What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - Jonathan Boyle

So my Mazda CX5 failed its MOT on the brake discs and said they needed replacing.

I was quoted approx 330 for this (using official Mazda parts) - I said that I would prefer not to use Mazda parts and that would hopefully reduce the costs.

Am I having my eyes ripped out here?

They also said that as I am aware it has failed on this issue, my car insurance would be invalid if I drove off without it being done- my MOT does not expire until the 29th Jan - so I am tempted to go elsewhere for a second opinion,

Thanks for any comments.

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - gordonbennet

Probably the going rate for genuine discs and pads and fitting.

Worth looking at Brembo or similar quality aftermarket parts, i got my last set from Eurocarparts/Carpartsforless (same people), easy to check prices on their site to give you an idea.

I have no idea of the insurance situation, though being sensible if the discs are really so bad then it would make sense only to drive it from the MOT station to a place of repair, if you don't want to you will have to factor in the cost of of transporting your car on top.

I assume the main dealer is the MOT station, maybe time to find an MOT station for the future who is also a competent indy.

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - daveyjp
From my experience a main dealer quote for brakes is twice that a local garage can do it for.

You can price parts online to see how much you are being gouged.

It is however not a good idea to drive a car too far which has failed an MOT for brake problems, although it sounds like it has failed on disk/pad thickness, rather than brake test results.
Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - FiestaOwner

On Friday you said it failed on "emissions and then they realised that it was head gasket failure".

Today it has failed on brake discs. Have you had the head gasket fixed?

Have you checked the MOT history website to see if they have actually done any MOT's on your car? Also to see what it has failed on? When I had my car MOT'd the MOT history website was updated instantly.

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

If the brake discs were OK on Friday, I would have expected them to be OK today.

Also if they're changing brake discs, they're going to change the brake pads too. Is this included in the price?

The Garage is trying to pressurise you into letting them do the work. I'd be taking it elsewhere.

On Friday you said it failed on "emissions and then they realised that it was head gasket failure".

Today it has failed on brake discs. Have you had the head gasket fixed?

Have you checked the MOT history website to see if they have actually done any MOT's on your car? Also to see what it has failed on? When I had my car MOT'd the MOT history website was updated instantly.

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

If the brake discs were OK on Friday, I would have expected them to be OK today.

Also if they're changing brake discs, they're going to change the brake pads too. Is this included in the price?

The Garage is trying to pressurise you into letting them do the work. I'd be taking it elsewhere.

It had failed orginally on the brakes and then I got a call back a bit later about the Head Gasket. So I said not to do anything with the car until I had a think. I didnt want to get the threads to mixed up and jumbled - hence the new thread.

Either way to get its thru its MOT i need the brakes sorting and the head gasket issue sorted so I can get the best possible price when trading in or selling on.

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - John F

This now stinks to high heaven of a scam. I renewed the fourteen year old 95,000m discs (and pads) of our Focus last year for less than 50 quid. It shouldn't take more than an hour of a professional mechanic's time.

Your discs can't be very old - I guess they might not be originals as you said it had '150,000m on the clock' on Friday - although with such a young high-miler they could be. Have you followed the advice and taken it elsewhere for an MoT test? That's what I did when my son's car 'failed' - after it passed elsewhere I complained to the management and got the test fee back.

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - Engineer Andy

I could well understand the price if it were done at a Mazda main dealer - I had mine done on my Mazda3 mk1 and they cost a similar amount (I'm presuming a pair). Mine needed doing because, even though the car had only done (at the time) about 60k miles in 11 years (a year ago), it has had long periods of low use (once a week/fortnight) over the years when I've travelled to work by train or been out of work, leading to binding brakes and warped discs. Its often a judgement call as to how often to use a car (if this was the cause in the OP's case) vs costs of fuel against repairs/replacements of brake parts.

In my case, I now (as well as to keep the battery in good nick [that's £150 a pop for a quality replacement nowadays!]) run the car for a good 2x 12 mile run down the local dual carriageway to the shops in the next town once a week in colder, damp weather and once a fortnight in warmer, drier weather. I think it does also depend on the car/make as well - binding/warped brake discs seem to occur more on Japanese designed cars than other makes, perhaps because they are owned more by elderly drivers who use them less, maybe its a design flaw.

