What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - Ishaq Kareem

Hi,

I recently purchased my VW Golf Mk6 2010 which has the 7-Speed DQ200 DSG gearbox. I've done some research and have read many forums on this particular DSG gearbox and learnt it appears to be very problematic, with serious and very expensive mechanical issues being inevitable.

The gearbox is also "sealed for life", therefore gearbox oil changes at 40,000 mile intervals cannot be carried out.

The mileage is only around 56000 miles and the drive in general is really good. I'm a conventional driver averaging about 4000 miles annually, rarely ever speed or drive above the speed limit, but on the odd occasion I do seem to experience a slight jerk whether it's driving off from standstill or whilst driving in general.

Apart from the odd jerk, which I fear may indicate future mechatronic issues, the car is solid and very good to me, and I was just wondering whether it's worth keeping the car and hope for the best or sell it while it's in good shape? And if so, are there any recommended auto's that rarely have any problems within the £8k budget, or should I stick to manual?

Many thanks in advance

Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - SLO76
Get shot of it.

Reliable alternatives include.

Honda Civic
Toyota Auris
Mazda 3

Stick with petrol and avoid automated manuals such as VAG’s DSG and Fords Powershift.
Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - badbusdriver

DSG boxes, even the weaker 'dry clutch' version you have can be reliable, but that is going to depend on how it has been driven. As you bought yours 2nd hand, you have no way of knowing this. And as such, I would also get rid of it.

BTW, I wouldn't go assuming the occasional jerkiness you mention is a sign of iminent failure, from what I read of automated manuals, esp dry clutch versions, this is just how they are.

Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - mickyh7

My Audi A7 with the same box was jerking at 37000 miles.

Bill came to 4.5k from an Independent!

Audi wanted closer to 7k

It needed a reconditioned Mechtronics Unit.

Fortunately it was covered under warranty.

Been fine for the last 20k.

Be careful?

Edited by mickyh7 on 12/01/2021 at 08:51

Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - skidpan

My Audi A7 with the same box was jerking at 37000 miles.

Very different box to that in a 2010 Golf 1.4 TSI, doubt if there are any common components.

In reality there must have been hundreds of thousands of these boxes fitted in the VAG brands over the years since it was introduced and whilst its clear some have had issues a vast majority have been fine.

From what I have read on the Web (the source of all that's true) a majority of failures are connected with cars that have been tuned or used in the manual mode for a considerable time. As suggested above since the car was only recently purchased you have no idea how its been driven/treated/maintained during the first 10 years of its life so its is a risk. But that equally applies to any 10 year old unknown purchase.

If you look you will find someone on the web rubbishing any brand but unfortunately VAG brands appear to have more detractors than others. 4 out of our last 5 purchases have been VAG cars and we are very happy obviously, the last one has a DSG box.

Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - Engineer Andy

I suspect as well as those owners modding their cars, I doubt if these sorts of gearboxes like being driven in slow stop-start heavy traffic, the system effectively slipping the clutch so often. Even standard manuals don't like that.

I suspect in the OP's case, the previous owner noticed the problem with the gear change and got rid of it before it became an expensive problem. The OP might be lucky, especially if their driving pattern is predominantly driving on free-flowing roads, though I probably wouldn't risked buying a car with that type of gearbox in the first place.

Moral of the story for the OP - do your research first before buying.

Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - Senexdriver

Before I bought my Audi A4 s-tronic I thought long and hard about going automatic, or in this case semi-automatic. There are plenty of detractors, but take note of owners too. I read all sorts of reviews and forums to gain as much authoritative knowledge as possible. I discovered that yes, there have been some horror stories but there were some amazing accounts as well, including one guy at 107,000 trouble-free miles in his VW Touran, still on his original DSG gearbox.

The conclusion I came to was that, as with all mass-produced products, there are good and not so good examples, but that if you get a good one, you’ll be fine. Sure the gearbox in your Golf may be a gamble, but if it’s going well the chances are it’s been driven considerately. I don’t know to what degree your gearbox is jerky, but all VW DSGs are inclined to be jerky, it’s a common criticism. Mine has been jerky since new, usually when it has anticipated the wrong gear for what I’m trying to do, but I’ve learnt to give it time to think in certain situations. My wife has an A3 auto which has also been jerky since new, although less so than mine.

I just wouldn’t dismiss a DSG example out of hand and would want to find out a little about the history of the car, if possible.

Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - oldgit

I'd go for the new Ford Focus Automatics now they have reverted to the older more reliable torque converter type boxes. Not lightning fast but hey, who cares as they are smooth an not a mixture of b****** electromechanicals.

Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - skidpan

Most autos with torque converters still have lots of electronics etc in modern versions. Gone are the days of a 3 speed auto with no frills.

Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - oldgit

Most autos with torque converters still have lots of electronics etc in modern versions. Gone are the days of a 3 speed auto with no frills.

You know I was referring to the DSG or Powershift boxes that don't have torque converters or slush drives.

Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (2010) 1.4 TSI Automatic - VW Golf Mk6 DQ200 DSG 7 Speed - Worth Keeping? - SLO76
Dealers are highly wary of DSG and Powershift gearboxes and they’ll typically underbid them as part exchanges and generally will avoid them at auction unless very cheap simply because most of them have been stung badly by them. While it’s true many owners will have no trouble the failure rates on these gearboxes are still appalling compared to conventional torque converter boxes. I know dealers and private individuals who’ve suffered crippling repair bills on there and I’m not prepared to recommend one to anyone. Some firms do make mistakes and all too often they don’t learn quickly from them. Mazda’s Skyactiv diesels, Fords Powershift and VW’s DSG gearboxes, Renaults 1200 TCe motors, Rovers K series HGF etc etc. There’s loads of times when firms get it wrong but don’t fix the issue when it becomes common knowledge which serves only to ruin reputations and customer bank balances.