What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - toria63

I have put down a deposit on a white Ford Fiesta Titanium X that is currently in Spain in the holding compound - it's NOT a factory order. I was happy that things were muddling along until yesterday when I got an email from my local nameless dealer (suffice to say, they are large) saying that I needed to go in, finalise the finance paperwork (they've already done the proposal and that's been accepted - for a very small amount so I only went down this route to get the savings) and pay the full balance BEFORE even seeing the car. I know there has been another post about this so apologies for reposting but we're a few years on now and I'm wondering whether things have changed? I'm extremely reluctant to give these guys any more of my hard-earned cash - they already have my deposit of £500 paid over the phone on a CC. Am I quite within my rights still to insist on payment on collection with a debit card having very closely scrutinised the car (it's brand new) and had a test drive in it? If the company went belly up between me giving them wads of cash and me getting my car, I'd be in trouble wouldn't I - in terms of getting my money back, especially if paid on a debit card? I'm in two strong minds to walk away from this deal, even if it means me losing my deposit - I don't really want to deal with sharks like this. To add insult to injury, I'm an existing customer of theirs and they didn't even apologise when, as a member of their Saturday club (essentially, I get my car valetted every month), their cleaning sub-contractors didn't admit to removing paint from my car in the process of washing it! The dealer did fix it, reluctantly at their expense (well, covered by the paint protection policy) but not a word of apology from anyone - and it was definitely the cleaning guys that did it as I inspect my vehicle before and after such things and usually photograph it! I think I should never have gone back to them - I'm sure not all dealers in this group are the same, in fact, I know they're not as I had visited another one and they seemed far nicer and more professional! Perhaps one day I will learn!!

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - oldroverboy.

You are entitled to Pay when you take possession of the vehicle.

Remind them of UK contract law and say you will pay by debit card on collection.

If they are not happy with this ask for a refund.

The law in this case is on your side.

You appear not to be happy with the dealership, so call the Dealer Principal and clarify all of the above.

You may find that the salesman wants you to pay to get his "bonus " earlier.

Stay calm and enjoy the car when you get it.

Happy motoring.

ORB

Edited by oldroverboy. on 21/09/2015 at 16:30

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - daveyjp

The only time I have paid upfront was when using a broker and payment was to the dealership which was 200 miles away. I could have gone down myself and paid then picked the car up, so the risk was mine.

If you are picking the car up from the dealership you pay the day you pick it up.

30 September is quarter end - bonus time - and I suspect ORB is onto something about sales staff sealing the deal before this date.

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - toria63

Indeed daveyjp - the salesman even said as much! Mind you, he didn't look, or sound, old enough to tie his own shoelaces!!! I think he's just on a learning curve but his boss is even worse - a realy sneary, slimey character!!

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - Engineer Andy

Maybe you could ask him for a 'cut' of his bonus if you did pay up early? ;-)

Thanks ORB, I'm sure it will all be fine but it kind of puts you off a dealership when they behave like this. I already have the Fiesta TX so this is just a replacement - they're fab little cars and this new one as a SatNav (albeit a rather basic, non-touchscreen one) and reversing camera - woohoo - what is it they say, little things ......!

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - Falkirk Bairn

If you have paid a deposit by CC you are covered under Section 75 for the whole transaction - (Anything between £100 & £30K) is covered - assuming it is a private buy & not a business deal).

It is quarter end and the dealership will be needing to pay quaterly bills (VAT Tax man, Suppliers etc etc) so they are on the Collection rounds trying to use your money to pay their bills without borrowing. They may have agreed to take XXX cars and have fallen short of deals to cover their commitments.

Just sit tight and pay on delivery.

A Peugeot/Kia delaer went bust in Livingston 2/3 yrs ago and some customers lost the money they had put down - one woamn lost the full purchase price - Dealer promised delivery but Kia did not deliver the car as they knew the garage were on the point of going belly up.

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 21/09/2015 at 16:52

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - RT

Is this Deja Vu? I thought we had the same topic from Victoria a few weeks back.

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - Manatee

They probably plan to register the car in September to hit a target, notwithstanding that it will not be delivered (presumably, because it is in Spain) until October.

They may well say the deal agreed was based on September registration so you could have a fight; but unless they made this clear in advance and you agreed to it I'd stand my ground.

I have never paid the cash balance before pick up, but I have at least once agreed to registering in the previous month when the car was in transit.

