What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Average car annual mileage falls again - smallcar
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/money/2...s

Is one driver of it people who’ve signed up for the cheapest PCP deal and are watching their ole age carefully to not go over?
Average car annual mileage falls again - RT

That statistic may be skewed by an increase in the average number of vehicles per household - each car being driven less.

Average car annual mileage falls again - alan1302

That statistic may be skewed by an increase in the average number of vehicles per household - each car being driven less.

Exactly what I though

Average car annual mileage falls again - dan86

Could also be that more people work from home now as well?

Average car annual mileage falls again - FoxyJukebox

On line shopping, leading to most sensible people calculating that it saves time ordering from home rather than "nipping" to the shops?

Average car annual mileage falls again - Andrew-T

On line shopping, leading to most sensible people calculating that it saves time ordering from home rather than "nipping" to the shops?

For the customer, that should help to reduce road congestion? But it doesn't help the high-street trader unfortunately.

Average car annual mileage falls again - John F

There is also an increasing number of 'baby boomer' pensioners who have never had it so good who own more cars than they need, e.g. the Fs. (Our mileage to the nearest hundred miles, from the last MoT certificates....Focus 8200 Audi 1800, TR7 600). For forays to cities they take the train. Holidays are often abroad so they fly - usually from an airport within 60 miles of home.

Edited by John F on 15/01/2019 at 11:56

Average car annual mileage falls again - Senexdriver
We are a baby-boomer retired couple and certainly have more cars than we need, but SWMBO will not hear of managing on one car. We go out a lot together and on the occasions she is out without me, I would simply stay at home. If I needed to nip to the shops, they are within walking distance, or I could cycle if I wanted to be quicker. She has covered 7,000 miles since she took delivery of her car in July 2017 and I’ve covered 17,000 in mine since September 2016. Hardly high mileages.
Average car annual mileage falls again - Avant

Yes, but it's your freedom of movement that's important, however close you might be as a couple.

If, like us, you've worked hard all your life and can afford two cars in retirement, then why shouldn't you? It's obviously an area to look at if you need to make economies, or go on expensive holidays instead - but otherwise just enjoy what you have. There must be plenty of couples whose mileage is much lower than yours, but still value the independence that two cars give them.

Average car annual mileage falls again - expat

If, like us, you've worked hard all your life and can afford two cars in retirement, then why shouldn't you? It's obviously an area to look at if you need to make economies, or go on expensive holidays instead - but otherwise just enjoy what you have. There must be plenty of couples whose mileage is much lower than yours, but still value the independence that two cars give them.

It isn't just independence. Different cars suit different uses. The wife's little hatchback is good for popping down the shops and parking down the main street but my big estate is much more comfortable for long country roads with the dog and lots of luggage which is something we do twice a week.

Average car annual mileage falls again - smallcar
I’ve also wondered if the “sales rep” type car owner/user is a dying breed too? The odd time I’ve been on motorways on weekdays there doesn’t seem to be the same sense of sales reps pounding the fast lane. Do companies employ them still to make face to face calls? Do the companies even exist who used to employ them. Is it all ordered and reordered online? Or via framework agreements just offer no opportunity for favoured customer tweaking/deals.

Average car annual mileage falls again - gordonbennet

For a given driving time you cover less miles each year due to increasing congestion.

For my typical journeys for work over the past 40 years the journey times have almost doubled in some cases, or require starting ever earlier year on year in order to beat the crush.

As for shopping, the High Street long ago abandoned any cursory nod to customer service, whilst Amazon (love them or hate them) do know a thing or two about CS. No longer welcome in shops? staff too busy chatting about footy/whatever? toilets for staff only? no problem matey, cheerio.

Average car annual mileage falls again - Avant

"The odd time I’ve been on motorways on weekdays there doesn’t seem to be the same sense of sales reps pounding the fast lane."

Ah - happy memories of being overtaken by the sales rep in his Cortina 1.6L or the area sales manager in his 2.0GL. I suppose it depends on the product: some will need to be demonsytraed face-to-face but I'm sure a lot is now done online.

That said, personal contact is still the best way to build relationships between suppliers and customers.