The Subaru Grovel - Trilogy

Seems the Levorg (backwards Grovel) is replacing the Legacy in the UK market. www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/subaru/levorg-gt-201.../

Edited by Honestjohn on 08/07/2015 at 15:35

The Subaru Grovel - Ed V

The continued destruction of Subaru's brand. Why would anyone buy one of these ahead of its rivals?

The continued destruction of Subaru's brand. Why would anyone buy one of these ahead of its rivals?

A Subaru devotee.

The Subaru Grovel - Avant

I believe Subarus sell well in other parts of the world, particularly the USA, where presumably the importers know what they're doing.

I can't think why Subaru (or Fuji Heavy Industries) don't get themselves better representation in the UK. It can't be a reluctance to produce RHD cars as that's the same as the home market.

I suppose it's possible that there aren't enough RHD cars available for export - but other Japanese manufacturers manage it.

Edited by Avant on 06/07/2015 at 18:34

The Subaru Grovel - groaver

Holidaying in British Columbia and I would say about 1 in 5 cars (excepting all the pick-ups) are Subarus.

All ages too.

Given their winter climate I can see their popularity.

They probably have an importer that prices sensibly too...

Avant, Fuji. :) Quite popular in OZ, where most cars are petrol.

(Edit - Thanks - I changed the typo!)

Edited by Avant on 06/07/2015 at 18:36

The Subaru Grovel - madf

Subaru have been so successful in the US, they can't keep up with demand..

tinyurl.com/n9e9fp2

Why sell peanut columes in Europe where car markets are under stress due to economic woes when domestic and US markets are booming?

The Subaru Grovel - concrete

Subaru have been so successful in the US, they can't keep up with demand..

tinyurl.com/n9e9fp2

Why sell peanut columes in Europe where car markets are under stress due to economic woes when domestic and US markets are booming?

Todays figures for new car sales would seem to contradict this position. I think they just stick with small volumes at decent margins. A bit like the old Saab, many devotees but not a serious player in the market.

Cheers Concrete

The Subaru Grovel - madf

"In the past few years, growth for Subaru in the US has only been rocketing upward. The company went from selling 336,441 cars in 2012 to 513,693 in 2014, easily beating its own forecast. In fact with a 21 percent gain, the region was the automaker's largest expanding major market worldwide. The brand sees no reason for the strong inertia to stop in 2015 and thinks it can do even better.

It actually looks like North America is going to play an even more important role in Subaru's future. According to the company's 2015 forecast, Japanese sales are expected to fall eight percent this year to an estimated 156,000 units. Meanwhile, growth in the US is estimated to climb to the tune of about five percent to a total of 540,000 vehicles. Canadashould help things with a seven percent boost to 45,000 cars. The numbers mean that of the automaker's record 940,000 forecasted sales in 2015, roughly 62 percent could come from North America.

To cope with the growing demand, Subaru intends to boost worldwide production and build 920,000 vehicles in 2015, an all-time record of it happens. Further out, the company's SIA factory in Indiana is getting an 18,000-unit expansion "during the first half period of FYE2017" to keep up with Legacy and Outback orders. Clearly, Subaru intends to gain even more ground in the coming years. Read below for its full forecasts."

tinyurl.com/pte5opc

More details on European sales here: left-lane.com/european-car-sales-data/subaru/ "Subaru sales and market share in Europe have fluctuated between 30.000 and 55.000 annual units in the new millenium, as new models have been introduced and existing models have slowly faded. Sales peaked in 2006 at just over 55.000 units. Market share has jumped up and down in the 0,23% to 0,32% range. Compare this to a rise in market share from 2% to over 3% in the same period in the United States, where Subaru sells 10 times as many cars, and you’ll understand Europe isn’t very high on Subaru’s priority list."
The same link has European sales by model by year.. fascinating..

Edited by madf on 06/07/2015 at 23:21

The Subaru Grovel - Falkirk Bairn

Uk sales dipped to under 2,000 units BUT have increased of late to around 3,000 - still this is less than half their peak 10 years ago.

