What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
KIA Sorento KX2 - New Kia or not? - Alan ellerton

Hi,

At present we have a February 2015 manual KIA KX2 and have just clocked up 34K, all on pleasure trips.

Because of the high mileage we approached a dealer who is willing to knock off around £3 to 4 K of a new KX2, with unfortunately, a low trade in price of around £17.5K.

My question is, do we take the loss and buy a new KX2 given future KIA price rises, and of course the turbulent drop in the exchange rate of the £, or do we keep it until February 'ish in the hope of a better trade in prior to a new plate. We are not bothered about having a new plate as we have a private registration.

Obviously the mileage will increase relative to the time taken to sell, so it's a bit of a conundrum - buy now to possibly save in the future, or get possible better deals albeit with greater mileage in the new year !!!

Any advice, no matter how obvious, would be appreciated.

Finally, we have consisered both the Kx2 Automatic and the KX3 Automatic, but the latter is a bit pricey.

Has anyone any advice/experience of these models especially as we tow a 1500kg caravan.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Alan.......

KIA Sorento KX2 - New Kia or not? - gordonbennet

Just a thought, why not get quotes for a new one via brokers, and a ball park basic cash sale figure from we buy any old stuff, see if the price to change can be bettered, if it can it gives you some ammunition to renegotiate.

Presumably you intend to buy another one in the spring if you don't get one now?, if this is the case i'd have a ring around one or two other dealers and see what they can come up with (cancelled order they need to shift?), and don't forget to ask Hyundai about a deal on the Santa Fe (including broker quotes) if that might be an acceptable alternative.

Just a thought, why not get quotes for a new one via brokers, and a ball park basic cash sale figure from we buy any old stuff, see if the price to change can be bettered, if it can it gives you some ammunition to renegotiate.

Presumably you intend to buy another one in the spring if you don't get one now?, if this is the case i'd have a ring around one or two other dealers and see what they can come up with (cancelled order they need to shift?), and don't forget to ask Hyundai about a deal on the Santa Fe (including broker quotes) if that might be an acceptable alternative.

That's a good idea about brokers and have never used one.

Yes we intend to buy one hopefully in Spring at the latest otherwise the mileage will be even more!!!

Thanks.

KIA Sorento KX2 - New Kia or not? - NARU

Good cars - very happy with my kx3 auto. We also tow a 1500kg caravan.

I suspect you'll see a price rise of 5% or so fairly soon. It was part of the reason I bought mine over the summer.

Unless there's a problem with the car, the other alternative is just to run the one you have to high mileage. Or switch to the (very similar) Hyundai Santa fe - that comes with a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty.

PS. Towing with an auto is so much easier than with a manual. And the Sorento has a sensible torque convertor box.

Thanks Marlot,

We have to consider the 'hold on to it' scenario, but as you say price rises and the devaluation of the £ in the near future could put this car out of range financially.

Good to know your views on towing with Auto, and if it is as good as with our manual we would be well pleased.

Many thanks

Alan

KIA Sorento KX2 - New Kia or not? - FoxyJukebox

"Given future Kia price rises"-interesting. Will be these rises be due to the falling pound or is it a nice excuse to hike a profit?

If the former--then is there such a thing these days as a purely British car without any foreign components that will remain price static for a year or so?

KIA Sorento KX2 - New Kia or not? - gordonbennet

If the former--then is there such a thing these days as a purely British car without any foreign components that will remain price static for a year or so?

Will be interesting to see if British assembled Toyota/Nissan/Honda/JLR price increases are less than the alternatives made elsewhere.

What never ceases to amaze me is how little the British value still excellent used cars where in other countries this doesn't apply, this trend seems to continue no matter how much new car prices rise here...course sods law dictates because i like older Landcruisers that the above trend does not apply and used prices are strengthening if anything.

KIA Sorento KX2 - New Kia or not? - concrete

"Given future Kia price rises"-interesting. Will be these rises be due to the falling pound or is it a nice excuse to hike a profit?

There was a good article in the Telegraph on Saturday. It may have been in the Money supplement. It goes into the car industry and the currency fluctuations and gives some surprising facts. The outcome was that the car industry should be about cost neutral on balance between cheaper exports and more expensive imports on components and finished cars. Also, British car factories are the most productive in Europe so to shift production to other European plants would put a 5 or 6% levy on the cars made. Very interesting and should highlight which manufacturers are profiteering on the situation and which are genuinely affected. When I worked for a company in the 70's and 80's they forward ordered up to a year in advance all based on Swiss Francs, a very stable currency. These businesses know how to get the very best deal and protect themselves, so I bet they still do domething similar.

Cheers Concrete

The price hikes are starting ...

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-paris-motor...t