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - Avant

I agree with the others. Don't be bounced into paying more than your deposit up front: they have no right under contract law to insist on it.

If they won't budge, walk away and demand your deposit back. There are probably more good deals availeble on Fords than on any other make, so just shop around.

Thanks for all your messages guys. On checking my documentation, it actually says that you pay the outstanding balance either on or before collection date so that's rather vague and they gave me an ETA of 5 weeks (so that's 4.5 weeks from today). Also, the order form I have in my possession has no signatures on it, not even mine (it IS an original), though I did sign one but they've kept that! Therefore, is this still a legally binding contract? I don't particularly want to walk away but their business practices seem rather strange to me and there is absolutely no way I'm paying them any more money (and I've told them so) until I've closely inspected AND driven the car - as indeed it suggests on their own Ts and Cs! If they say I cannot do that, then they are, in my opinion, renaging on the contract! The sales 'executive' (that's a laugh!), I have discovered yesterday, is on a training course ..... enough said! As said previously, he didn't look old enough to be working!!! I'm so tempted to tell them to stick their car where the sun doesn't shine and go elsewhere and get a car that is currently in stock so I can see it before signing anything - also, as an aside, I'm guessing this could be considered as a 'distance selling' transaction as I paid the deposit over the telephone without having seen the actual car!!!

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - FP

A number of issues here:

"... the order form I have in my possession has no signatures on it, not even mine (it IS an original), though I did sign one but they've kept that! Therefore, is this still a legally binding contract?"

Yes, it is. You have signed the document - this is the key point.

"... there is absolutely no way I'm paying them any more money (and I've told them so) until I've closely inspected AND driven the car - as indeed it suggests on their own Ts and Cs!"

"Suggests" is vague. Before getting into a dispute with the dealer you need to be absolutely clear what kind of a deal you are involved in.

"... I'm guessing this could be considered as a 'distance selling' transaction..."

According to my research, "Distance Selling Regulations no longer apply in UK law. As of 13 June 2014 the Consumer Contracts Regulations - which implement the Consumer Rights Directive in UK law - apply to all purchases you make at a distance." (www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distanc...s)

However, it seems to me some of the legal protection remains, e.g. the right to cancel within 14 days. In addition: "Your right to cancel an order starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive it." (from the page quoted above)

Forgive me for pointing out that you are getting too emotionally involved in this - your sense of grievance over past mistreatment and contempt for the sales executive, for example.

You need a clear head to make your next decision, but I'd say (as others have suggested) that if you're unhappy and/or have a bad gut feeling about the deal, then back out.

Edited by FP on 22/09/2015 at 12:04

A number of issues here:

"... the order form I have in my possession has no signatures on it, not even mine (it IS an original), though I did sign one but they've kept that! Therefore, is this still a legally binding contract?"

Yes, it is. You have signed the document - this is the key point. Good point, agreed!

"... there is absolutely no way I'm paying them any more money (and I've told them so) until I've closely inspected AND driven the car - as indeed it suggests on their own Ts and Cs!"

"Suggests" is vague. Before getting into a dispute with the dealer you need to be absolutely clear what kind of a deal you are involved in. Just a straight forward part-ex with a new car on a small HP agreement, just to get the discounts. Would ANYONE you know part with hard earned cash before seeing something, I certainly wouldn't, despite any protections that may be in place - it's the inconvenience factor of having to get something sorted after the event and if you take possession of something that has a fault and you do not make that known to the dealer promptly, then you're considered to have 'accepted' the problem.

"... I'm guessing this could be considered as a 'distance selling' transaction..."

According to my research, "Distance Selling Regulations no longer apply in UK law. As of 13 June 2014 the Consumer Contracts Regulations - which implement the Consumer Rights Directive in UK law - apply to all purchases you make at a distance." (www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distanc...s) - hmm, interesting, I was not aware of that so thank you :-)

However, it seems to me some of the legal protection remains, e.g. the right to cancel within 14 days. In addition: "Your right to cancel an order starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive it." (from the page quoted above) - the car deposit was only paid last Sunday so by my reckoning and your link to the Which website, I still have time to cancel the order entirely though I suspect I may not get my deposit back, right?

