What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - What price nearly new? - Racing Nige

I have seen a nearly new (1 year / 8000 miles) Mondeo at £23k.

At first glance that seems good against the Ford list price of £32k, but Broadspeed configures the 'real' new price for the car at £26k.

The used car is not VAT-qualifying.

So, surely, the used car is the 'real' price, less VAT = £21.6k and then less a bit more for depreciation. What should I be really expecting to pay for this as a used buy?

Ford Mondeo - What price nearly new? - Falkirk Bairn

>> Non VAT qualifying - red herring unless you are in a specific business - car renting, driving school to name 2.

You do not state the model /engine, gearbox etc etc but @ £32K listit is maybe a "one off" type spec you hve dreamt up.

Most cars less than 1 yr old are Ex day rent, some are genuine demo cars from a local garage BUT many are "day rent/courtesy cars" just like most Avis/Hertz rents.

Broadspeed has a NEW price of £26K

Your Dealer £23K - what is it's history? 50 miles on the clock showroom car or 8-10,000 mile demo (AKA day rent?)

Motorpoint (probably ex rental) 15 Reg 5,000 miles Estate 2.0 TDCI 180 TITANIUM 5DR POWERSHIFT £18,500

The car has nearly every option. I built the spec to match the one that was available. Mileage is 8,000, 65-reg.

Edited by Racing Nige on 09/10/2016 at 11:22

The £23K dealer car is a special 1 off bought in to show off all the gizmos.

My current car is 4 year old & lots of gizmos on it as standard - voice control of heating/aircon, electric this that & the next thing BUT I ignore most of them.

On a clean sheet of paper writ down your "must haves" in 1 column & nice to have in a 2nd column.

Probably most "must haves" will come in a Titanium X spec for maybe £4/5K under the car @ the dealer.

In 2/3 years time when you come to sell £5K of extras will have evaporated in NO VALUE

Ford Mondeo - What price nearly new? - SLO76
The depreciation you'd suffer buying a £23k Mondeo would be crippling. I'd wager that you'd be able run a new Jag XE, Audi A4 or 3 series BM for less. It'll almost half in value the instant you drive out the gates. At 3 years old you'll be looking at trade in values of £8-£9k at best depending on mileage.

Cars that suffer massive depreciation like the Mondeo are best bought at 3 years for a fraction of their original list price.

Just to clarify, the reason I put the bit about the car being non-VAT qualifying is, although VAT can't be reclaimed, if the first owner has already paid the VAT then the reduction in price against new must be at least the amount of VAT, surely....

VAT on cars is a complex area

Most cars cannot have the VAT claimed back - vans, pickups etc all vat reg companies can claim some or all VAT back. Hence you see builders etc with £35K pick-ups that never carry building materials etc etc

Companies that are in day rent, driving schools, genuine demo vehicles in a garage can all claim the VAT back. However when they sell the car they have to charge VAT on the selling price.

EG Day rent car company pay £12,000 inc VAT for the Brand new car.

i.e. Car @ £10K + £2K VAT which they claim back. so they have paid £10K for car

6 months later they auction the car for £9,600

ie. £8,000 + £1600 VAT. The day rent car company now send £1600 to the VATMAN.

If the car is registered t a "normal company" or private buyer the VAT cannot be reclaimed.

Hence VAT qualifying car is a red herring for almost every company & man in the street.

When a VAT Reg Company Leases a car they can often reclaim 50% of the VAT on the monthly lease charge - hence leasing can be attractive to companies.

Ford Mondeo - What price nearly new? - KB.

Comprehensive explanation re. VAT FB.

But, from a broader perspective, I'd have honestly thought the logic of even thinking of buying a nearly new high spec Mondeo for that sort of money beggars belief....for the reasons stated above. It would just HAVE to be an act of madness unless the buyer really, really liked Mondeos and losing disproportionate sums of money wasn't a problem.

Say the cost of leasing /PCP a Standard Spec car is £350 for 36 months.

If we take the same cat and at £1800 of extras - easy on BMW/MB/Audis - they take the £1800 divide by 36 and charge the punter £400 per month - £350 Lease of car + £50 of extras!!

The Lease Company might get a couple of hundred extra Profit if the car is in good order and the extras are the ones in demand - Leather / electric seats / upgraded sound. If the car has leather seats as Std & someone orders £1,000 upgraded Leather and a Special paint finish for £800 the dealer & 2nd hand buyer might not notice.

Friend of my youngest son bought a Cayman + £30K of extras - he would probably have been better buying a 911 for the same money.

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 11/10/2016 at 22:34