What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Estate/MPV - Upgrading the family vehicle - Alex Rankin

The time is fast approaching for me to ditch my Nissan Note for something a little roomier, more up to date (and a little punchier). I would really appreciate any advice on what to consider.

Looking for a 5-seater, have a budget of £5000 and would need to handle a mix of motorway/town/country roads and the commute.

I'm NOT keen on ridiculous wagons like a Zafira or Picasso and no desire for a 4x4. Interested in estates and modest MPVs that have good economy and can get up the hills.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Estate/MPV - Upgrading the family vehicle - Bromptonaut

As is my wont I'll suggest a Berlingo or its Peugeot badge mate.

Estate/MPV - Upgrading the family vehicle - badbusdriver

I'm NOT keen on ridiculous wagons like a Zafira or Picasso

Curious to know what you mean by this?. As a £5k budget isn't all that much and certain versions of the Zafira would appear to fit your needs nicely.

As is my wont I'll suggest a Berlingo or its Peugeot badge mate.

The problem with these is that £5k budget will get you a 1.6 turbo diesel (yes, that one!) and, apart from the odd one or two 1.6 petrols, nothing else.

The problem with these is that £5k budget will get you a 1.6 turbo diesel (yes, that one!) and, apart from the odd one or two 1.6 petrols, nothing else.

My understanding is that the 'diesel of doom' tag sticks hardest to the 16valve version of the PSA 1.6 HDi. We've run the 8 valve version in our 2013 'lingo to well over 100k miles with no doom so far.

Estate/MPV - Upgrading the family vehicle - Andrew-T

My understanding is that the 'diesel of doom' tag sticks hardest to the 16valve version of the PSA 1.6 HDi. We've run the 8 valve version in our 2013 'lingo to well over 100k miles with no doom so far.

And we have run our 2008 version in a 207 (admittedly only to 80K miles) with absolutely no doom at all. Its original battery has just become too weak to continue, and been replaced. Perhaps the absence of a DPF has helped longevity.

I appreciate it's not much of a budget but keen to keep the car as streamline as possible. All the Zafira's I've seen look like small scale buses which I don't imagine are that economical for the commute.

What's wrong with the diesel? 1.6 is what I'm aiming for. Seems to be a greater selection of diesels on offer with family cars (maybe because people are trying to get rid of them). I'm tempted as commute is a good half hour at 40/50 mph as well motorway for the supermarket.

Estate/MPV - Upgrading the family vehicle - barney100

Volvo V70, Volvo estates are not fashionable but what workhorses.

When I was looking for a new van a couple of years ago I was very much put off the Berlingo/Partner because of the reputation. When I did some digging, including speaking to someone I know who buys and sells cars and vans (and who personally ran a Berlingo), what I found was that the reliability or otherwise of these engines was dependent to a great degree on how well it has been serviced. Two particular points being the service interval, which is too long, but also that it is crucial that the correct grade oil has been used.

So while I do feel the nickname is maybe a little unfair, and am very aware that the engine can be very reliable, I'd still avoid buying one used without very detailed service records which shows evidence that the correct oil has always been used and that the service intervals were shorter than (apparently) recommended by the manufacturer, which I believe at least initially, was 20k miles.

Estate/MPV - Upgrading the family vehicle - daveyK_UK
Berlingo multispace or Partner Tepee
Estate/MPV - Upgrading the family vehicle - Andrew-T

<< I'd still avoid buying one used without very detailed service records which shows evidence that the correct oil has always been used and that the service intervals were shorter than (apparently) recommended by the manufacturer, which I believe at least initially, was 20k miles. >>

My 207 HDi calls for 12,500 miles, which = 20K kilometres. I have always changed oil and filter about every 8K miles for just the reason you suggest. Although it was never serviced at a Pug dealer, my indie used correct oil, 10/40 semi-syn, which it has always had.

