What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Ford Long Delivery Times - si
Back in early May I ordered a new Fiesta LX with the option of ABS (seemed like a good idea to me) and was told that it would be delivered in a week to ten days. Now four weeks later and much time spent ringing the dealership to find out progress I am still waiting.

I have now been told that the car is to be built in Spain of all places (I hope it is right hand drive and the chap building it was not on Siesta) and will take approximately ten weeks to build and deliver. I hope it is worth the wait.

Is this correct and should the salesman have told me an estimated delivery date before checking to see whether any stock in the UK matched my requirements.

Has anyone else suffered the same problems ?
New Ford Long Delivery Times - Baskerville
I reckon the salesman should have told you--it sounds like he gave you a time without checking. Your comments about Spain are pretty stupid though. Ford have been making cars in Spain for years, as have Peugeot/Citroen, and VAG's SEAT. And why not?
New Ford Long Delivery Times - Altea Ego
Si,
according to a leasing company, delivery of Fiestas is quote
"6-8 weeks - good availability"
New Ford Long Delivery Times - Vansboy
Would have thought the dealer would have been keen to sell stock on hand, rather than factory order.
Was ABS the only 'extra'?If so & colour not most critical, I'd have thought finding a quicker delivery, not too hard.

VB
New Ford Long Delivery Times - TrevP
"I have now been told that the car is to be built in Spain of all places

Silly me, I thought MOST Fiestas were built in Valencia.
New Ford Long Delivery Times - TrevP
"should the salesman have told me an estimated delivery date"

What lead time formed part of the contract?
New Ford Long Delivery Times - IanT
There are lots of new Fiesta LXs sitting around in the UK waiting for immediate delivery (in practice, a week to 10 days) - but hardly any, or none, of these have ABS. So by specifying ABS, you have in effect specified a factory-build with the corresponding leadtime.

Your dealer should have told you this at the outset, though I doubt there's much you can do about it after four weeks unless you've got something very specific in writing.

You can check whether there any Fiestas to your spec for immediate delivery on www.fordjourney.com - I have been told that all Ford dealers use the same availability list, though the dealer's interrogation software should be more sophisticated than this web site.

Incidentally, I am amazed at Ford's reluctance to fit ABS to their small cars as standard. I am also amazed that they so rarely fit ABS as an extra-cost option to cars not built to order. I suspect (but do not know) that the few which do appear may be cancelled orders.

Ian
New Ford Long Delivery Times - IanT
Contrary to what I've just said, there is at least one available for immediate delivery - copied from www.fordjourney.com

Fiesta 5 door
Series LX A/C
Colour Blue Print
Engine 1.25 Duratec 16V (75PS) petrol
Transmission 5 speed manual
Trim Flint Trim
Price £9,224.00
Chassis No GAJH3L31562
ABS with electronic brake-force distribution

Ian
New Ford Long Delivery Times - Blue {P}
When I bought the Zetec and asked about putting options on it I was told it couldn't be done, even though my car hadn't been built yet!

Si - Believe me that it is worth the wait! Which reminds me, time to update my thread...

Blue
New Ford Long Delivery Times - deeteeakl

Hi,

I actually live in Spain and ordered a new Ford back in mid June. I was told then that I "might" get it by the end of July, if not then end of August. Now they "think" it will be next week. I am amazed that they cant be any more precise. The issue is that (and this is what I was told by the dealer) the factory closes for August so if you are unlucky enough to just miss getting your car by then you have to wait even longer.

And the real kicker! The VAT just went up by 3% September 1 and I am the one that has to pay it. Frankly I think Ford's service from dealer to manufacture is so incredibly poor. No communication whatsoever, no warning of the delay (only after me calling over and over again do they offer an update) and then they wait till when the car is almost ready to tell me I have to pay 3% more and all because its holiday time! Really Ford?

Signed,

One very unhappy Ford customer.

New Ford Long Delivery Times - Collos25

Cars are made mainly to order to keep the price up long are the days of fields full of cars built on spec hence the wait.

New Ford Long Delivery Times - a900ss
The wait might be a long time but at least it isn't NINE YEARS unlike the thread you revived or have I missed the point?
New Ford Long Delivery Times - primeradriver

Hah! Another one who thinks Ford are 'British', evidently.

At least Fords are still European for now. Some Vauxhalls are now Korean...

New Ford Long Delivery Times - NARU

I thought the fiesta was assembled in Spain? In which case deeteeakl could go along and chivvy them up!

New Ford Long Delivery Times - Dwight Van Driver

Be thankful you ordered a Ford.

Mid July I ordered the new Nissan Micra Tekna - latest delvery date end of October.

Reported in yesterday's finacial press Nissan not doing so good. No bladdy wonder.

dvd

New Ford Long Delivery Times - Ethan Edwards

Two weeks ago I ordered a 62 plate Toyota on a Saturday and it was possible to have it the following Wednesday. Though I opted to pick it up the next Saturday.

With options..though to be fair ABS is standard.

You'll enjoy the Nissan Connect system DVD....I did on my Note Ntec. Though the new Toyota Touch & Go one is IMO the next generation...it's just awesome.

....that is if I ever get it Ethan.

Phone call from Nissan UK this am. Vehicle off the production line but missed the boat. New date 10th November 2012.,

NO wonder we are the in doldrums...

dvd

I thought they were nailed together by skilled chaps in Sunderland...from kits sent from wherever. Most efficient car plant in the UK I believe.

Never mind It'll be worth the wait you'll see.

New Ford Long Delivery Times - Avant

So did I - or was that the previous model MIcra?

It'll be interesting to know what you think of your new Micra when eventually you get it, DVD. It's not often mentioned when people are choosing superminis - I'm not sure why.

Tut tut Avant.

Have you not Googled the Video review by our Lord and Master of the Pork pie hat and shades???????

I guess he must be a very small bloke as he makes it look huge like me but having sat in one I was pleasantly surprised that it could accommodate my bulk with ease..

dvd

Nevahh HJ

You make the vehicle look large whereas it aint.

dvd

New Ford Long Delivery Times - jaffa

I am employed with a car manufacturer, needless to say we have been going through a long lean period. probable reasons for your wait, are lack of new orders, slow build rates to keep people employed lots of planned down time due to those lack of orders. I suspect your dealer will be out of the loop when it comes to production issues, As are most of the employees. Any planned down days are kept confidential until the last minute. At mine own work place I know of quite a few non prodution days up to the new year that are not public.

New Ford Long Delivery Times - charon

Jaffa, many thanks for your post.

I ordered a new [old shape] Clio at the end of June and I am still waiting. Thanks to your info I now have some understanding of the situation.

Cheers