What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Honda - johncyprus

Had a shock on Saturday to open a letter from the DVLA enclosing a cheque for a refund of car tax on my wife’s Honda that she has owned for the last six years. We hadn’t asked for a refund or Sorned the car.

i eventually spoke to the DVLA that morning to be told that somebody has applied for a log book for the car and that my wife was no longer the registered keeper. They were unable to give me any further information about the “new” keeper. I was advised to apply for a new V5 in my wife’s name with a covering letter and to cash the cheque and that in order to comply with the law I’d have to re tax the vehicle if we wanted to drive it.

Unbelievable. I couldn’t believe how scant the Application for a new log book is ( V52 if anybody’s interested ) it seems you just need to give personal details, make and model of the car and the chassis number which on modern cars is visible to everybody inside the windscreen and lo and behold you can get yourself a log book of presumably any car you fancy.

I’ve informed the Police to cover myself but presumably there’s another Honda Jazz on the road with our index number on so can expect multiple speeding tickets etc.

Has anybody heard to similar incidents? Why apply for a log book too, why not just buy a false set of plates? And why would you choose a twelve year old car worth £2k tops to do this to?

I’m just glad the vehicle tax had at least a month to run thus resulting in a tax refund. Had the tax been about to expire there would have been no refund and I’d be oblivious to the fact the vehicle’s ownership title had been stolen.

I asked the guy at DVLA if this happened a lot and he said “No “ which surprised me.

Honda Jazz - Honda - focussed

There is a big deep black hole regarding change of vehicle registration in the UK as you have highlighted.

The DVLA hide behind the data protection laws so you can't find out who has registered your car as their own. Presumably the police will be less than interested as it's "a civil matter"

I had a similar situation years ago when speeding tickets started dropping through the letter box from places I had never been to. I found out the nearest open police station ( don't laugh) to where the last tickets originated and complained that my car reg plates had been cloned, and was issued a crime number. I then quoted this crime number to reply to the ticket and heard no more.

Did the police issue you with a crime number?

The process of selling a car and re-registering it to a new owner is much more complicated here in france and involves forms with multiple copies and the the registration document is given to the new owner, but struck through with a black marker pen and the words "vendu le" and the date and time and signed by the seller, this cancels the reg certificate.

Also the seller has to provide an official document proving that the vehicle is not subject to any lien, finance, unpaid speeding or traffic fines.

Unless all that is complied with it will not be possible to re-register the car.

The DVLA procedure is a criminal's charter if anybody can apply to register any car in their name and that takes precedence over the legal owner's registration.

Honda Jazz - Honda - Ian D
Assuming you can get the V5 sorted and back in your name you may want to buy any cheap personalised number plate for £200 or so so you don’t get tickets from the cloned car
Honda Jazz - Honda - daveyjp

Now this can be done online it just needs one fat finger on the keyboard and an error can occur with the reg. Similar with MOTs and incorrect mileage data.

Did the Police give you a crime number?

No. This doesn’t merit an allegation of crime apparently. One way to keep the crime figures low.

Honda Jazz - Honda - _

Did the Police give you a crime number?

No. This doesn’t merit an allegation of crime apparently. One way to keep the crime figures low.

Go back and insist that your complaint is recorded in case of fines and email/write to DVLA special delivery so that you have proof.

Edited by _ORB_ on 15/07/2020 at 19:14

_ORB The Police have made a record of the matter I have a police reference number, it’s just that this incident will not be shown in the crime figures.

I’m very disturbed ( to say the least ) that apparently on receipt of a new keeper application from any applicant ownership of a vehicle in the UK can be transferred WITHOUT at least a letter to the present registered keeper to confirm that all is well. We should all be worried.

I’ll keep the forum updated with this farce.

Honda Jazz - Honda - _

BUT. It IS a crime. It is fraud!

Honda Jazz - Honda - Avant

I agree - it sounds like fraud.

Under the Fraud Act 2006, a fraud can be one or more of: false representation, failing to disclose information, or abuse of position - provided that the fraudster is trying to make a gain for themselves or cause a loss to someone else.

Whatever this pond-life is doing, it's very likely an attempt to make a gain.

Edited by Avant on 16/07/2020 at 00:01

Finally got to the bottom of this.... I think. All down to a dishonest dealer it seems.
To cut a long story short about a year ago I transferred an index number to the Honda from an old MG. This transfer can now be done online no need for DVLA to see the old V5. I “spoilt” the old V5 and kept it in the the MG’s history file ( bad mistake I should have destroyed the V5 )The MG was issued with another index number. I sold the MG to a dealer with all docs in October 2019.

i finally spoke to a lady at the DVLA who was interested however not terribly forthcoming and it seems the dealer has managed to register the MG with the old index via the “spoilt “ V5 though I don’t know why would have generated a road tax refund to us. Not all the dots line up but I think this is what happened, It’s been incredibly frustrating, we’re allowed to drive the Honda which I’ve retaxed but if the Police checked on the index number displayed on the Honda it would show an MG. Yep, I give up too.

The DVLA are going to contact the new owner to tell them that the registration number they’ve been issued is incorrect, should be interesting. I’d like to listen to the conversation when the owner of the MG contacts the dealer....

Hopefully should get a new log book within two weeks because the original log book which I sent to the DVLA was apparently not received by them.

Edited by johncyprus on 02/09/2020 at 07:04