Last April I booked it at the local ATS for MoT and oil change, took it there and was told they would use 'the recommended 5/30 oil'. I said I wanted 10/40 but they wouldn't budge so I went elsewhere.

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/12/2020 at 09:25

Totally agree. Solid vehicles, but have rarely seen one on offer, except with well over 100k miles on the clock. Again, I appreciate my budget probably means that's what I would be faced with.

Estate/MPV - Upgrading the family vehicle - SLO76

Plenty of decent family estates about but at this money I’d stick with petrol and I’d look at Japanese engined models like...

Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol

Mazda 6 2.0 petrol

Honda Accord 2.0 petrol

Ford Mondeo 2.0/1.6 Ecoboost petrol

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - don’t touch the 1.0 Ecoboost!

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol

Plenty of decent family estates about but at this money I’d stick with petrol and I’d look at Japanese engined models like...

Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol

Mazda 6 2.0 petrol

Honda Accord 2.0 petrol

Ford Mondeo 2.0/1.6 Ecoboost petrol

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - don’t touch the 1.0 Ecoboost!

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol

Meant to separate the Astra which of course doesn’t have a Japanese designed engine but it’s very worthy of inclusion as it’s a simple and robust design.

Cheers, good shout.

Not many going in my region unfortunately. Might need to look a bit further afield.

Why stick with petrol?

I appreciate it's not much of a budget but keen to keep the car as streamline as possible. All the Zafira's I've seen look like small scale buses which I don't imagine are that economical for the commute.

With all respect Alex, the thread title says estate/MPV. MPV's by their very nature are taller and more spacious/practical/versatile versions of normal family cars. So if you don't want something with the proportions of an MPV (like a Zafira or Picasso), why put MPV in the title?.

As for aerodynamics, this will be more of a factor the faster you are travelling, but unless you spend a lot of time at or above the national speed limit of 70mph, the difference between an Astra and a Zafira won't be as big as you think.

What's wrong with the diesel? 1.6 is what I'm aiming for. Seems to be a greater selection of diesels on offer with family cars (maybe because people are trying to get rid of them). I'm tempted as commute is a good half hour at 40/50 mph as well motorway for the supermarket.

With regards to diesel, £5k is a price point where you are going to have relatively modern diesel engines, i.e, complex, and with emissions equipment like DPF filters to worry about. Because of this complexity, not only will servicing cost more, but if something goes wrong on it, the cost to fix it is going to be considerably higher than with a simple naturally aspirated petrol, possibly to the extent of effectively writing of the car. So you should be very wary of going diesel unless you do the mileage to justify it, or tow something heavy (and so need the torque).

Edited by badbusdriver on 20/12/2020 at 18:06

With regards to diesel, £5k is a price point where you are going to have relatively modern diesel engines, i.e, complex, and with emissions equipment like DPF filters to worry about. Because of this complexity, not only will servicing cost more, but if something goes wrong on it, the cost to fix it is going to be considerably higher than with a simple naturally aspirated petrol, possibly to the extent of effectively writing of the car. So you should be very wary of going diesel unless you do the mileage to justify it, or tow something heavy (and so need the torque).

While I take the point about expensive repairs is routine servicing more on diesels. I suppose the oil change interval might be shorter and therefore be needed more frequently. But then plugs don't need changing and coil packs seem to be a regular issue on modern petrols.

Estate/MPV - Upgrading the family vehicle - madf

While I take the point about expensive repairs is routine servicing more on diesels. I suppose the oil change interval might be shorter and therefore be needed more frequently. But then plugs don't need changing and coil packs seem to be a regular issue on modern petrols.

Diesel EGR valves fouling are a common issue.

And most UK garages - at the £5k price level it's unlikely to be dealer serviced- are short of expertise in this area if some horror stories are to be believed.

Why stick with petrol?

Reliability. Diesels are far more complex and much more likely to go expensively wrong. At this money petrol is the way to go unless you can easily fund four figure repair bills.