What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/A - Red light Camera - Byker Bridge - Janeplain
I’ve only been driving since March this year and last night managed to run a red light on Byker Bridge in Newcastle last night..which has a red light camera on (yellow camera & confirmed this with a quick google search). I hold my hands up that I run the light, I was paying too much attention to the double decker bus on my left which kept creeping over to my side of the road and unfortunately it obscured my view of the upcoming traffic lights until it was too late and through the light I went. Anyway, does anyone know if Northumbria offer a red light driving course or will it be 3 points and a fine? Im devastated that I’ve made such a stupid mistake but just want to prepare myself for the inevitable letter hitting my doorstep in the next few weeks

Edited by Janeplain on 30/09/2017 at 15:05

N/A - Red light Camera - Byker Bridge - Middleman

It will be less than a few weeks. Provided you are the Registered Keeper a "Notice of Intended Prosecution" (a "NIP") together with a request for driver's details should be with you within fourteen days at most and they usually arrive within a week.

Northumbria Police operate the "What's driving us" course for various offences and I believe you should be offered one of those providing the "time into red" is not excessive. Remember to respond to the request for driver's details within the 28 days allowed. Failure to do so is a separate offence which carries six points.

N/A - Red light Camera - Byker Bridge - Janeplain
That’s good to know, thanks for the information - it helps put my mind at ease a little. Hopefully the time won’t be deemed excessive

Edited by Janeplain on 30/09/2017 at 16:45

N/A - Red light Camera - Byker Bridge - focussed

"Failure to do so is a separate offence which carries six points"

And don't forget, if you don't already know this, that if you accumulate 6 points within your first two years after passing your driving test will mean that you will be back to L plates and required to take your test again.

N/A - Red light Camera - Byker Bridge - Jap15105
Can I ask if you received a Nip for this?

Were you travelling towards town?
N/A - Red light Camera - Byker Bridge - Avant

This was from over a year ago, so we probably won't hear from Janeplain again.