What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A4 avant 3.0Tdi quattro s-tronic, 2012, 28000 - A4 strong vibrations on motorway - Davidfrance

Just got this car and like many things about it. However there is clearly a problem : I thought that there was an auto box problem but the more I drive it, the more I am convinced that the problem is between the box and the wheels in the 'final drive' or thereabouts.

The phenomenon is as follows : The noise level (this car is well sound-proofed and I have new tyres) somewhere starts to increase from 55 mph. It's a low frequency rumbling noise which increases with vehicle speed rather than box revs. At 65 mph a bit more noise and if I am cruising at 80+ mph with cruise control on (in D or S or M box mode) the noise is definitely higher and whatever is causing it starts to shake the car a bit. The more I drive the more the shaking can increase and the noise starts to boom around the cabin of the car. When the phenomenon is in full swing, if I depress the accelerator fully down to go into 'kick-down', the car cannot accelerate normally and seems 'blocked' - shaking can increase even more at this point. Any ideas ? Many thanks.

Audi A4 avant 3.0Tdi quattro s-tronic, 2012, 28000 - A4 strong vibrations on motorway - RobJP

If by 'just got this car' you mean 'just bought this car', then it is faulty, by the sounds of it.

Look up 'Consumer Rights Act 2015', read it in full, and take it back to where you bought it from.

The clock is ticking on your 30 days to reject the car ... do not delay.

Audi A4 avant 3.0Tdi quattro s-tronic, 2012, 28000 - A4 strong vibrations on motorway - Davidfrance

Too late - just received delivery from an Audi dealer in France (where I am based) and here we have only 15 days. (In the US they always say 'the consumer is king' but in France it's definitely not like that !). It's already 20+ days although I do have a 2 year guarantee to fall back on. The problem with these Audi's is they're so well finished and super to drive that it's easy to make a wrong decision like this :-(

Audi A4 avant 3.0Tdi quattro s-tronic, 2012, 28000 - A4 strong vibrations on motorway - Peter D

You mention new tyres. Is that the cause of your problem. An out of shape/faulty tyre. Regards Peter

Audi A4 avant 3.0Tdi quattro s-tronic, 2012, 28000 - A4 strong vibrations on motorway - John F

the more I drive it, the more I am convinced that the problem is between the box and the wheels in the 'final drive' or thereabouts.

Any ideas ? Many thanks.

Premature DMF failure? There's some stuff about this on Audi forums - there seems to be a few probs with this relatively new s-tronic surcacing.