What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How long is it since you saw? - Andrew-T

A few weeks ago I found myself behind a Honda Concerto. Haven't seen any of those for a while.

How long is it since you saw? - oldroverboy.

Yesterday I was following a trabant, sadly couldn't escape as it was in Bury St Edmunds.

How long is it since you saw? - Avant

French cars of that era - although more reliable than their successors through having fewer electronics to go wrong - had a bad name for rust. So there won't be many still around.

I think the later Peugeot 205 and 306 were a bit better in this respect.

Edited by Avant on 08/09/2019 at 18:06

How long is it since you saw? - 72 dudes

How long is it since you saw? A Renault 14/15/17/18 etc. Or a Peugeot 305 saloon? There's one of the latter up SLO's way.

I can't remember the last time I saw any of these actually, but I remember how cool the Renault 17 looked when it first came out. The 15 was much blander.

I haven't even seen a Fuego which replaced them in ages.

I did see a smart unmolested Renault 25 parked in St Aubin, Jersey back in July whilst on holiday though. It was a facelift model so probably late '80's and it still looked surprisingly impressive.

How long is it since you saw? - badbusdriver

A couple of weeks ago i passed a Nissan Sunny coupe parked at the side of the road, the one styled (apparently) using a ruler and little else!. Didn't think that much of them when new, but i thought it was kinda cool!.

As for Renault's, in one of the villages i work there is a Renault fan. Because of a customer moving out of the area, i don't pass the house anymore, but the last time i did there was a fair old collection. Including two 25's, a Safrane, a Fuego, and a 21, not to mention one or two other (slightly) younger cars. Thinking about older Renault's in general got me looking up the 18 Turbo, and i happened upon this 1981 Autocar road test (via flickr). Hope there is no issue with posting a link to this (Avant?), but very interesting!. Click on each page to make it big enought to read.

www.flickr.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/albums/7215.../

How long is it since you saw? - SLO76
Yeah, spotted that one. Was designed before my favourite era for Peugeot’s the 80’s and 90’s but a good car in its day. I’ve loads of old What Car mags and these appear in tests against Montegos, Cavaliers, Fiat Regattas and Renault 18’s etc etc and were almost always near the top in their verdicts.

The link wasn’t working so here it is again...

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190906195...8

Edited by SLO76 on 08/09/2019 at 21:37

How long is it since you saw? - craig-pd130

I followed a Renault 11 Gordini today, on its way to a classic event. Sounded and smelt absolutely glorious.

How long is it since you saw? - badbusdriver

I followed a Renault 11 Gordini today, on its way to a classic event. Sounded and smelt absolutely glorious.

What is a Renault 11 Gordini?. I'm familier with Gordini versions of the 5, 8, 12 and 17, plus the Dauphine, but not the 11. I used to have a Renault 11 and as far as i know, certainly in this country, the performance version was just the 11 turbo.

How long is it since you saw? - Brit_in_Germany

Haven't seen a Vel Satis for a long time. Are the (few) owners too embarrassed to take them out for a drive?

How long is it since you saw? - Bilboman

I've recently developed a loathing for that pig of a car. I rent an underground parking space, which is already a tight fit, but now with a black Vel Satis parked next door, which juts out over half a metre over the alloted space, my entries and exits take forever, even with a reversing camera. There's nothing I can do as a renter and the driver does not seem the type to negotiate. Pah. I will have to wait until a major component fails.

How long is it since you saw? - craig-pd130

What is a Renault 11 Gordini?. I'm familier with Gordini versions of the 5, 8, 12 and 17, plus the Dauphine, but not the 11. I used to have a Renault 11 and as far as i know, certainly in this country, the performance version was just the 11 turbo.

My fat-finger mistake, I intended to type '12'. One of these, in the same classic Gordini blue:

https://www.classicdriver.com/sites/default/files/styles/two_third_slider/public/cars_images/renault_12_gordini_1.jpg?itok=6XBvhSnN

And judging by the smell, the twin-choke Webers were present & correct :)

How long is it since you saw? - 3mpv

This afternoon,Lancia Stratos;brief glance,dont know if original or kit car,always thought they looked cool;not sure if i've only ever seen them in photos.

How long is it since you saw? - 3mpv

Saw a Vel Satis a week ago;looks like theres plenty of room inside them.

How long is it since you saw? - Andrew-T

Saw a Vel Satis a week ago; looks like there's plenty of room inside them.

... which of course means there is less room outside them, as Bilbo has said.