What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - Steveieb
After spending a day test driving small SUVs my partner has ruled out the Hrv on grounds of poor ride and looks.
But we have a clear winner with the CHR which we tested in hybrid form with auto.
Great looks which are so important to my partner and wonderful ride and seating , at least for the front occupants.

Back to reality she wants to spend under 20k which pushes her towards the 1.2 T non hybrid manual.

But does Toyotas reputation for unreliable autos continue with this model?

Also I learned that production will shortly be shifted from Turkey to Japan. And have the screen cracking and handbrake problems no been resolved.

Most grateful for your views
Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - Falkirk Bairn

It was the automated manual autos on Yaris etc that were troublesome.

The CHR is CVT.

Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - SLO76

It was the automated manual autos on Yaris etc that were troublesome.

The CHR is CVT.

Beaten to it but yup it was Toyota’s attempt at making an automated manual work that proved troublesome. Their CVT boxes are bulletproof so buy with confidence, it’s unlikely you’ll have a moments bother if you maintain it at a Toyota dealer. Plus you’ll keep the rest of that 5yr warranty too.
Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - colinh

11+ million Toyota hybrids with this box to date - had the same box in a couple of Auris hybrids - found them a bit noisy in hilly country - OK on the flat.- now changed to a Kia Niro hybrid with DCT

Edited by colinh on 13/06/2018 at 22:31

Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - badbusdriver

Just been reading a roadtest of 3 small crossover's, one of which was the Toyota in 1.2t manual. Although they were keen on the ride comfort, quality and equipment, they reckoned the engine was pretty week, certainly compared to the 1.0 VW t roc, and there wasn't much interior space. No surprise it didn't win, given this was a motoring magazine and there was a VW involved (despite the apparently poor interior quality of the t roc), but they felt the Toyota would be better with the hybrid powertrain.

Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - MGspannerman
What reputation for unreliable autos? The automated manuals were unpleasant and never delivered the promise, but otherwise their autos are very satisfactory in use and exceptionally reliable. A VW group DSG is orders of magnitude more trouble prone. I did consider a CHR at one time but the claustrophobic rear seats with llimited exterior view, relentless black interior and poor boot space won over the well regarded driving dynamics and front seat experience.
Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - mcb100
To be pedantic, it’s not a CVT with belts or chains. Toyota call it e-CVT to differentiate it, and it’s a planetary gear set.
The cars within Toyota’s range with the lowest warranty claims are the hybrids, and of the components that make up the hybrid cars, the lowest level of warranty claims are against the hybrid components.
Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - Big John
To be pedantic, it’s not a CVT with belts or chains. Toyota call it e-CVT to differentiate it, and it’s a planetary gear set. The cars within Toyota’s range with the lowest warranty claims are the hybrids, and of the components that make up the hybrid cars, the lowest level of warranty claims are against the hybrid components.

Agreed - but it's not being pedantic - the Hybrid eCVT is not a traditional CVT gearbox as we know it. It's a transaxle that has an engine at one end with two motor generators/ planetary gears with a central gear to feed the differential/front wheels. Everything is about the electronic control be it starting to move on electric only, adding the engine into the mix, regenerative braking etc.... There are very few moving oily bits indeed. Many have been doing starship mileages with taxi companies.

Edited by Big John on 14/06/2018 at 00:47

To be pedantic, it’s not a CVT with belts or chains. Toyota call it e-CVT to differentiate it, and it’s a planetary gear set. The cars within Toyota’s range with the lowest warranty claims are the hybrids, and of the components that make up the hybrid cars, the lowest level of warranty claims are against the hybrid components.

OP isn’t talking about the hybrid. Though you’re right, there’s nothing to fear from the well tried and tested hybrid.
Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - drd63

I'd go with the CHR, inside and out I think they look great. Toyota (and Lexus) are making some cars with real design flair. I know sales are vital and most buyers are really conservative but it's good to see an alternative to the derivative dullness of mainstream design, VAG being the main culprit but Ford being equally guilty with the new Fiesta. It would still have sold bucket loads even with a bit of zest in the design!

Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - Steveieb
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post.
The hybrid version is obviously the one to have but this may strain the budget a little and the 1.2 seems a little gutless from your comments.

One last thought, I know it's a Renault but the Captur seems a cheaper alternative to the CHR.

Would be most grateful for your thoughts on a four cylinder petrol version of this car ?
Toyota CHR or Honda Hrv - SWMBO s Next car - Oli rag
Because Renault are so confident in the reliability of their cars, they have just REDUCED the length of warranty from 4 years to 3! I think I would stick with one of your first two choices.
“One last thought, I know it's a Renault but the Captur seems a cheaper alternative to the CHR.

Would be most grateful for your thoughts on a four cylinder petrol version of this car ?”

There’s loads of cases of engine problems with both the 0.9 TCe and 1.2 TCe particularly the latter in the Nissan Qashqai for some reason - possibly the extra weight. The 1.5 diesel is well proven though. It’s also a class down from the Toyota, based on the supermini Clio. I’d far sooner take the Toyota here though personally I’d save the money and go for a nearly new Auris 1.2t CVT instead. It’s essentially the same car underneath but with the more mundane styling it’s vastly cheaper. The estate in particular is a great family workhorse. As for performance it’s perfectly acceptable for day to day road use unless you plan on towing, regularly carry a full load or you’re a boy racer.