What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - 2004 Fiesta won’t change gear - Jacob Frost
I’ve got an automatic 2004 Ford Fiesta... been working perfectly until taking it out one day and I got down the road and it was stuck in gear 1, I couldn’t use semi-automatic to get it up a gear, and it wasn’t changing on it’s own. A little cog appears on the dash. If I want to reverse, i have to turn the car off and then on again. The car changes gears in semi automatic when stationary after first turning it on, but as soon as I pull away the cog appears and then it’s stuck in gear 1. What could this be? I’m stuck and about to scrap an otherwise faultless car with only 50k miles! Any help appreciated
Ford Fiesta - 2004 Fiesta won’t change gear - elekie&a/c doctor
I think you will find that this not actually an auto gearbox. It is one of those robotised manual gearbox system with electronic control of the clutch and gearshift . These suffer various issues with the electronic actuators failing along with the electronic control unit and wiring. It could even be a worn clutch . As to whether it is worth repairing is debatable.
Ford Fiesta - 2004 Fiesta won’t change gear - badbusdriver

Sadly, it sounds like you bought the 'wrong' Fiesta auto. At that age you had the 'durashift' as described above, available on the 1.4, whereas the 1.6 had a torque converter auto and is much more durable, if thirstier. Very doubtful that it would be worth fixing if you are planning to use a garage. But if you are handy with the spanners, or have a friend who is, then you might want to check out this link which i found searching durashift problems,

www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/18532-fix-dura.../

The car in question here is a Fusion, but mechanically identical to the Fiesta.