What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Estate - 2004 focus 1.8 tdci , power loss , bad starting - weavy2010

Hi everyone

Well after having the car 2 weeks problems started ! ...reading the net ...I'm not alone

The car has done 155,000 with full history , bought with no warranties ...one day after getting it was driving along and all was fine , went to give it a blast and she went into limp mode , stop restart and all was well , this however keeps happening

Then she became hard to start , had an injector changed by the garage I got it off , still had the limp problem but she had stopped smoking ,then became really hard to start and sounded rather ill with a slight judder going through the gears

I then put a new battery on ..no change

New camshaft sensor... No change

Cleaned out the egr valve ...no change

Checked all hoses

Then she failed to start

New glow plugs fitted ..no change

Green flag out , 2 fault codes one for turbo boost ( pretty sure its the sensor and its sending her into limp mode ) no big drama

Second was for fuel pump pressure ...suspect fuel pump ...changed the filter first , split the old one open for any metal off the fuel pump and it was as clean as water so I can't see it being the pump

Injectors were fine on the diagnostics

Bunged in bg244 as I was already chucking a few Bob at her

Any ideas ( even better cures ) would be smashing

Weavy

Ford Focus Estate - 2004 focus 1.8 tdci , power loss , bad starting - Simon
The fuel pump may well be basically worn out and struggling to build up enough pressure to get the engine started. This is also not helped by an old lazy starter motor and a battery that has passed its best by not allowing the engine to crank at its optimum speed. Try giving it a sniff of Easy Start in the air box as you crank it over and see if it'll fire up.

Hi

Nothing in the fuel filter to suggest a worn out pump ( ie metal filings ) its also got a brand new battery on it

Weavy

She will fire up on easy start , but she's rough and lumpy in the gears ( bit like the ex wife )

Ford Focus Estate - 2004 focus 1.8 tdci , power loss , bad starting - Avant

If I were you I wouldn't throw any more money at it. Best to flog it and go for a petrol Focus.

Ford Focus Estate - 2004 focus 1.8 tdci , power loss , bad starting - StanTheMan78

I would also check the DMF as on my dad's identical car there was no clue except poor starting, plus no indication on OBD since it's purely mechanical. By 150k it's a most likely culprit too. Thank goodness it was covered by warranty as the bill ran comfortably to 2 grand GBP. Much later it turned itself off while my mum was opening the garage door. It failed to start until next morning, which it did with no fuss. Diagnostics showed low injection pressure so suspect delivery pump...three weeks later it was standing on a dealer forecourt...