What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Extra noise when brake or drove pass bumper - hunterex

Dear all,

I have a Honda Jazz 2010 model with a 1.4cc engine.

Whenever I brake my car, sometimes there is rattling noise coming from the a rear tyre (nearside).

Also, when I drive pass a bumper at 20mph, I hear some noise from the rear tyre (nearside). So I had to slow my car to less than 10mph if I want to avoid that noise from that rear tyre side.

1) What is the root cause of the problem? Is it due to the nearside rear tyre brake? Or Is it due to absorber at the rear side? Do I need to bring my car to garage for immediate attention?

2) If I need to bring my car to garage, how do I describe my problem to them? Is there a specific term to describe the problem?

Thank you.

Honda Jazz - Extra noise when brake or drove pass bumper - Andrew-T

What did the last MoT report? If nothing, then if the test was done thoroughly the rear suspension should be OK. Might be an exhaust problem, or failed hanger?

If another test is due soon, mention the problem to the tester. By the way, tyres can't 'rattle', it would have to be part of the wheel or drum.

Honda Jazz - Extra noise when brake or drove pass bumper - gordonbennet

Describe the noise exactly as you have here, the more symptoms you can give to the actual mechanic who is going to look at your car the more chance he/she will have of repeating the noise and finding the problem.

I wouldn't leave it, could be anything including a braking fault, if it is the exhaust loose floating about will shorten the life of it considerably.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/02/2020 at 09:49

What did the last MoT report? If nothing, then if the test was done thoroughly the rear suspension should be OK. Might be an exhaust problem, or failed hanger?

If another test is due soon, mention the problem to the tester. By the way, tyres can't 'rattle', it would have to be part of the wheel or drum.

Morning Andrew,

My last MOT was in July 2019. I got that problem above since Dec 2019. I had a major car service last month and there was no report about the rear brake.

Thank you

Honda Jazz - Extra noise when brake or drove pass bumper - Bolt

Worn dampers that knock are not always picked up on MOT unless they have visible leak, worn damper may be the cause of this.

Honda Jazz - Extra noise when brake or drove pass bumper - FP

What do you mean by "bumper"? Most people would think a bumper is part of the front or back of a car.

What do you mean by "bumper"? Most people would think a bumper is part of the front or back of a car.

Think the OP means road hump, typo.

Think the OP means road hump, typo.

Yes it is road hump. Sorry

Dear all,

I managed to record the "rattling" noise when I brake my car. That noise came from the nearside tyre region.

I will visit the garage with that audio, hoping that the garage will understand the problem better.

Please listen to the noise and share any opinion.
https://clyp.it/go211syd?token=a5e3fe30f812956aae83c468f1d68f0a

Thank you

Dear all,

I managed to record the "rattling" noise when I brake my car. That noise came from the nearside tyre region.

I will visit the garage with that audio, hoping that the garage will understand the problem better.

Please listen to the noise and share any opinion.
https://clyp.it/go211syd?token=a5e3fe30f812956aae83c468f1d68f0a

Thank you

Sounds like a hammer drill and the only thing I can think of that would make that noise is the ABS, I have never heard a sound like that before so would get the brakes checked out asap

I'd have said the tyre was rubbing against inner wheel liner or mud flap or something similar, maybe catching a distintegrating shock absorber dust cover.

Yes it does sound a bit like ABS working, might be worth checking the brakes have been serviced properly, most cars haven't.

One thing i wouldn't be doing is still driving around in it until someone competent had poke nosed about under it and made sure nothing was about to fall off or collapse.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/02/2020 at 09:30

I'd have said the tyre was rubbing against inner wheel liner or mud flap or something similar, maybe catching a distintegrating shock absorber dust cover.

Highly possible, I didn't think of that as I assumed that would have been noticed by the OP?

Honda Jazz - Extra noise when brake or drove pass bumper - piggy

To my mind the OP is in part the architect of his own misfortune if he thinks it's OK to drive over speed humps at 20 mph or more. They are there to slow traffic down! I shudder to think what stresses the exhaust and suspension is being subjected to.

To my mind the OP is in part the architect of his own misfortune if he thinks it's OK to drive over speed humps at 20 mph or more. They are there to slow traffic down! I shudder to think what stresses the exhaust and suspension is being subjected to.

It could well be those road humps the OP is traversing are those gently ramped rectangles which are no bother at 20 mph unless you are on concrete springs and elastic band tyres.

It amuses me no end at Asda round the corner from us, they have those triangular hard rubber bumps, i could if i was an idiot go over them at stupid speed without hurting my 4x4, instead i go over them gently at a sensible pace and marvel at the people who come zooming up behind me, and those coming the other way, who crash over the things at warp speed in quite standard cars...and no doubt wondering and then complaining, especially in freezing conditions, why their cars regularly break springs, shock absorbers spring leaks, rubber mounts break up and yes the exhaust falls off...cue face palm.

Just met up with a chap we see regularly walking the dogs, he's looking at another new 18" tyre and new wheel if they can't be repaired thanks to Northants pot holed trackways.