What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tips on which used car? - Louis Connor

Hello,

I'm currently in-market for a used car (automatic) and wondered if you kind people could provide some advice? either direct recommendations to makes/models or advice specifically on what age would be a limit i.e. no older than 10 years? and what mileage would be the limit you would recommend going for i.e. no more than 80,000?

Ideally we are looking for a small car for weekend use. Occasional driving on a motorway (so perhaps not a car with a 1.0 engine), cheap to run, 5 doors, and ultimately reliable. In terms of budget we are happy to go up to £5,000 BUT will go for the cheapest type of car we can get which matches what we want.....

Thank you!

Tips on which used car? - dan86

Hello,

I'm currently in-market for a used car (automatic) and wondered if you kind people could provide some advice? either direct recommendations to makes/models or advice specifically on what age would be a limit i.e. no older than 10 years? and what mileage would be the limit you would recommend going for i.e. no more than 80,000?

Ideally we are looking for a small car for weekend use. Occasional driving on a motorway (so perhaps not a car with a 1.0 engine), cheap to run, 5 doors, and ultimately reliable. In terms of budget we are happy to go up to £5,000 BUT will go for the cheapest type of car we can get which matches what we want.....

Thank you!

Japanese or Korean is where I would start looking, what's your budget?

I've always viewed mileage aa just a number it's all about the condition of the vehicle and the maintenance history.

Ideally you'd want a slush box automatic as they're more reliable than other types but do sap power and use more fuel.

Depending on the car a small engine needn't be aproblem on the motorway but a slightly larger engine will be more relaxed.

Tips on which used car? - badbusdriver

Suzuki Swift, Mazda 2, Kia Rio, Hyundai i20.

If your budget can get you into a CVT (rather than automated manual), a Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris.

Thank you for your recommendations. I forgot to say in my original post that im looking for an automatic so thank you for mentioning CVT. Is CVT the best type of automatic?

Thank you for your reply. That's interesting you mention Japanese/Korean makes.......the cars ive been focussing on to date have been Vauxhalls or Peugeots (because they are the ones which are matching my search criteria mainly).

My budget is a maximum of £5,000 but I would love to get something cheaper. I only want to keep the car for a maximum of 3 years......

Tips on which used car? - SLO76
All down to what’s available nearby. Give me a search area and I’ll take a look.

That would be amazing thank you. 20 mile radius of CR2.......

Tips on which used car? - badbusdriver

Thank you for your recommendations. I forgot to say in my original post that im looking for an automatic so thank you for mentioning CVT. Is CVT the best type of automatic?

Not really about which is best per se, more about your reliability priority. Honda with the Jazz and Toyota with the Yaris both dabbled with the automated manual so beloved of VAG (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat) and, in the past, others. These can be reliable in the case of the single clutch versions, though driveabiltiy can be affected. Things like jerky changes, delayed throttle responses. The dual clutch versions, again,(in theory) can be reliable in (some cases). But, at your budget, probably best avoided altogether to focus on CVT or torque converter (T/C) auto. The beneifits of CVT are usually along the lines of better economy and smoothness, though the revs can flare disconcertingly if you are not accustomed to them (we have a current shape Jazz CVT). T/C, as a general rule, will be less efficient, not neccessarily by much, so if you don't cover many miles, it isn't really worth focussing too much on thet aspect. Both types are generally reliable, though with a CVT it is important to make sure fluid changes have been done.

Putting a random CR2 postcode into Autotrader, here are a few i'd be interested in looking at,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200227777...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200511926...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190821139...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200503915...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200519941...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200426906...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200229785...1

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/06/2020 at 10:19

This is great thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I will take a look at the cars suggested......Thank you again, much appreciated