What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW Various - BMW Hybrids at risk of battery fire. - V4 Heaven

Funny how you don't get to hear much about issues like this in the national press when the hallowed German brands are involved.

Might upset the herd mentality.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-recalls-al...0.

I know of someone who has a £70k BMW X5 plug in hybrid that he can only charge to 30% else risk a battery fire. He isn't amused.

BMW Various - BMW Hybrids at risk of battery fire. - sammy1

Some Ford Kuga hybrids have had fires within their charging system reported in the motoring press

BMW Various - BMW Hybrids at risk of battery fire. - craig-pd130

Many publications have put the BMW and Ford stories together. Due to contaminants introduced during the battery manufacturing process, apparently. If that is the case, other makes of PHEV may be affected.

BMW Various - BMW Hybrids at risk of battery fire. - madf

German engineering at its best

And Ford? Typical of Ford with any new technology...Let the customer test it...

Edited by madf on 24/10/2020 at 10:28

BMW Various - BMW Hybrids at risk of battery fire. - Steveieb

They need to get some help from Toyota !

BMW Various - BMW Hybrids at risk of battery fire. - Falkirk Bairn

If I was buying a Hybrid I would be very wary of most car makers who have bolted on some bought in battery tech and not tested it in a real world environment.

It would have to bea petrol only car or a Toyota Hybrid who have 20+ years experience - not just 20 years experience of manufacture BUT a excellent batting average - taxi with mega miles & still working!

BMW Various - BMW Hybrids at risk of battery fire. - madf

I would never buy a Ford hybrid. Incompetent engineering and a refusal to back their own products - see EcoBoost initial stories.. Ford did not want to know.

Also CVT gearboxes etc.

BMW Various - BMW Hybrids at risk of battery fire. - Steveieb

The Germans are so late in the game but a Toyota hybrid told me that Mercedes have had some input from Toyota as they were so far behind .

But then to get shafted by the EC in demanding stricter diesel emissions which are almost impossible to achieve without cheating. The Japanese manufacturers got it right by refusing to play the diesel emissions game !

BMW Various - BMW Hybrids at risk of battery fire. - Catfood

The battery in question is made by South Korean firm, LG Chem....

They are used extensively by the Germans and the South Korean manufacturers.....