The Subaru Grovel - hillman

Brilliant report madf !

Falkirk Bairn - That pobably explains why our nearest Subaru agent went bust !

In Suffolk I believe the number of dealers fluctuates from one to two dealers while in Norfolk there is generally just one.

In 2014 UK sales were up by 23%.

Off the back of a more favourable exchange rates the new WRX STI went on sale in the UK with a £4,000 price cut over the previous model. Demand soon outstripped supply with Subaru UK having to import greater quantities than planned towards the end of the year.

The rear-wheel drive BRZ SE sports car also received a £2,500 price reduction, making it far better value than nearest rivals, while the XV compact crossover also benefitted from a £2300 price reduction in 2013, with prices remaining frozen with the arrival of the updated MY2014 model.

Further growth is expected in 2015 with the UK launch of the new models. The Outback will be the first car in Subaru's line-up to be fitted with the brand's unique EyeSight driver assist technology. The Outback will also feature all new exterior and interior designs, with particular emphasis placed on interior quality and the Outback's infotainment systems.

Paul Tunnicliffe, Managing Director, Subaru UK, commented: "These results are encouraging for Subaru UK – it's great to see model launches and recent price cuts helping us back to sustainable growth. The launch of the new Outback this Spring will put us in an even stronger position for solid growth in future, and the ongoing expansion of our UK dealer network will help us achieve this goal."

Edited by Trilogy on 08/07/2015 at 13:37

Some countries e.g. Australia will get a 2.0 version. Shame it isn't coming here.

Model: Subaru Levorg 2.0 DIT
Engine: 1998cc 4-cyl, dohc, 16v, turbo
Max power: 221kW @ 5600rpm
Max torque: 400Nm @ 2000-4800rpm
Transmission: 1-speed CVT
Weight: 1570kg
0-100km/h: 6.2sec (approximate)

Trilogy ?? Transmission: 1-speed CVT ??

My indi serviceman says that a part he can source from Ford for a fiver costs thirty from Subaru.

The Subaru Grovel - Falkirk Bairn

Trilogy ?? Transmission: 1-speed CVT ??

My indi serviceman says that a part he can source from Ford for a fiver costs thirty from Subaru.

There are not many Ford parts at a FIVER. However, many Subaru owners do not really care too much about parts prices as they are seldom required.

I discovered Japanese cars & reliability in 1995 and in that time have spent very little on repairs and parts (excludes service items, tyres etc etc).

Touch wood I have not bought any parts since 2007 apart from rubber bushes & anti-roll bar for my Xedos which I sold last year after 15 years ownership.

The Subaru Grovel - madf

. However, many Subaru owners do not really care too much about parts prices as they are seldom required.Err

Older and faster models require frequent repairs..

see: www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/week-s-60-a-5.../

And early diesel owners WILL disagree.

www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/sweden-subaru.../

Edited by madf on 27/11/2015 at 15:02

The Subaru Grovel - corax

. However, many Subaru owners do not really care too much about parts prices as they are seldom required.Err

Older and faster models require frequent repairs..

see: www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/week-s-60-a-5.../

And early diesel owners WILL disagree.

www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/sweden-subaru.../

That's why I researched before buying and bought the 2.0xt, which seems never to suffer from head gasket failure.

I wouldn't contemplate buying a diesel Subaru.

Mine has not needed frequent repairs and I've not noticed people on the Subaru forums complaining much either.

I can't see what I would replace mine with that has the same breadth of abilities in such a reliable package for the price.

I'll let you know if I have to eat my words.

The Subaru Grovel - gordonbennet

Agreed Corax, the H6 Outback is proving equally reliable and well up to its workload.

I'd like a 2.5XT Forester, but that does seem to be the model prone to CHG probs, like you i'm going nowhere near Subaru Diesels, i think they rushed that engine out due to CO2 based VED concerns and shot themselves straight in the foot doing so.

Legacy and Focus have been on my shortlist to replace my Focus. Another Focus is most likely to win.

