What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
HONDA CR-V 2.2 i-CDTi Executive - Catergory D - Detomaso

I was about to purchase the above Honda from a private seller when my wife suggested a car check just as a precaution. The car was in beautiful condition with full service history, just what we were looking for. The car check threw up the car was a Cat D Insurance right off in December 2013. As a private sale was the seller obliged to advise the buyer the car had been written off. Lucky escape for us.

Edited by Detomaso on 11/05/2016 at 11:15

HONDA CR-V 2.2 i-CDTi Executive - Catergory D - RT

Category D isn't a write-off

- Category D is for the most lightly damaged cars, or those which were stolen and recovered after the owner had been paid by the insurance company. The official description of a Category D car is one that has suffered accident damage that would cost less to repair than its value.

HONDA CR-V 2.2 i-CDTi Executive - Catergory D - RobJP

A private seller is under no obligation to volunteer any information at all.

If you ask a direct question and they lie, or they make a false statement in the advert, then they are completely liable.

HONDA CR-V 2.2 i-CDTi Executive - Catergory D - Galaxy

Many Category D vehicles have been stolen and then recovered after the insurance company have already paid out for the loss.

RobJP and RT are perfectly correct. A private seller is under no obligation to tell you a car they are selling is Category D. Different matter if it's a trade seller and also a different matter if you ask a direct question and they tell you a lie or deliberately mislead you.

It just goes to shows you should carry out an HPI (or similar) check on any car you are intending to purchase before the sale goes ahead.

It may-well be a good car but it will always be a Category D. This will reflect in the cars value, both now and in the future.

Edited by Galaxy on 11/05/2016 at 12:01

HONDA CR-V 2.2 i-CDTi Executive - Catergory D - NARU

Category D isn't a write-off

- Category D is for the most lightly damaged cars, or those which were stolen and recovered after the owner had been paid by the insurance company. The official description of a Category D car is one that has suffered accident damage that would cost less to repair than its value.

Here's the ABI document with the categories. www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publication...x

Edited by Marlot on 11/05/2016 at 13:25