it's somewhere off normal public roads it should be on streetview even if you need to describe differences.