What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf SV, Audi A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - First car advice...Golf SV, A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - fuzzy dunlop

Hello forummers!

I am looking for some helpful tips on how best to spend my money towards my first car

Should I go down the autotrader/HJ used-car/dealership route? Considering the likely age of my choice cars, would PCP be a better option? If so, who do you recommend?

Excuse the long post...

So, my original choice is Alfa Romeo 159, however friends and forum discussions I've read have told me to avoid this manufacturer (subtle Alfa bashing perhaps, but I don't want to look silly by dismissing their concerns completely, only to regret the decision down the line)

I'm down to Golf SV or A3 Sportback. Also heard Mazda 6 is a fun drive so willing to look into this. I did not like Honda Civic during test drive.

I have a budget of around 5K, plus a big chunk for insurance, 2200 going by quote from confused.com (long story...I had several brushes with my now stolen motocycle in the past year)

Thanks in advance!

VW Golf SV, Audi A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - First car advice...Golf SV, A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - Avant

Welcome to the forum!

On a limited budget you should avoid diesel and probably go for either something Japanese (better chance of getting a reliable one) or a Ford Focus (lots of them around to choose from). You could also consider the Vauxhall Astra, but these aren't as good to drive as a Focus.

If you're looking for a car the size of a Golf, the Mazda 3 would be better than the 6: the 6 (as long as you stick to petrol power) is a good car but bigger than the 3.

I don't know why you specify the Golf SV, given that the ordinary Golf hatchback is the same size as an A3 Sportback. VWs and Audis are more expensive than Fords and Vauxhalls of similar vintage, although the SEAT Leon and Skoda Octavia with the same engine will be cheaper. If you are set on a VW Group car, ensure it has manual transmission.

As your froends have told you, Alfas don't have a good name for reliability.

Always remember that condition is ultimately more important than make or model.

Edited by Avant on 12/01/2018 at 14:44

VW Golf SV, Audi A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - First car advice...Golf SV, A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - fuzzy dunlop

Thanks for the post!

Hadn't given much thought to the Focus. Will look into that and Mazda 3

I'm not too keen on Vauxhall, though. Will I be compromising too much on build quality/finish/looks with SEAT and Skoda? No offense to both brands - I know nothing about them. Bearing in mind my starting point was the Alfa Romeo 159 because of the finish...

About the SV. I've only seen these online. I guess that makes the SV is the most spacious of the 3 - ordinary Golf, SV and Audi A3 sportback

VW Golf SV, Audi A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - First car advice...Golf SV, A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - KB.

Have I understood this? A first car with a budget of £5k plus the insurance? OK, that bit sounds sensible and understandable. But then we start to look straight away at Alfas. Mmm. Starting to go awry at the first hurdle.

Then reference to a Golf SV.... for £5,000....? Clearly optimistic.... even it's it a repaired write off.

The OP's not keen on anything too downmarket i.e. Vauxhall, and is unsure whether Seat or Skoda will be respectable enough.... and still we're bearing in mind that this is a first car!

PCP with £5,000 to spend? Seems tricky unless we're talking a base model Dacia (and even they start at £6,000) and certainly unlikely to fulfill the stated criteria.

I'm well and truly beaten by this one.

VW Golf SV, Audi A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - First car advice...Golf SV, A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - badbusdriver

I have nothing against the golf SV, but are you sure that is what you are looking at?. A, they tend to appeal to older or less able people due to being taller than a golf, and, B, the cheapest on autotrader (excluding insurance write offs) is £8k.

At your budget you really want to steer clear of the audi as it will be old, have many miles, many previous owners or possibly a combination of all 3.

The mazda 6 is a fine car, but it is also a big car (mondeo sized), so unless you need the extra space, look at the 3 instead. Petrol powered mazda 3, ford focus and honda civic are definately the best options for long term happiness!.

After reading all these posts, needless to say I have had a re-evaluation of my expectations (fun, decent looking first car on a tight-ish, cash budget) on this one.

