What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - BPL

I don't like EVs, hybrids & not even that keen on automatics

What newish ICE car should I buy now? I was thinking that to avoid sinking like a stone in value it would have to appeal to petrol/diesel heads and/or be an aspiring future classic. Sadly can't be a sportscar with a hard ride or have silly low profile tyres. Bigger engine preferred. I would like to celebrate the end of car transport as we know it....Any thoughts guys?

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - sammy1

ICE will be running well after 2030 which is what you meant. In 2050 there will probably be the equivalent of the London to Brighton run. I suspect there will be one hell of a queue for ice in 2029 as new cars can easily last for a good 20 years after this. They will no doubt be taxed to the hilt.

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - Terry W

If the 2030 date sticks, only the most frugal ICE cars will saleable in 5 years time.

EV and hybrid sales are running at 12% in the UK + another 23% non plug-in "mild hybrids" In 2025 I expect sales of diesel vehicles to be less than 10% of the market, and petrol less than 25%.

By all means buy a testament to ICE times past - but don't expect the experience to be cheap unless you keep it for the long term.

By 2030 it will be valueless with a gross oversupply of S/H ICE cars in the market. By then a number of traditional manufacturers will have gone to the wall so spares will be more difficult to source, petrol stations will be closing, towns and cities will increasingly have clean air zones, and vehicle taxes will seek to eliminate ICE entirely.

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - RT

If the 2030 date sticks, only the most frugal ICE cars will saleable in 5 years time.

EV and hybrid sales are running at 12% in the UK + another 23% non plug-in "mild hybrids" In 2025 I expect sales of diesel vehicles to be less than 10% of the market, and petrol less than 25%.

By all means buy a testament to ICE times past - but don't expect the experience to be cheap unless you keep it for the long term.

By 2030 it will be valueless with a gross oversupply of S/H ICE cars in the market. By then a number of traditional manufacturers will have gone to the wall so spares will be more difficult to source, petrol stations will be closing, towns and cities will increasingly have clean air zones, and vehicle taxes will seek to eliminate ICE entirely.

There's 40 million cars in the UK - annual sales are 2.5 million (ish) per year - so even after 2030 it'll take many years to replace all the IC cars.

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - badbusdriver

Regardless of what effect the ban on new ICE cars will have on values, without knowing your budget, its pointless offering any suggestions.

Regardless of what effect the ban on new ICE cars will have on values, without knowing your budget, its pointless offering any suggestions.

£30k the less the depreciation the more I'll pay

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - Sofa Spud

The rate at which EVs are evolving, by 2030 they'll all have a decent range - as good as the best ones have now. Public charging will be much quicker and more convenient. Lots of homes will be equipped with fast overnight chargers (not the ultra quick zappers, but much better than a 13 amp socket).

For new car buyers, EVs will be in the 'what's not to like?' camp.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 16/11/2020 at 16:42

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - bathtub tom

The rate at which EVs are evolving, by 2030 they'll all have a decent range - as good as the best ones have now. Public charging will be much quicker and more convenient. Lots of homes will be equipped with fast overnight chargers (not the ultra quick zappers, but much better than a 13 amp socket).

What about the materials required to manufacture all the batteries?

What about the infrastructure for charging cars for folk that have no designated parking?

What about the electricity generation required for all the cars that require charging overnight?

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - Miniman777

What about the infrastructure for charging cars for folk that have no designated parking?

What about the electricity generation required for all the cars that require charging overnight?

You can imagine the lengthy queues for 30 or so chargers at Gordano services on a summer Saturday with thousands heading for the West Country in their posey electric go karts.....

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - _

It will be easy for some.

Example..

ORB....

Has an off road parking space and private driveway with easy access for a rapid home charger,

Has the money, (should he wish) to buy a battery only EV car.

So why not.

First, I have just bought an ICE car new, which hopefully will see out my driving days.

Second, will want the range to be adequate for my needs, IE a guaranteed 300 mile round trip without having to charge before getting home. This is allowing for delays, traffic jams and winter weather.

For those who do not have the place and the means to buy the car and then recharge the battery it is a whole other problem that needs to be looked at quickly.

On a slightly above average mileage of (say) 12k pa, an EV with a range of ~250 miles will need charging once or twice a week. Charging time is reducing - an 80% charge may take less than an hour.