Either way, if I were the OP, Iif they did low mileage like mine, then up the usage a bit, especially in conditions like we have at the moment, but also check with reputable local indie garages to see if they can use either Mazda brake parts (assuming the 'failure' isn't a scame to drum up business - if it can be driven, get a second opinion [on both issues you've raised]) or at least genuine branded OEM equivalents, which may save a reasonable amount, plus the cheaper fitting costs. I wasn't so bothered as I didn't know of any local indies that I could guarantee this, and could afford the cost at the time (not so bad for once every 11 years, even if it had 'only' done 60k miles).

Edited by Engineer Andy on 22/01/2018 at 11:48

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - Manatee

£330 would not be surprising to me for a dealer replacement of all discs and pads using Mazda parts. In fact I'd expect a bit more.

Normally when you get an MOT done the garage will phone you when it is completed, to tell you what it has failed on (if it failed). They don't do part of the MOT, then phone if it fails on something, then carry on doing the rest of the MOT and phone you back with more failures.

I asked on my last post if you've looked up the MOT history online, to confirm the failures. Have you?

On your other thread some posters questioned if the HG issue would affect the emmisions. It's in your interest to look up the MOT history.

The garage might be saying these items will need done to pass the MOT. Remember you presented the car for a service and MOT. I'm wondering if these issues have been flagged up at the service and they've not MOT'd it.

Normally when you get an MOT done the garage will phone you when it is completed, to tell you what it has failed on (if it failed). They don't do part of the MOT, then phone if it fails on something, then carry on doing the rest of the MOT and phone you back with more failures.

I asked on my last post if you've looked up the MOT history online, to confirm the failures. Have you?

On your other thread some posters questioned if the HG issue would affect the emmisions. It's in your interest to look up the MOT history.

The garage might be saying these items will need done to pass the MOT. Remember you presented the car for a service and MOT. I'm wondering if these issues have been flagged up at the service and they've not MOT'd it.

Thanks for your help, yes it did go thru its MOT - details as follows:

Reason(s) for failure
  • Nearside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Nearside Rear brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened In side face. (3.5.1i)
  • Exhaust emits an excessive level of metered smoke (7.4.B.3a)
Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - John F

Reason(s) for failure

• Nearside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Nearside Rear brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened In side face. (3.5.1i)
  • Exhaust emits an excessive level of metered smoke (7.4.B.3a)

So probably just a couple of discs needed, not four.

I don't know much about diesels, but am suspicious that CHG failure is top of the diagnostic list for excessive smoke. Looks as though the failure threshold was suddenly made more stringent in July 2008.

www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m...m

Isn't it more likely to be an injector problem?

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - galileo

Might be worth sticking new wiper blades on and have it re-tested elsewhere?

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - Oli rag

Do the wipers and brakes then change the engine oil ( new oil helps to reduce emissions). After this give it an Italian tune up and stick it in elsewhere for a retest.

Thanks for posting back.

Sorry, I thought it was odd that they didn't tell you all the failures in one go. However my suspicions were wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

If the £330 is just for the rear discs and pads, I would say that it seems a bit expensive. Have a look at the prices on this link. I have never used this company, so am not in any position to recommend them, it's just to show estimated price.

www.clickmechanic.com/price-estimates/mazda/cx-5/r...t

You could take the car back (from the Mazda garage) and add the cooling system sealer that was mentioned in your other thread. Then present it to an independent garage for retest after getting them to look at the rear brakes and replacing the wiper blades.

Do you know of a good independent garage? They should all manage to deal with the brakes, but I'd hesitate to let an unknown one tackle the cylinder head gasket if the sealer doesn't work.

Edited by FiestaOwner on 22/01/2018 at 21:05

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - KJP 123

They also said that as I am aware it has failed on this issue, my car insurance would be invalid if I drove off without it being done- my MOT does not expire until the 29th Jan - so I am tempted to go elsewhere for a second opinion,

Be careful it’s a grey area. The govt. site says,

“Driving a vehicle that’s failed You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.”

But then goes on to say,

“your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.” (£2,500 and 3 points.)

