What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
- GingerTom
SK paid a huge amount of money for an Audi A4 quattro S line 2.0TDI and is moaning because the road tax is £90 a year more than they thought. Seriously? Probably the same sort that skimp on their insurance and servicing.
- GingerTom
Outsmarted: Because 3 men and a wheelbarrow can casually go up and down 20 miles of motorway and do little bits at their leisure instead of the inconvenience of moving cones around. Abroad, where they have common sense and low labour rates, they put an army of men on one section and move up a bit at a time and get the job done with minimum hassle to the motorist.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 09-11-2019 Part 2 - MrPogle

It's not a function of labour rates. I drove through 200 yds of roadworks in Japan and the workers were practically touching shoulders. This was on a Sunday. You can imagine how long it takes them to repair roads vs the UK.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 09-11-2019 Part 2 - Marcus T.

Yes. I have seen roadworks being undertaken 24hours a day in Tokyo.

- Engineer Andy
Two comments:

Re: Roo the day

As I'd raised as a comment to HJ's collumn two weeks ago as to whether the second 'software fix' had worked, I am surprised that VAG aren't contacting owners who've already been in for the July fix without success to get them back for v2. Not good customer service, in my view, especially when another dealer (IMHO) blatantly lies about not knowing about the DG200/DSG problems.

Re: Out Smarted

I can certainly attest to both the downsides (longer journey times) and upsides (better mpg) of having to endure long roadworks (and with little to no work going on) on motorways that are being converted to 'smart' ones.

When going and coming home from my West Country holiday along the M4, about 1/3 of the entire journey as well as a large section of the M5 was being converted with 50mph speed limits.

On the way, the road was very busy, and it didn't make a great deal of difference over the mpg I was getting in previous years, mainly because there were still too many stoppages, but when sections were clearer, the lower speed limit meant the journey as a whole was 30 min longer.

On the way home, as I was passing these sections at a less busy time of the day (I had to drive at the time I did on the way), there was far less traffic, and whilst it meant that the journey time overall was still a lot longer than usual (45 mins extra, as I could only do 50 instead of 70mph), the mpg went up by 5% over normal for that journey.

As HJ says, it really depends on when you travel and how much time you can allow for a journey.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 09-11-2019 Part 2 - Max Gomila

What a load of idiotic rubbish.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 09-11-2019 Part 2 - Engineer Andy

What a load of idiotic rubbish.

Are you referring to mine? If so, please elaborate as to why.

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 09-11-2019 Part 2 - Gary Pearson

Well said

- Alex Dalgleish
Animals and Children: If you can find £19k for another car you can afford the fuel bill on a Mondeo 2.3T. And whatever replace it with won't be as enjoyable. Waste of time.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 09-11-2019 Part 2 - Alex Dalgleish

And if you're that upset about running a car over £90, you shouldn't own one.

- Alex Dalgleish
In Denial. Can buy a Kia up to 18 months old at huge discount and they'll top the warranty back up to 7 years. Can sell privately in just under 4 years with warranty left that's longer than some manufacturers provide new.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 09-11-2019 Part 2 - De Sisti

Can you let us know where, as I'm interested in buying a used KIA.