What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - Moyrah

I have what has been up to now a very reliable Citroen Xsara Picasso - Deisel (milage 108890) - It now has a few issues, EGR valve (been cleaned once already), Clutch is high and going, NS Hbrake caliper need renewing as does back brakes, and the timing belt will be due at 150000. The MOT is due late summer and P/E (on checking with tool section is roughly £650) the estimate for all in is around £1500 and the debate mmm does one go with it or change vehicle? My milage varies and its very rural and hilly at times. The mechanic recommends to P/E. Its a while since Ive bought direct through the market and my budget is very limited <£2000

I wondered how the following early models would compare or if worth considering if going for a replacement rather than repair.

Honda Civic 1.6 i VTEC SE or the Mazda 2 1.6 Capella or 1.4 TDS (2004) or the SEAT or the Ford Focus 1.6

I tend to favour around the 1.6 anything higher I have always considered less economical (older cars remember) and unnecessary and the smaller not enough umph

Opinions most welcome

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - gordonbennet

You've got another 40k before the cambelt is due if i've read that right.

Brake caliper might free off with some lube and working, if not it won't be silly money, arguably if it had been lubed regularly then it wouldn't be sticking but we are where we are, rear brake pads/discs are consumables that any car will need sooner or later.

EGR might clean again, and could (in theory) be blanked off altogether but you'd need more knowledgeable advice than mine about that.

Clutch again is a consumable, but suggest you get it done as soon as it starts to slip cos if might take the flywheel with it if left too long.

So to sum up, for the cost of a clutch, new back brakes, possible new caliper, possible new clutch, possible EGR, and you've got another 40,000 miles use...so my choice would be stick with the devil you know and make the decision what to do again when the mileage is getting towards 150k.

Given the budget, the chances of finding anything as economical and with everything ship shape and up to date are not good, only my opinion mind.

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - Engineer Andy

Quite right - like with the thread on "Repair or Scrap – how to decide ?" (page 2 of Motoring Discussion threads), its often far better and cheaper to spend money on maintaining a reliable car you know (especially if they are just consumable/general wear and tear items and not major [read expensive/terminal] structural or other serious corrosion-related items) than to sell it and buy a completely different car which will likely by far from new as well.

Even with a FSH you won't really know its entire history outside of servicing - driven for lots of short journeys, or seldom used but for long trips, thrashed, kept in a poorly ventilated garage (potential rust problems), etc.

I agree with gb, and would say that you can save a bit more up for a newer car after, say, another 2-5 years (depending on your annual mileage - maybe more) when your current car is uneconomic to run or starts to fall to bits.

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - RobJP

I'd also agree with GB and Andy. Any car you buy for that sort of price may well have been sold because it has a number of upcoming costs or current problems, and you really could be heading from the frying pan into the fire.

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - Auristocrat

The Mazda 2 is the smallest of your choice. The European versions were built on the same production line as the Fiesta/Fusion and share engines, mechanicals, etc with the Ford twins.

Quite roomy for a supermini of that age. The rear hatch extends right down to bumper level and the opening is large with a low sill. The Capella versions come with 16 inch wheels and 45 profile tyres, so the ride is quite hard.

We had a 57 reg 1.4 Capella for 4.5 years from new - no problems, and routine servicing only.

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - Oli rag

Buy a well looked after Honda civic with full service history, very few common faults.

Edited by Oli rag on 12/04/2016 at 18:14

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - scot22

My vote would be to keep. I'm reluctantly looking to buy a newer car because, although my car was suitable when bought, it no longer is the best for our needs.

I am reluctant because everything has been maintained scrupulously : all possible to keep it at a high standard. However, part exchange will be a fraction of what it is worth to me.

I am being very careful that my next choice is what we now, and hopefully will, need. As now it will be properly maintained but we will be able to keep it much longer to get full benefit..

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - Stumblebum

You could buy, for example a £2K Honda Civic (or what ever) and then find you need to spend another £1K on tires, brakes, cambelt etc. At this price range people often let go of cars just before big bills are coming up.

I spent £3K on a Honda Accord petrol Estate; mechanically no problem but had to spend on fixing powered tail gate, brakes, tyres etc. Fortunately I had money in hand for this. Unfortunately the car got totalled by an SUV driven with more enthusiam than skill after I got all the issues fixed.

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - gordonbennet

From Moyrah's OP

'' My milage varies and its very rural and hilly at times.''

With presumably not the best road surfaces either, which is another plus for Xsara Picasso, you'll struggle to find a more supple ride and generally more comfy vehicle that what you already have within budget, plus a turbo Diesel like yours i have no doubt romps up and down those hills with ease, that might not be the case with the others without working them hard with resulting fuel penalties.

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - Gibbo_Wirral

Another vote to keep. I'm in the same boat here with an aging but so far reliable 2003 Peuegot 307 diesel.

Its a pain to have to do the age related fixes, but at least parts on Peugeot Citroen are reasonably cheap for the older models.

Imagine getting rid and spending all your cash on a newer car, then having problems that will skint you.

Citroen Xsara Picasso to Honda, Mazda, SEAT ? - Advice on changing the Picasso to a reliable - HandCart

Having recently been through almost exactly the same scenario with SWMBO's car, I, overall, also vote to keep your existing car for a while yet.

One can get lucky, and happen upon a car in the £2k price region which is fantastic and will give years of reliable service, but you will likely expend a lot of time finding such a car.

The exercise really did, in the end, demonstrate just how valuable provenance is: At least YOU have a good idea about which bits on your current car are a bit dodgy and which bits otherwise are in fine health.

Another factor that occurs to me is how much your fuel bill might go up when using a 1.6 petrol on local-ish journeys compared to your diesel Picasso.
And the Mazda 2's 1.4 diesel is the same engine as in the same-era Fiesta, is it not?, which I believe is almost certain to need a new set of injectors fitting at some point; a job which can be quoted at £1000.