Honda CR-V 2.0lt Petrol 4WD Auto 65/2015 Plate - Engine power - brj

This engine is very under-powered for an otherwise perfect car, un-responsive in Auto. I have to engage S and use the paddle change to drive up the steep hills were I live. Can this engine be tuned to give more power in Auto?

Honda CR-V 2.0lt Petrol 4WD Auto 65/2015 Plate - Engine power - focussed

The petrol auto CRV is a lot of car for a 2.0 litre buzzy motor, Honest John said it doesn't set the pulse racing as well.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/honda-cr-v/cr-v-petr.../

Make sure the eco mode is not selected, and to make it go you've got to spin the motor up - and that will increase fuel consumption, but I suspect you know that already.

Honda CR-V 2.0lt Petrol 4WD Auto 65/2015 Plate - Engine power - TTToommy

My 2.0se petrol auto is a similar vintage to yours, its now done 2000 miles and it is now faster (certainly not fast) that it was when I first bought it though it REALLY doesn't like longer hills

It feels a heavy car but I do get around 5mpg better fuel consumption versus my 2006 mk2, also noticed the revs are a lot lower at any given cruise in the new model.

any "adjustments" to up the bhp would I guess invalidate the warranty and the insurance ?

Edited by TTToommy on 17/04/2016 at 18:46

Honda CR-V 2.0lt Petrol 4WD Auto 65/2015 Plate - Engine power - Falkirk Bairn

I have 3 yr old 2.0 auto.

Lacks power - in other markets (USA) they have a 2.4 with 35BHP more

Other annoying feature is the cars inability to decide what gear to be in.

Other than power & auto foibles it's a great car.

I get mocked by my ~40 yr old kids who run German cars - mind you the CRV is handy when they need furniture / fridges / TV picked up - 3 ltr twin scroll turbo charged saloons are useless for the important things in life - going to tip, picking up people from airport, etc etc

Honda CR-V 2.0lt Petrol 4WD Auto 65/2015 Plate - Engine power - gordonbennet

Presumably a 2 litre VTEC, power doesn't come in till you get right up the rev range but then it should get a move on, i don't like having to thrash vehicles like this it just seems wrong.

Honda CR-V 2.0lt Petrol 4WD Auto 65/2015 Plate - Engine power - galileo

Presumably a 2 litre VTEC, power doesn't come in till you get right up the rev range but then it should get a move on, i don't like having to thrash vehicles like this it just seems wrong.

In the 1960s I had a 2.6 Zephyr 6, foot down and it just picked up speed, sounded effortless, peak torque at about 2000 rpm.

Max power was 98 bhp at 4750 rpm, which is the peak torque rpm of my current i30 1.4, (max power is 109 at 6250), so quick overtaking and fast progress needs revs.

The upside is I get at least 50% better fuel consumption than the Zephyr, but I still have a secret longing for something with a big, lazy engine. No substitute for cubic inches, is there?

Honda CR-V 2.0lt Petrol 4WD Auto 65/2015 Plate - Engine power - gordonbennet
No substitute for cubic inches, is there?

Nearly misread that.:-)

No there isn't, and thinking of my favourite engines over the years, they've all had buckets of low engine speed torque, nothing worse for me than a vehicle that is missing that vital ingredient.

Forced induction can make a good engine better, but it has to be big enough in CC IMHO to be a decent engine in unblown form (which is where so many fall down), good on paper figures which seems to be the most important thing doesn't always translate to good to drive normally, a turbo on the OP's 2.0 litre would make it a different animal i suspect.

Some favourite engines i've owned or in lorry terms driven long term, Fords 3.0V6, Ford's 5.7 V8, GM's 5.0V8, Rover's 3.5V8, Merc's 3.2 i6.

My two favourites were Cummins' 14 litre i6 Diesel from the 80's, lightly blown with massive torque from 800rpm, max torque @ 1100rpm @ 70mph, and my present steed the 3.4 V6 NA petrol in the old Landcruiser which is an engine you'd enjoy G, so long as you ignored its thirst.

Isuzu made a lorry engine i'd have liked to try out, went in one of their standard artic tractors, 30 litre V10 naturally aspirated, apparently runs 600hp at some stupidly low revs, wonder what the torque would be on that, i want one..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/04/2016 at 00:39

Honda CR-V 2.0lt Petrol 4WD Auto 65/2015 Plate - Engine power - galileo

Around 1979/80 I had use of a company Rover SD1 3.5 V8, this was when I worked with engineers developing fan-drives, did lots of mileage collecting components.

The Cummins 14 litre (known as 'old reliable' by Cummins) had efficiency improved during the 70s by superseding their original T50 turbos with the twin-inlet design developed by the company I worked for (now known as Cummins Turbo Technologies).