Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - dixgas

Regarding people having to place there remote key in a faraday bag to avoid toerags boosting the sensor, I have a Lexus, if having locked your car you hold down the lock button and press the unlock button twice, it disable the fob and the vehicle can't be opened, pressing any button reactivated the remote.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - Metropolis.
A curry hook (yes, LR really do call it that) on the front left of the centre console, front passenger side. Great for hanging your takeaway without the risk of seat spills.
That, or being one of the first vehicles to have hill descent control fitted (1998!).

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - bathtub tom

My '53 reg Almera had a curry hook - very useful.

I'd like a parking ticket holder as fitted to Skodas.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - badbusdriver

Yes, the curry hook may well be used by Land Rover as well as most others these days (there was one on my recently departed '06 transit connect), but it was nissan who introduced it back in 1996 for the almera.

Our Honda jazz has the magic seats, which are very useful and enable owners to make maximum use of the (considerable) interior space.

A personal bugbear of mine while driving in the dark is instruments which are too bright, even on the dimmest setting, something which the jazz is guilty of. So i'd volunteer the Saab 'night panel'. When used, this eliminated all the illumination on the dashboard apart from the speedometer, but was clever enough to switch back on anything necessary. So if you changed gear, the rev counter would come back on, if you were low on fuel, etc.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - nailit

Secret button under the the gear knob top, press to eject the passenger seat through the roof, when you have had enough of the wife (or passenger). Introduced on the DB5 Aston Martin.

James.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - oldroverboy.

I have an audible warning device on the front passenger seat for when I am doing something it doesn't like.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - daveyjp
Sun visors which extend to be the full width of the front side windows. Never used them, but never seen such a design before.
Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - Ian_SW

Foot rest to the right hand side of the accelerator on my Octavia Mk2. At first I found it really annoying, but now I find using cruise control awkward on other cars as I don't where to rest my foot.

I'm yet to come across it in any other car, despite very frequently having hire cars for work.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - colinh

The Golf has/had them on a sliding rail so you could position them to suit the glare from a side window.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - Bianconeri

My '53 reg Almera had a curry hook - very useful.

I'd like a parking ticket holder as fitted to Skodas.

A Proper Volvos like the 240 had the ticket holder from the late 1970s, it may have been introduced on the 140 in the 1960s. The SAAB 99 had one at the same sort of time as well I think.
Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - NARU

I love the storage space for the load cover on my sorento. It goes under the floor (where there is enough space also for the jack, detachable towball and a bunch of other things.

The dog appreciates the aircon in the boot area too (it was probably designed for the third row passengers, but the seats are permanently folded away and the dog uses the boot).

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - ExA35Owner

Speed limiter on my uncle's very elderly Land Rover. Driver's door used to open itself above 45 mph. Meant you never went fast enough to worry about the indecisive steering and the near-imaginary brakes.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - gordonbennet

Speed limiter on my uncle's very elderly Land Rover. Driver's door used to open itself above 45 mph. Meant you never went fast enough to worry about the indecisive steering and the near-imaginary brakes.

Message for your uncle, i had a dickens of a job getting a good brake pedal on a series LR, bled for hours to no avail.

Experimented, removed all drums, clamped the shoes together with G clamps but any method of preventing the slave cyl pistons from moving will do, ie jubilee clips, bleeding after that was immediate and produced the best most solid brake pedal i've ever found on a LR.

I have no answers for the steering however, which is best described as vague :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/02/2018 at 09:44

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - John F

Audi A8 - rear window blind, useful when tailgated by bullyboy SUVs with high set bright lights. Also, separate central armrests, for each front seat, individually adjustable.

Mk1 Ford Focus - heated windscreen. Not seen much on other makes, has been a boon this winter.

Triumph TR7 - pop-up headlamps. Just a bit of fun really - neat way of saying 'thank-you' when given way, etc.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - ExA35Owner
Triumph TR7 - pop-up headlamps. Just a bit of fun really - neat way of saying 'thank-you' when given way, etc.

I've seen a couple with eyelashes added....

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - Sam49

I had an Almera with the curry hook. Never used it...

Growing up we had two 7-seat Volvo 240 estates. You could open the tailgate from the inside with a handle. 740s/760s had it too, it wasn't just a feature for the 7-seat versions. Not seen it elsewhere - maybe the big Mercs had it, or some US station wagons?

Never owned one but the mid-90s Toyota Camry estate had two rear wipers

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - madf

Both our cars have indicators - a feature not fitted to most Audis or BMWs.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - focussed

Cornering lamps - you slow to less than 20 mph and indicate and a white light comes on from the side of the headlamp assembly, illuminating the entrance or side road you are about to turn into.

Very handy in pitch-black rural France in the winter

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - Bilboman

A fanatical local group of insect spotters reported being hugely impressed by the sound of the most feeble horn ever fitted to a motor vehicle (my 2016 Toyota Auris), which replicates the mating call of the caddis fly, and was once picked out clearly a full metre away from the front bumper.

Edited by Bilboman on 16/02/2018 at 01:57

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - johncyprus
Electric rear window blind on Mercedes CLK; very useful when being tailgated. Use the screen and the errant driver can’t see through the car and they back off.
Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - galileo
Electric rear window blind on Mercedes CLK; very useful when being tailgated. Use the screen and the errant driver can’t see through the car and they back off.