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - gordonbennet

^^ common sense should prevail here, if you had an MOT failure for a rear disc and the old bill pulled you up doing 100mph on a busy M25 then you're likely to be answering charges, but driving the car sensibly to your house or a place of repair (who will confirm the appointment) is more likely to be met with a 'go careful' piece of advice IMHO.

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - argybargy

Don't know what year or variant of the CX5 your car is, but EBC solid rear discs and pads for CX5-2, year 2012 onwards, on Ebay, 88 quid the lot. Fitting £100 on a bad day.

Don't pay what they're asking.

Edited by argybargy on 22/01/2018 at 22:48

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - Terry W

Find a decent independant as main dealer seems to be in rip off mode.

Daughter was quoted around £1100 for a variety of work on an old Clio, Local independant who I hhave used for several years and seems trustworthy in Tauntion repalce rear wheel bearing for around £60.

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - Ian D
The brakes have not failed the MoT on poor efficiency/performance and as the fronts do most of the braking I would drive it carefully to an Indi/alternative MoT station to look at it.

Edited by Ian D on 23/01/2018 at 06:45

Thanks everyone, I have taken it to an experience retired mechanic who is going to have a look at it - as per the above he will make all the changes to get it through its MOT - and he is going to try using head gasket sealer to keep it going until I move it on.

Either way is going - such a shame as its a lovely car - but I don't want to be driving round in fear that something is going to happen to it.

Might use the funds I get from this to arrange a lease or PCP -not sure I would go second hand again and take the risk - I usually go for high mileage ex company car 1 previous owner cars but have had my fingers well and truely burned with this one!

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - FP

"...he is going to try using head gasket sealer to keep it going..."

I keep re-reading this thread and the other one, but I can't find anything that definitively says the head gasket has actually failed.

And if it just the other - relatively minor - issues, aren't we jumping the gun about the need to offload the car?

I will be very interested in what the new guy says about it.

"...he is going to try using head gasket sealer to keep it going..."

I keep re-reading this thread and the other one, but I can't find anything that definitively says the head gasket has actually failed.

And if it just the other - relatively minor - issues, aren't we jumping the gun about the need to offload the car?

I will be very interested in what the new guy says about it.

No you are correct - it is not 100% confirmed! When I recieved the invoice from the dealership garage when I picked it up - I noticed they covered there a***s and said "potential head gasket failure" - as they said that it had consumed 10 litres of water in no time. I drove it round to the mechanics house yesterday, approx 6 miles, and it got there fine enough.

Will keep you posted on what happens next.

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - skidpan

as they said that it had consumed 10 litres of water in no time.

They are taking the p155. Most engines hold less than 5 litres, 10 litres would mean they had filled it twice during the MOT test. If it was using that much it would have run dry while the OP was using the car before and after the MOT.

Simple check, get the antfreeze concentration checked, if there is still some in it they never put 10 litres of water in (unless they added antifreeze and did not charge).

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - FP

As Skidpan says (in not quite the same words), it looks increasingly as if the OP is the victim of dodgy behaviour by the dealer/garage.

I wonder if Avant wants to remove the reference to them in the other thread. Googling brings up many favourable reviews, but a few that absolutely stink even if they are exaggerated, and most of the bad ones are about servicing issues.

I don't want to jump the gun, but if I were a betting man I know where I'd put my money. And if our suspicions are correct, I wonder if Mazda would like to know what's been going on.

Edited by FP on 23/01/2018 at 14:44

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - Rare Bird

Just to make you aware that once you put your vehicle in for an MOT before it's current certificate expiry date (in your case one week) then if it fails you do not still have any remaining days from the previous MOT to fall back on! Your vehicle has failed and if on brakes for example then you would be in breach of your insurance agreement by putting it back on the highway unless repaired first as it has been deemed unroadworthy!

Mazda CX5 - Brake Disc Cost - brum

Just to make you aware that once you put your vehicle in for an MOT before it's current certificate expiry date (in your case one week) then if it fails you do not still have any remaining days from the previous MOT to fall back on! Your vehicle has failed and if on brakes for example then you would be in breach of your insurance agreement by putting it back on the highway unless repaired first as it has been deemed unroadworthy!

Bull. Only if it has a "dangerous" fail listed. You can still drive away with majors.

www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Edited by brum on 30/03/2021 at 01:05