What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - Emergency brake assist - sammy1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9128987/Rural-road-block-triggers-emergency-brakes-cars-forcing-drivers-skid-road.html

Technology! I found this article reported from Somerset which will amuse some, unless perhaps you are following close behind.

All - Emergency brake assist - Bromptonaut

That article is thoroughly confused. It's not emergency brake assist that's the issue it's the forward looking 'radar' that applies the breaks (sic) automatically. In my Skoda it's called Front Assist.

First it sounds an alerting note then pretty quickly adds fierce (ie ABS triggered) braking. It's activated a couple of times when my scan of the road was looking ahead and the vehicle in front started to slow. I don't think in either case collision was imminent, my scan would have cycled back to directly in front and I'd have controlled the closing rate in plenty of time. Nice to know it was there though.

If it catches somebody close behind they're too close.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 09/01/2021 at 15:45

All - Emergency brake assist - mcb100

A bit puzzled as to how applying the brakes forces the car off the road? And, dear Daily Mail, its 'brakes' and not 'breaks'.

They've done (copied & pasted) a lovely description of the wrong technology.

Edited by mcb100 on 09/01/2021 at 15:01

All - Emergency brake assist - Bromptonaut

A bit puzzled as to how applying the brakes forces the car off the road?

Probably hyperbole but going onto a steel cattle grid with brakes at full ABS for tarmac might be 'interesting'.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 09/01/2021 at 15:12

All - Emergency brake assist - skidpan

Front assist has surprised us a couple of times in the Superb and Fabia. Been in total control both times and was prepared to brake if necessary. The daftest was a junction on a bend, The Fabia sensed a car approaching to the give way sign on the left (we had the right of way) and decided we should stop, the wife carped herself and shouted at me "what the feck are you doing". Nobody behind luckily.

Nearly a divorce.

All - Emergency brake assist - catsdad

My Mk7 Golf occasionally displays the Front Assist light when driving but in white, not amber or red. I can’t find anything online or in the manual to explain why a white version would appear.

It may be a preliminary warning? Anyone know please?

All - Emergency brake assist - Bolt

Pity they all dont give the system the same name, brake assist on the Civic is the quicker you take your foot off the accelerator and hit the brake pedal the hasher the brakes are applied, which doesn`t cause a skid whatever the surface, only uncomfortably hard braking with ABS.

if your over 19mph it doesn`t work, so you could skid on steel as did happen once or twice going over drain covers when wet

system used on that is emergency braking by lidar camera and parking sensors combined which catches you by surprise when someone cuts you up from left or right too close to you,

All - Emergency brake assist - brum

system used on that is emergency braking by lidar camera and parking sensors combined which catches you by surprise when someone cuts you up from left or right too close to you,

There is no lidar on any current production car. Lidar is very expensive tech, used on some but not all self driving prototypes, not Tesla which relies on cameras and radar.

All - Emergency brake assist - mcb100
I have to disagree - Lidar has been in use in Autonomous Emergency Braking for a few years now.
All - Emergency brake assist - Bolt

There is no lidar on any current production car. Lidar is very expensive tech, used on some but not all self driving prototypes, not Tesla which relies on cameras and radar.

Slip of the tongue so to speak, but it works well and I notice a lot of people do not like it because it takes control away from the driver, imo its quicker and better than any driver even if some don`t like it.

I`ve gone back to an older car as its cheaper and less expensive to repair than my old 2016 car, I got a shock at a repair cost it needed out of warranty...

All - Emergency brake assist - skidpan

My Mk7 Golf occasionally displays the Front Assist light when driving but in white, not amber or red. I can’t find anything online or in the manual to explain why a white version would appear.

It may be a preliminary warning? Anyone know please?

Depends on the display. That on out Mk3 Leon, Mk 3 Fabia and first Mk 3 Superb were on B & W displays so all warnings were in white. On the Superb PHEV its a colour display thus I expect to get some variations. problem is I am colour blind and cannot tell the difference between an amber and red light anyway (don't panic, fine with traffic lights, red is at the top amber in the centre not had an issue in 47 years).

All - Emergency brake assist - catsdad

Thanks skid pan. My car has colour so the mystery of my white light version of the warning remains. Frustratingly when I Google it comes up as a question that has been asked but there is no link to any answer.

All - Emergency brake assist - edlithgow

Whaddya mean "All"?

I'm pretty sure I would have noticed that. Might have missed it on one or two, if it never triggered.

(I suppose if it was broken I'd have failed an MOT)