This is the sort of duration that charging on visits to supermarkets, town centres, hotels, retail parks etc is completely plausible. What organisation will fail to ensure adequate charging points - customers who can currently afford an EV have lots of spending power.

For longer journeys a break for coffee and facilities + charge up after 2-4 hours driving is entirely reasonable.

Those with cast iron bladders who frequently get into their 600 miles range ICE and motor from Plymouth to Edinburgh without a stop may be unable to convert to EV.

For the rest of us it is only a case of how quickly charging capacity will increase to meet peak demand.

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - brum

The other day I popped into my local supermarket petrol station to top up my petrol powered car which was down to showing 260 mile range (1/3 full). I pulled up and scanned my credit card at the pump, and proceeded to pump 52 litres of fuel. Replaced the fuel hose and pressed the button for a receipt. According to the time stamps on the receipt, it took 97 secs from start of fuelling to the receipt being printed. I then had an extra 550 miles of range in my car. Approx 10 out of the 18 pumps were in use simultaneously at the time.

In what EV quoting charging rates in equivalent mph, my refuel occurred in excess of 20,000 mph.

Unless your house has a 3 phase supply (and virtually all don't) 7kW is the maximum charge rate you can expect from a domestic supply which is an EV charging rate approx 20 mph.

Edited by brum on 16/11/2020 at 23:39

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - Avant

Going back to the original question, the key thing surely is that BPL, quite understandably, would prefer a manual.

Judging by the EVs that I've tried recently, and the Kia E-Niro in particular that I've ordered, they are just as good to drive as their automatic petrol equivalents. I didn't try a Jaguar I-Pace (too big and expensive) but all the road tests suggest that nothing is lost compared with a Jaguar with an ICE.

We intend to keep SWMBO's manual A3 convertible long-term: as Audi have now dropped this model, it should hold its value and possibly in time become something of a classic. Having one manual and one automatic suits us perfectly: but if you only want / need / can afford one car, it's tempting to go for a manual unless you drive entirely in towns and cities.

Others I can think of (ignoring 'supercars') are:

VW Golf GTI

Mazda MX-5

6-cylinder BMWs (although most of these have the excellent automatic box)

Manual Porsches with 6 or 8 cylinders

Hot Ford Fiestas and Focuses

What have I missed, anybody?

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - misar

As this thread has attracted the usual EV discussion of range and charging I recommend any potential EV purchasers to browse around YouTube. As well as endless road tests of EVs there are plenty of videos about the joys of EV ownership.

Some of them are real eye openers, especially from the Americans who seem to have vastly more paying charge points than us in many urban areas. It would appear not everything is as sorted as we are lead to believe. Unless your car will spend much of its time sitting at home it seems even home chargers are not the panacea so often claimed. Not that is unless like James May you can afford to kit out your garage with the really high powered (and high cost) ultra fast charging variety, complete with a rare (in UK homes) 3 phase supply.

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - badbusdriver

VW Golf GTI

Mazda MX-5

Current shape Mustang 5.0, but you are looking at £20k+. Hence the budget question earlier.

Edited by badbusdriver on 16/11/2020 at 19:38

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - drd63

I bought my Mustang for exactly this reason. EV’s are already pretty good and rapidly getting better and I’m sure will end up being my main car in the near future. Despite this, I love the mechanical aspect of ICE’s so a fairly basic manual n/a V8 seemed like a good long term keeper.

Most cars doing an annual mileage spend around 23 hours a day stationary, including around 6-10 overnight.

Once or twice a week they need to be connected to a recharging point for (typically) 1-6 hours depending on charging rate.

The issue is in having the right number of charging points in the right place!

We intend to keep SWMBO's manual A3 convertible long-term: as Audi have now dropped this model, it should hold its value and possibly in time become something of a classic. Having one manual and one automatic suits us perfectly: but if you only want / need / can afford one car, it's tempting to go for a manual unless you drive entirely in towns and cities.

VW Golf GTI

Mazda MX-5

Brilliant list:

Would you add?

Imprezza STI boxer

Mustang v8

i30 (the fast one) 5 year warranty

Polo GTI?

Octavia vRS petrol

Budget...Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 no turbo

any more ..or less...

ICE ban after 2020 - what ICE car to buy now - sammy1

The issue is in having the right number of charging points in the right place!

A lot of drivers have a problem with somewhere to park. How long will it be before drivers are fined for overstaying on a charger!

Yes ofcourse 2030...not 2020