What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - iFocus

Hi All,

So I am considering replacing my Focus with a new car. I had intended to keep it after having it repaired but its still not right.

I've found a nice 65,000 mile 2012 Civic 1.8 (new shape) in my price range, it's been serviced by a Honda dealer most of its life but its last service was done in 2017 and it has done 22,000 miles since.

The condition of the car is very good and it has decent quality tyres (Conti's) on it too.

Question is, would you still buy it? Or should I keep looking?

Thanks

Craig

Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - badbusdriver

I'm assuming you are buying it privately?, if it was from a garage or dealer, they would surely service it.

Quite a long time to go between services, but on the other hand, they are very reliable cars and it is 7 years old. I think i'd still go for it, but take into account the cost of getting it serviced shortly.

Yes it’s from a dealer. They’ve offered to service it but it’s still ‘missed’ one in 2018.
Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - Andrew-T

... its last service was done in 2017 and it has done 22,000 miles since.

Do you know this for a fact, or is there just a stamp or two missing from the service record? Once a car is out of warranty, it may have been taken to an independent for servicing, and the booklet may only be stamped if the owner asks for it. If you otherwise like the car (presumably you have had a test drive?), try asking the previous owner (on the V5) about the history. You may not need to walk away just for a lack of evidence. What does the dipstick look like? Does the car look otherwise cared-for?

Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - catsdad
If you can't evidence the "missing" service I would look elsewhere. Although very well regarded cars there have been some issues with 2012 Civic 1.8 excessive oil consumption. Although not all cars suffer this problem a missed oil service would concern me.

Given the likely ownership profile of Civic owners an example with fsh shouldn't be hard to find.
Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - SLO76
Might just not have been stamped. Has it been owned by the same person for years or has the last short term owner neglected to do it? If the former it’s likely to have just been that the garage didn’t stamp it. I’d still be happy to buy if it’s otherwise in good order and the timing chain goes silent immediately from cold starting.,
Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - gordonbennet

If you know for sure the service has been missed, then i would look elsewhere unless there's very large price reduction compared to other similar cars which haven't been neglected.

Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - sammy1

If the car is too your liking in most ways then I would go for it. IT is 7years old and only you can decide on its overall condition. Haggle hard on the broken service history, new MOT and full service. Honda engines have a good reputation and I cannot think that extended running without an oil change matters much. Buying from a reputable dealer gives you cover under the sale of goods act and you might persuade the dealer to through in a warranty with a third party. If you want a Honda it may take you ages to find another in as good nick

Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - gordonbennet

Lack of proper servicing can lead to prematurely worn cam lobes, i have seen this with mine own eyes on an older 2.0 litre VTEC engine with one lobe on the second cam almost completely gone.

Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - beufighter

Check, check, check CAM BELT!!! Due at 75K OR 7 Years. Is that missing?? form service book.

Civics have timing chains?
Honda Civic - Missed service - would you still buy it? - SLO76

Check, check, check CAM BELT!!! Due at 75K OR 7 Years. Is that missing?? form service book.

It’s a chain.