108 / C1 / Aygo 2015 > - Workshop manuals, does this make sense - Lrac

I have moaned before about the lack of a manual for this car despite there being loads of these vehicles on the road and they are basically an evolution of the former models. Imagine my surprise to discover that one of the latest Haynes Manuals now on sale is for a 1965 > Lola!!

I know Toyota put their cars details / specs online (assuming them to be the same) and I applaud them for this but I find it a bit frustrating if in the middle of something I suddenly want a particular torque setting and have to leave the job wash hands etc and log on as opposed to simply opening a book.

Rant over

108 / C1 / Aygo 2015 > - Workshop manuals, does this make sense - oldroverboy.

So why not print the relevan pages before you start aj job?

Then keep them in clear plastic wallets in a binder?

I usually do just scribble down a few figures on odd scraps as they don't usually warrant a whole page. I also see if there are any youtube's that I view first. The issue is that I would have thought it would generate far more revenue for Haynes if they published an up to date manual for my car than a 1965 Lola.

108 / C1 / Aygo 2015 > - Workshop manuals, does this make sense - badbusdriver

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Aygo-1-0-Petrol-Hatchbac...W

108 / C1 / Aygo 2015 > - Workshop manuals, does this make sense - elekie&a/c doctor
This is fine , but it’s for the earlier model .
108 / C1 / Aygo 2015 > - Workshop manuals, does this make sense - gordonbennet

I suppose the car is too new for most users to be fixing their own yet, ever diminishing number of us working on our own cars anyway.

Youtube can be a really useful source, on the back of my Landcruiser i have air suspension, looking around for videos on how to change airbags when one goes, as it must in due course i struggled to find the nitty gritty on where to disconnect the air pipes because none too clear and looked to be a pita from the videos on LC's, found an American chap who had done this job on his Sequoia, different vehicle but with the same rear suspension/axle layout and very similar chassis, his was a slow methodical video and showed where to disconnect them for a much easier life.

I linked this video on the LC forum i use and several posters with the same LC as mine have noted where before they would have replaced the airbags with normal springs, now they can see how simple it can be they'll keep the air suspension going.

This is what vehicle forums should be about, not scoring points but trying to help each other out to save some dosh and keep our vehicles going economically as long as possible.

Lrac, as you're into the new model Aygo, do you have any views or experience of the 1.2 Peugeot version of the model, which might be of interest to the family Aygo user when her 2010 version eventually gets replaced?

108 / C1 / Aygo 2015 > - Workshop manuals, does this make sense - badbusdriver

This is fine , but it’s for the earlier model .

Fair enough, but mechanically there is very little difference between the newer and older models. There might be one or two things you'd find different, but i'd wager most of the stuff in that manual would also apply to the OP's car.

The routine service stuff that I have done so far is different.

Air filter completely different but anyone could change that blind folded.

Wheel torque is different and includes a procedure after the initial tightening its then advised that you slacken each bolt one at a time then re-torque.

Spark plugs are different now "miniature long life jobbies". I still like to have a look at them each time I service the car

108 / C1 / Aygo 2015 > - Workshop manuals, does this make sense - Bromptonaut

The issue is that I would have thought it would generate far more revenue for Haynes if they published an up to date manual for my car than a 1965 Lola.

Intuitively that might be case but i suspect if it was there'd be far more manuals for recent cars. Unless it's very recent Haynes do not do one for my Roomster although there is a version for the very similar Fabia. I'd also guess most 15 model Aygos will still be in warranty and the PSA badged version still treated as nearly new.

I think the sort of owners workshop manuals we all used twenty or more years ago are likely to disappear or never be printed. Lot of stuff we used to do is not possible on a modern car. Ignition is all electronic and carburetors are no more. I used to be happy to fiddle with fueling system on PSA's XUD diesels but modern high pressure injection it's no longer possible, even if it were safe given the pressures involved. Fewer drivers seem able/willing to do even simple stuff like change bulbs.

For those of us willing to give it ago there are videos on you tube. They even show you how to put everything back together - no more of that reassembly is reverse of dismantling stuff....

Water pump went on my son's 107. No way he was going near the job - my father's utter lack of aptitude with anything has skipped a generation but having seen a You Tube vid I'd have given it a go myself. Servicing that car is a cinch.

There seems to be a thriving market for 'manuals' for everything from Lola via the Lancaster bomber to Apollo/Saturn 5. Don't know how many, if any Lolas are still around but I'm not sure the manual would actually be much help in restoring it for the track.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/09/2019 at 18:07

The issue is that I would have thought it would generate far more revenue for Haynes if they published an up to date manual for my car than a 1965 Lola.

Intuitively that might be case but i suspect if it was there'd be far more manuals for recent cars. Unless it's very recent Haynes do not do one for my Roomster although there is a version for the very similar Fabia. I'd also guess most 15 model Aygos will still be in warranty and the PSA badged version still treated as nearly new.

I think the sort of owners workshop manuals we all used twenty or more years ago are likely to disappear or never be printed. Lot of stuff we used to do is not possible on a modern car. Ignition is all electronic and carburetors are no more. I used to be happy to fiddle with fueling system on PSA's XUD diesels but modern high pressure injection it's no longer possible, even if it were safe given the pressures involved. Fewer drivers seem able/willing to do even simple stuff like change bulbs.

For those of us willing to give it ago there are videos on you tube. They even show you how to put everything back together - no more of that reassembly is reverse of dismantling stuff....

Water pump went on my son's 107. No way he was going near the job - my father's utter lack of aptitude with anything has skipped a generation but having seen a You Tube vid I'd have given it a go myself. Servicing that car is a cinch.

There seems to be a thriving market for 'manuals' for everything from Lola via the Lancaster bomber to Apollo/Saturn 5. Don't know how many, if any Lolas are still around but I'm not sure the manual would actually be much help in restoring it for the track.

You put it perfectly. You are so on my wave length do you also have a bad back?

108 / C1 / Aygo 2015 > - Workshop manuals, does this make sense - Andrew-T

I think one reason why Haynes has diversified into 'manuals' for almost anything (including Woman) may be the steadily diminishing maintainability (at least by the ordinary DiY owner) of 21st-century cars. I have just handed on my trusty 205 manual with the car when I sold it recently, but still have one for the 306, which I have reopened for certain tasks. Even between those two models - basically late 80s and late 90s - it is noticeable how things have started to become a bit less do-able.