Had a pull-cord operated one on a 1950 MG saloon, could do with one now to cut out headlights of tailgating 4 x 4 s

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - madf

Had a pull-cord operated one on a 1950 MG saloon, could do with one now to cut out headlights of tailgating 4 x 4 s

My 1929 Riley Monaco fabric bodied saloon had one...

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - corax

Hill holder system. Yes, many cars now have this but mine is mechanical and came way before the electronic gizmo's. Operates on a hill when the footbrake is on with the clutch down. Come off the footbrake and the car doesn't move. Absolutely brilliant.

Heating element along the bottom of the windscreen behind the wipers to de ice them. The rear heating element also has a strategically placed zig zag line behind the rear wiper.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - bathtub tom

Hill holder system.

Seen this on a turn of the century car. Consisted of something like a long crowbar pivoted at its front end and held up by a cable at the back. Drop it going up a hil and it would drag along until you stopped and then dig in if you rolled back. Pull away, then haul on the cable and lock it up.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - focussed

Hill holder sytem.

That's really funny!

All UK driving instructors teach moving off on a gradient, both forward and reverse using handbrake and clutch control as a basic skill for the UK driving test!

Corax doesn't say what kind of car, but i'm wondering if it is a Subaru. I know they had a hill holder system at least as far back as the early 80's. As well as a rudimentary system for raising the ride height by going underneath with an appropriately sized spanner!

Another thing from the past i realy like is opening quarter lights, i had them in my 1985 Lada 1600. A great way of getting fresh air into the car without the buffeting or getting wet if it is raining.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - Avant

Oh yes, I have fond memories of opening quarter-lights: my first three cars (Austin A50, MG 1100, MG 1300) had them. Excellent on wet or cold days for keeping the windscreen clear, and on a hot day you could turn them right round and get a terrific blast of cool air on your face.

Ref. Bilboman's post - every Japanese car I've driven has had a feeble horn. Maybe the Japanese are so polite that they never use their horn, so it's fitted just as a legal requirement? Fortunately for our purposes (especially blind bends on country lanes) the Germans are rather less polite.

Edited by Avant on 17/02/2018 at 00:12

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - John F

Oh yes, I have fond memories of opening quarter-lights......

......if we are going historical, so do I. My father's Rovers (105S and 2000TC) had these. The 105S also had a starting handle, one of the last cars to have one. But cranking a twin carb 2.7l six cylinder was not easy!

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - RichT54

A long time ago I had a 1966 S-Type Jaguar which had quarter lights. I remember one day when all the locks had frozen, we managed to pry open one of the rear quarter lights from the outside and then unlock the doors from the inside. Not very secure!

One of my favourite features of that car was the vacuum powered scuttle vent which used to gracefully open itself just after the engine had started.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - corax

Corax doesn't say what kind of car, but i'm wondering if it is a Subaru. I know they had a hill holder system at least as far back as the early 80's. As well as a rudimentary system for raising the ride height by going underneath with an appropriately sized spanner!

Yes, a Subaru Forester bbd. I didn't know about the ride height adjuster, interesting.

Don't get too exited about the suspension corax, i doubt the forester would have that, especially since it has a decent amount of ground clearance anyway. No i think the adjustable suspension would have been on the subaru leone up to the 2nd generation which was replaced in around 1984 though two versions of the 2nd generation continued a bit longer. Those being the 3 door hatch, which is what i had, and the 'brat' pickup.

Early subaru's had some interesting and innovative features, but they were generally quite crude. The 4wd system for example, could not be used on the road, at least not in the dry, as it simply locked the drive to all 4 wheels!. And the adjustable height system symply levered the suspension arms down, so your ride height increased, but at the same time, the track got narrower!. Again, this would not be a good combination on the road, but for the farmers these early subaru's were aimed at, this would have been just grand for getting across a muddy field!.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - movilogo

My wife loves the vanity mirror light (behind the visor). She often switches it on at dark for doing make up (when I'm driving) :-(

I am thinking of taking the bulb out on next servicing :-p

Edited by movilogo on 18/02/2018 at 08:59

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - Bilboman

Ever since I could walk, I'd always been fascinated by gadgets on cars, especially little lights everywhere, and would always toddle around a relative's car to find them all, given half a chance. The excitement when my dad had his first car with an illuminated glovebox! And successive cars my dad and later I owned would have lights for the boot, bonnet, ashtrays... even an arc of light around a cupholder. What decadence!
Among the more useful lighting features was the provision of backlit column stalks on my 1984 Montego: neat little symbols powered by the cleverly incorporated fibre optic threads to remind the driver where to find wipers and flashers. Must have been useful for car hire customers back in the day. I can't recall seeing this feature on any other car since then.

Special feature/s perhaps unique to your car - argybargy

I'll also stake my claim for a uniquely feeble horn. As mentioned on another thread, mine is so pathetic that it would struggle to shake the cups at a Liliuptian tea party.

However, the thing I'm so far most proud of on my Jazz is the secret compartment under the back seat. Lift the seat in magic mode, turn two buttons and there's a place big enough to take an A4 jiffy bag. No room to put anything IN the jiffy bag, but beside the point.

Damn, just realised: its not "secret" any more.

Edited by argybargy on 18/02/2018 at 22:52