What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
FORD MONDEO TITANIUM DIESEL TDCI 2.0 - ford mondeo engine noise and rattle - james001

Hi

Could anyone please tell me what kind of noise is it ?

I have had fan belt and starter motor changed and since then this noise and engine rattle appeared. Bear in mind plz that it only makes sound and engine rattles on cold start once it is warmed noise disappear so as rattling. Plz click link below to see the video of rattle & noise. I would really appreciate if someone could suggest. Thanks

youtu.be/8WzacAbt748

FORD MONDEO TITANIUM DIESEL TDCI 2.0 - ford mondeo engine noise and rattle - Cyd
and since then this noise and engine rattle appeared. Bear in mind plz that it only makes sound and engine rattles on cold start once it is warmed noise disappear

"since then"? What, immediately you drove home from the garage or weeks later?

On the pathetic speakers on my laptop it sounds like tappet rattle. Let's see what others think.

How often have you been changing the oil? What is its typical drive cycle?

FORD MONDEO TITANIUM DIESEL TDCI 2.0 - ford mondeo engine noise and rattle - elekie&a/c doctor

Does the noise change if you depress the clutch pedal?

FORD MONDEO TITANIUM DIESEL TDCI 2.0 - ford mondeo engine noise and rattle - gordonbennet

There seems to be a slight ringing sound underneath the rest of the clatter.

As Cyd, i'd be inclined to treat it to an oil and filter change with some decent quality oil first, see if it's any better, i've known some ominous sounds to vanish permanently once a proper oil was put in.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/04/2016 at 11:12

FORD MONDEO TITANIUM DIESEL TDCI 2.0 - ford mondeo engine noise and rattle - Peter.N.

Sounds like a typical cold diesel engine to me - maybe I'm missing something.

FORD MONDEO TITANIUM DIESEL TDCI 2.0 - ford mondeo engine noise and rattle - Cyd

On my pathetic speakers I didn't hear that metallic rattle, so can you answer Leckie's question please. I think I follow his thinking, might be a slight rattle coming from the gearbox. My own box rattles at idle and I treat it to a MTF change every 30k and it's been fine for the last 60k (a 6 speed F40 GM 'box handling 270hp/370Nm from a tuned Saab B207R).

Try some Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle:
www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/products/cars...l
I tried some Torco first, but my 'box really seems to like that Castrol (popular in Scoobies too apparently)