Forgive me for pointing out that you are getting too emotionally involved in this - your sense of grievance over past mistreatment and contempt for the sales executive, for example. - no, you're absolutely spot on, sadly - I tend to think with my heart rather than my head, I'm female, enough said!! ;-)

You need a clear head to make your next decision, but I'd say (as others have suggested) that if you're unhappy and/or have a bad gut feeling about the deal, then back out. - I think that may be the final outcome - at least if I can source a car elsewhere that I can actually see before signing on the dotted line, that would give me more piece of mind.

Thanks again for all your input and time - it's greatly appreciated.

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - FP

" Before getting into a dispute with the dealer you need to be absolutely clear what kind of a deal you are involved in.

- Just a straight forward part-ex with a new car on a small HP agreement, just to get the discounts."

All I was trying to say was that the wording of the Terms and Conditions needs to be examined. YOU may be clear about what kind of deal you're getting, but the T & C won't "suggest" anything - it will either be clearly stated or not - we're talking about a legal document here.

So when you say higher up this thread, "... there is absolutely no way I'm paying them any more money (and I've told them so) until I've closely inspected AND driven the car - as indeed it suggests on their own Ts and Cs!" you need to know exactly where you stand.

Don't despair of getting your deposit returned if you back out, though you may have to fight for it. Again, what - exactly - does the documentation say?

Lastly, I really don't think being a female comes into this. Plenty of men apply a pretty quaint kind of logic to car purchases, though most of them are probably driven by different priorities from most women. It's all too easy to make the wrong decisions when a major purchase is involved.

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - skidpan

There is a simple answer. The end of September is the end of the quarter. They will be wanting to register the car so that it goes on the September quarter's sales figures, if they meet their target Ford increases the bonus not only on cars they sell after reaching the target but on all cars sold in the quarter. If they are close to meeting the target they will be doing all they can to register cars and obviously they will not want to register the new car in your name before they are paid.

If you paid the deposit by credit card you are pretty well protected but I would not be paying for a car until I had inspected it and ensurred its exactly what I had ordered.

Your call but if you refuse to pay early I cannot imagine they will cancel the order and refund your deposit. A sale is a sale after all.

There is a simple answer. The end of September is the end of the quarter. They will be wanting to register the car so that it goes on the September quarter's sales figures, if they meet their target Ford increases the bonus not only on cars they sell after reaching the target but on all cars sold in the quarter. If they are close to meeting the target they will be doing all they can to register cars and obviously they will not want to register the new car in your name before they are paid.

If you paid the deposit by credit card you are pretty well protected but I would not be paying for a car until I had inspected it and ensurred its exactly what I had ordered.

Your call but if you refuse to pay early I cannot imagine they will cancel the order and refund your deposit. A sale is a sale after all.

Thanks for that. According to the Which website, I have a 14 day cooling off period as the deposit was paid over the telephone - the other poster kindly pointed this out and he's absolutely correct. I may have to forego my deposit but I'll see what happens. It's NOT a factory order, it's just sitting in a holding depot in Spain!!

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - oldroverboy.

Let us know what happens,

Let us know what happens,

Will do, though on further reading of the Which website re 14 day cooling off period, that only applies to orders placed over the phone where the order form is not then signed in branch - mine was so I think I'm stuffed, unless they insist on the payment up front thing and if they do, I will direct them to their own Ts and Cs! Thanks again chaps :-)

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - nortones2

You made a contract when you paid over the phone. Paperwork just filled out the details, so I would guess the CCR apply. Put it to Which as a query?

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - skidpan

When I bought my last car I paid the deposit over the phone and signed the paperwork 4 days later (when I collected the car). I was covered by the Distance Selling Regs so I acnnot see why the OP would not be.

When I bought my last car I paid the deposit over the phone and signed the paperwork 4 days later (when I collected the car). I was covered by the Distance Selling Regs so I acnnot see why the OP would not be.

I think if this was before June last year, then that was fine but the regs have changed but I think as I signed the order form on the dealers premises, I'm bound to the contract - at least, that's my understanding!! Thanks again everyone :-)

You made a contract when you paid over the phone. Paperwork just filled out the details, so I would guess the CCR apply. Put it to Which as a query?

Forgive my ignorance but what is CCR?

Ford Fiesta Titanium X - Full payment requested weeks before collection - nortones2

From a handy link given above, Consumer Contracts Regulations. Replacing the Distance Selling Regs. Consumer Contracts Regulations