What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
CRV EX Auto - Honda - bigdee

Can you offer an opinion on performance of a 1.6 diesel engine coupled with a 9 speed auto gearbox on a 2017 model compared to a 1.5 turbo petrol engine coupled with a CVT as found on a 2019 model?

Thank you

CRV EX Auto - Honda - SLO76
Funnily enough, both are on my shopping list for later in the year. I haven’t driven the new model yet but from what I read it’s quite an improvement in most ways but it’ll be thirstier and not as torquey as the twin turbo diesel. I had a 1.6 single turbo for 4yrs and aside from the common issue of clutch judder from cold it was a very good big car if a bit dull to drive. The auto suits it better but I’d advise driving both to see which one you prefer. I’ll be doing the same along with taking a look at Volvo XC60’s too. Assuming I keep my job with the current situation.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/08/2020 at 23:36

CRV EX Auto - Honda - Dingle232

Did you ever take a look at both of those SLO? I have the CRV 1.6 i-DTEC AWD (160) and it's been absolutely bulletproof. I am only tentatively looking with used prices being so strong but have been tempted by either another CRV (Hybrid, not sure economy is that great at 15k/year) and the XC60 B5 which looks amazing but pricey.

Also looked at a Tiguan 2.0 TDi (190) but put off by the DSG.

Would welcome your advice, though am tempted to just retain the CRV.

Edited by Dingle232 on 30/07/2021 at 11:58

CRV EX Auto - Honda - SLO76
Personally, I’d just keep what you have. I looked at the newer CRV and found them overpriced compared to deals on new and used Volvo XC60’s. The CRV we had was a better riding car than the used XC60 D5 we ended up with and the 1.6 DTEC will be better on fuel. The twin turbo 160PS auto is the one to have, I don’t see much benefit from changing. In this case, stick.
CRV EX Auto - Honda - Dingle232

Thank you. That's very much what I'm inclined to do despite the attraction of a newer model with more mod cons.