I should clarify my comments on PCP. I figure I could increase my options by putting a chunk (or all) of my budget as deposit towards PCP deal, reasonable monthly repayments aside. However it seems fairly realistic to buy outright one of the recommended cars on here - and in fairly good condition too - so this may not be necessary after all.

No doubt I need to build up some years behind the wheel before looking at the premium German brands (a Golf R, or audi S3 would be ideal if money wasn't an issue....).

Some NCB would come in handy too

I'm now leaning towards the mazda 3 or* ford focus. Something like the below (willing to stretch the budget for the right condition car).

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171204179...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171230233...3

Edited by fuzzy dunlop on 13/01/2018 at 08:05

VW Golf SV, Audi A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - First car advice...Golf SV, A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - SLO76
PCP deals are only worthwhile when subsidised by manufacturers which almost always means buying new. On used cars PCP deals and most dealer finance are nowhere near competitive. Take Arnold Clark’s used PCP deal at 8.91% APR, and it’s far from the worst yet it’s madness compared to a bank loan from most high street banks which for over £7,500 will lend at less than 3% which would save a nice four figure sum especially when you factor in that there’s no other fees with a bank loan unlike most dealer finance.

As far as what car to buy well I’d forget performance or premium brands until you’ve built up that experience and slashed that insurance bill, it’s daft to blow £2k plus on insurance to get an Audi badge when a (Yamaha or Mazda engined) Ford Focus, Fiesta, Mazda 2/3 would no doubt be cheaper and in general be much more entertaining to drive than any normal Audi A3 or Golf. The Mazda 6 is a nice car but the diesels are trouble so petrol is the only option and it is a very big car. Good budget options would be a Mk II Ford Focus 1.6 (Yamaha) or 1.8 (Mazda L Series) or a Mazda 3 1.6 all of which will be highly enjoyable to drive, reliable and cheap to buy and maintain.
VW Golf SV, Audi A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - First car advice...Golf SV, A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - Miniman777

SLO76 talks a lot of sense re petrol Mazda's, and can I add that in that price range, the OP might land a troublesome VW/Audi TSi engine with high oil consumption or timing chain issues.

As for finance, nothing in the trade has changed despite indications of sales of new and used cars becoming more difficult as Brexit approaches. Two years ago, I bought a used Cooper S Cabrio (for Mrs Miniman), and as cash buyers, Mini dealer was pushing very hard at a closed door for PCP finance at 10.9%. I could get a bank loan at 3.2%. Despite the £3,600 extra that would have been incurred if the PCP had been taken over full 48 months, no incentives were offered for PCP, so they lost out on a big fat commission. Just a few goodies(daylight running lights, carbo fibre gear knob, etc) might have tilted the scales. New car finance at Mini at that time was 2.9%, so dealers really need to get their act together and match bank loan rates, but buyers need to be savvy and armed with the facts to negotiate a better deal - and be prepared to walk away, too.

VW Golf SV, Audi A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - First car advice...Golf SV, A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - Robsnextcar
The Honda Civic is a very good bet but you say you didn't like it after test drive - like a few of the other posters here I would go with a Mazda 3.......

Yes, the Civic was a decent, if unremarkable ride( my test drive car was a 1.8L, 2014 version)

I'll look into the mazda 3 as recommended by you and others

VW Golf SV, Audi A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - First car advice...Golf SV, A3 Sportback, Mazda 6 - KB.

Now we're back in the real world. Civic, Focus, Mazda 2 or 3 etc. There's loads to pick from if you stick to the more "run of the mill" stuff. A lack of an NCB is, admittedly, a bit of a financial drawback especially if you went for the prestige or performance stuff...which you really should avoid for the time being and which you seem to have settled on - excellent.

But we all started off in the same boat and most have built up a few years which will be a real help for you in a couple of years time and in the meantime your levels of experience will increase.

As will have been reiterated lots of times, on a tight(ish) budget the condition and history and source of the car will be more important than a specific make or spec or colour and if you can buy locally and from a respected and trustworthy seller than so much the better.