What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - Smithy777

Spent a long time saving up and I've ordered up a new fiesta. After waiting several weeks for a factory order went in to pick it up from the local franchised dealer.

On being show around the car, I came across a couple of small scratches. The dealer had no idea.

I usually buy cars outright and keep for many years. My last one did not arrive with any scratches.

As you can imagine I was not best pleased.

The dealer was very apologetic and offered to sort out the scratches.

The dealer did say that on the odd occasion new cars arrive from the
factory with a few marks (caused during transit) but they usually get
sorted out before the customer sees any damage.

I was offered some compensation but I was so annoyed
that I left and said I'd contact them when I've calmed down.

Just wondering has anyone else had these problems in the past?

What are my options?

Trying to decide what to do?

I know that potentially the next time I park up the car I'm could get some marks from other road users bashing car doors.

Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - scot22

Worse problems can be covered up by a good body man. The dealer seems to have responded correctly and, in addition, offered compensation.

If it had been seen you wouldn't have known anything about it. I understand your annoyance, but you may in the future be looking for some dealer goodwill. Think of the long term, in my opinion.

Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - Wackyracer
It depends how bad it is, If it's only light scratching to the paint surface it could be buffed out with a cutting compound but, if it has dented the metal then it's either paintless dent removal(never a 100% job in my opinion) or a fill and respray of the panel.

Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - Avant

You're right to expect it to be perfect if it's brand new. But if they really are only small scratches, the dealer should be able to make it look perfect. Allow them to try and then scrutinise it very carefully - perhaps taking a knowledgeable friend along with you - before you decide whether to accept it.

Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - RT

I'd have refused to accept it and not completed the finance - it's absolutely inexcusable on a brand new car.

Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - Wackyracer
I agree RT, that was pretty much what I did the last time I bought a new car. If their PDI didn't pick up scratches what else have they not bothered checking?
Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - Galaxy

It's what you get these days, I'm afraid. PDI? There probably isn't one!

I agree with the others. If it were me I would have refused to accept the car and with-held payment. That's the only sort of language some dealers understand.

Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - scot22

As has been pointed out we do not know how bad the scratches are. I would expect if they had been that bad the dealer would have noticed them.

It still seems to me the dealer is wanting to be reasonable. Again as has been suggested allow him to try to remedy the problem and then decide.

OP also, quite rightly, says it could happen in a car park. I would still wish to maintain good relationships. If OP keeps the car,, a few years down the line might be looking for goodwill from the dealer.

Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - craig-pd130

When I collected my previous Volvo V60 from the dealer, I drove the 25 miles home. Getting out, I noticed two grooves in the paintwork that ran across the width of the roof, as if something had been placed on the car's roof before the paint had hardened.

Rang the dealer straight away, they arranged for a courtesy car to be dropped off and my car picked up for attention in their body shop. They did this, car came back in 'new' condition 2 days later.

Conclusion: let the dealer sort it out and compensate you. Good service isn't the absence of mistakes, it's how they are handled.

Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - 72 dudes

Exactly Craig pd and Scott22.

It's a long time ago now but in the school and university holidays, I used to work in the valeting team at at BL/Jaguar/Rover/Triumph dealer (told you it was a while ago!)

It was unusual for a brand new car NOT to end up the paintshop for some minor scratch or other.

With better cutting compounds and 'smart' repairs these days, it will easily be sorted to 'as new'.

Let the dealer fix it, then scrutinise carefully to ensure you are happy.

Ford Fiesta - New Car With Scratches - Falkirk Bairn

Every so often, despite parking carefully away from the hordes, a ding appears in a door/wing.

The "dentman" charges £40/£50 per panel to fix things - at the end of his "day job" - fixing dents in 2nd hand cars & new ones @ local dealers - he might see 20+ cars in a day and many are new - according to him.

He's good - unless you knew where the dings were you would never know in 95%+ of cases - even a punched panel looked brilliant after 5 mins work of ironing out the dent.

He used to work for a franchise but now he has his own garages and word of mouth for small jobs keeps him busy 5+ days per week and no franchise fees. When I first needed him nearly 20 years ago it was a franchise - did little for him & and paid out 60+ days later.