What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i20 (2009) - MOT Advisory question... - DJDools
Hi there

I'm hoping someone might be able to help...

My 2009 5-door Hyundai i20 had its annual MOT and service. The MOT came back with an advisory note:

"001 Brake pad(s) wearing thin, front [3.5.1g]"

The garage did phone and notify me (saying the pads were "at 90%" -- whatever that means) and was going to charge £108 to replace the front pads, but I declined at the time.

My car only has 24,000 miles on it (mostly urban driving) -- and I *think* I'm a fairly easy driver. Not heavy.

Before the service there was some occasional squeaking (seeming to come from the rear, mostly after a 3-point turn or after starting from cold), but that seems to have gone now.

Just wondering...

Am I dicing with death by ignoring the advisory note. Would YOU get the 2 front pads replace? If so, what would you expect to pay, roughly?

Would be grateful for any help. Thanks so much.
Hyundai i20 (2009) - MOT Advisory question... - RT

Urban driving is much heavier on brakes than rural roads - lower speeds but more frequent stops.

If you have a good independent workshop, discuss with them.

Hyundai i20 (2009) - MOT Advisory question... - galileo

My trusted indy changed front and rear pads on my i30 (at 46000 miles) for £120, so £108 for fronts only on an i20 seems a bit high.

Hyundai i20 (2009) - MOT Advisory question... - elekie&a/c doctor

Minimum thickness for brake pad material for an mot pass is 1.5 mm.So you are probably near that limit.I am sure a local indy could do the job for less.

Hyundai i20 (2009) - MOT Advisory question... - Cyd

Minimum thickness for brake pad material for an mot pass is 1.5 mm.

The 1.5 thickness for MoT requirements is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM required by law for for a minimum level of safety.

Most manufacturers specify a minimum thickness around 2 to 3mm. In the absence of information to the contrary (by the brake pad manufacturer) you would be well advised to assume 3mm minimum.

At 1.5mm friction material thickness you will be worn onto the "interlayer" where the pad material composition starts to change to make adhesion to the backing plate better. Brake coefficient of friction on the discs falls off significantly at this point.

Hyundai i20 (2009) - MOT Advisory question... - DJDools

Thanks for the responses so far. All very useful and much appreciated.

Hyundai i20 (2009) - MOT Advisory question... - bathtub tom

A second opinion from a good independant (not a quick-fit type place) will probably set you mind at rest.