What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V low mileage vs high advice - woodsway11
Good Afternoon!!

I'm after any advice if possible. We've decided to go from a 2 seater 4x4 to a 5 seater and the CRV ticks a lot of our boxes. There are two for sale locally and we are a bit stuck as to which is the better option / value. There is a 2005 SE with 40k (petrol) for £5500 and a 2007 EX with 111k (diesel) for £5300. We live in a very remote area so there is not a lot of choice ! Both cars have part service history (don't have specifics as yet). Due to where we live we will do approx 3000 miles,mainly nipping to town, camping (won't be off road driving) and errands like shopping.

We are leaning towards the higher mileage one as the model is the newer one however we could use some advice on any work to look out for that should have been done or any general advice.

Thank you!
Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V low mileage vs high advice - SLO76
No doubts here at all. Go for the bombproof low mileage petrol car over the more complex and far riskier high mileage diesel. For the mileage you do you won't save much on fuel and you're opening yourself up to the possibility of hugely expensive problems.

When buying on a budget always keep it simple. Avoid turbo diesels like the plague at this age and mileage, they're a complete false economy. Honda's normally aspirated 2.0 VTEC unit is a fantastic engine that rarely goes wrong but I'm concerned that both of these haven't been properly maintained. Every car should be serviced EVERY year, this is absolutely vital on turbocharged cars so forget the diesel. I'd be thinking of travelling further afield to find a properly maintained petrol CRV.
Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V low mileage vs high advice - daveyjp

For 3,000 miles a year don't even look at diesels, but at that mileage even a petrol may suffer from lack of use - battery, alternator, brakes, exhaust in particular.

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V low mileage vs high advice - woodsway11
Thank you for the advice. The low mileage petrol option is with a dealer and they have just confirmed it has full service history so I think this seems like the best option. We just can't do more than 300" miles as we live on a small island! i really appreciate you both taking the time to offer your opinion.

Edited by woodsway11 on 16/12/2016 at 16:06

Honda CR-V - Honda CR-V low mileage vs high advice - mss1tw
I made exactly this decision when I bought my 2003 2.0 earlier in the year. It's only done 68,000 miles. Mostly complete service history.

Apparently the A.C., prop-shaft universal joint and central locking can be a problem on these, but the basic bits seem reliable. If the prop-shaft does seize it can just be removed leaving the front wheels only driven. (Again, apparently)

I gave it a good coating of ACF50 underneath and had all the fluids changed (Those I couldn't do myself, it's fairly easy but I didn't have ramps)

TL;DR - get the 2005 petrol. Mine is doing bang on the average 28mpg and that's loaded with tools and having roofbars