Ford - Higher mileage with FSH or lower without? - Petercw

So which would you choose:

1) Car 1 is November 2015 and has 40k miles and FSH

2) Car 2 is January 2016 and has 20k miles but has missed 1 service so has a gap of 27 months or 18000 miles with no service.

Cars are identical in all other regards. Both main dealer, both roughly the same price. Both 1.5tdci diesel powershift automatics.

Advice please!

Ford - Higher mileage with FSH or lower without? - elekie&a/c doctor
Neither, I wouldn’t touch anything with the power shift gearbox.
Ford - Higher mileage with FSH or lower without? - Happy Blue!

Wish there was a thumbs up button!

Would not touch either of these. Have rented two cars with this gearbox and felt both were unequal to the task.

Ford - Higher mileage with FSH or lower without? - nellyjak

As above...leave anything with that gearbox well alone.

From what I gather there are powershifts and powershifts. This is a wet clutch version which HJ seems to think is OK if serviced regularly. And I've driven one and liked it.

I think it was the dry clutch ones that were problematic.

But thanks!

Edited by Petercw on 11/04/2019 at 21:09

Ford - Higher mileage with FSH or lower without? - elekie&a/c doctor
Sorry to say . Wet or dry clutch, Fords have ditched these and now use conventional autos.

Yes and if I had the money I'd buy a new one!

Ford - Higher mileage with FSH or lower without? - badbusdriver

Yes and if I had the money I'd buy a new one!

But you don't, and aren't. The advice so far is to not buy, which i would completely agree with. The only way i'd consider buying something, anything, from any manufacturer, with a dual clutch gearbox, would be new, and under the knowledge that i'd be getting rid of it before the warranty was up.

What kind of car are you looking at?, if you let us know, and the budget, some more reliable alternatives could be suggested.

Ford - Higher mileage with FSH or lower without? - Bromptonaut

I've no knowledge of Fords or Powershift but would respect advice of others.

On underlying question I'd prefer mileage with history.

Modern cars with proper servicing will go to 150k miles without an issue. I've run three to that number, two of them from new. Our current cars are 85 and 95 k and I expect them to go on for many more. But regular servicing is key.

We're still hooked on mileage based on cars from sixties/seventies that needed rebores and top end overhauls at 30-50k. Those days are long gone.