GB, this is for you. Apologies to HJ for the link to another site. Doubt this will be available in the UK. www.wheelsmag.com.au/reviews/1510/2015-toyota-fort.../

Regarding the One speed Grovel, well, that was copied and pasted from another website.

Edited by Trilogy on 27/11/2015 at 19:51

Thanks for that link Trilogy, Fortuna more or less an up to date Surf then by the looks of it.

What is interesting is a new Diesel engine, 4 cyl 2.8 twin cam Diesel, i wonder if this will replace the now ageing 3.0 litre which has been going in modified form since around 93 that i'm aware of and had problems early in its D4D guise due to injector seal leak...not unique in that mind.

A more presentable vehicle (apart from the grill, again) than the current standard Landcruise, not Amazon, the current 3 litre which Toyota went to town on to ruin its appearence, a recent thing for them (and Lexus) of beating their own vehicles with a gnarled ugly stick, why?

GB, you are right, they are too ugly. A 4wd inspired by the FJ series would be a winner. Would need to be better than the FJ Cruiser, IMO.

Recently I had to have the boots replaced on the front drive shafts of my Legacy/Outback. My indi serviceman says that when mileage exceeds 100,000 you can expect that kind of thing and the price of the boots was very high. The most common things to be replaced are the suspension links which tend to wear the rubber bushes. My expert says that they are a tad flimsy for that sort of a car, also very highly priced.

Hillman, the problem with the inner drive shaft cv boots is that they are just above the exhausts so get hot and perish before they otherwise would, both were perished when i got mine, luckily they are a pleasure to do because the whole drivershaft is easily removed and fully dismantled (its circlipped), cost me about £15 for two aftermarket boots which are fine nearly 2 years later, and i took the opportunity to repack the driveshafts with fresh grease whilst apart.

I fully expected the pattern boots to have failed by now, when they do i'll get genuines, apparently Subaru changed the material to cope with the heat better.

GB, how do you deal with the smelly exhaust when you work in that area ? You can never completly prevent drips.

Why don't the outer boots perish ? are they kept cool ?

GB, how do you deal with the smelly exhaust when you work in that area ? You can never completly prevent drips.

Why don't the outer boots perish ? are they kept cool ?

One of mine had split and had dumped a load of grease on the cat that side, i wire brushed it off then gave it a good helping of neat TFR and pressure washed it off, no exhaust smells after a few days.

Yes it must be the lower temps at the outer boots, they flex more obviously due to steering and in almost all cases its the outer ones that split, Subaru is almost the only car i've seen with perfect outers and perished/split inners.

The most common things to be replaced are the suspension links which tend to wear the rubber bushes. My expert says that they are a tad flimsy for that sort of a car, also very highly priced.

Assuming that you're talking about the anti roll bar links I replaced mine with Meyle heavy duty for about £15 each when had an uprated rear anti roll bar fitted. The fronts are the same price.

They were certainly more substantial than the originals, and many Volvo enthusiasts use Meyle to replace their links after reporting that cheaper replacements don't last as long (the S60's and V70's are heavy on their suspension).

Only time will tell.

I'd like a 2.5XT Forester, but that does seem to be the model prone to CHG probs

It's tempting due to the extra torque and driveability, not to mention 225bhp in a car that looks like a bread van :) But you'd have to get the earlier shape to avoid paying higher tax and factor in the cost of head gasket replacement which isn't cheap whichever way you look at it. It could never happen, but I'd rather keep the bombproof 2.0 which is capable of uprates without breaking, if one fancied a remap.

I just have to mention that this engine is incredible at idle. There is a distant whirring under the bonnet but you can't feel any vibration at all. Beautiful for a four cylinder.

Edited by corax on 28/11/2015 at 11:08

My first Legacy had a very quiet engine but the next one had lost all the smoothness. I heard at the time that GM had bought a share in Subaru and had improved the breathing of the engine to aid the fuel economy, which wasn't good.

The Subaru Grovel - RT

The early generations of Legacy, up to 2003, used unequal length exhaust headers which gave a marginally uneven idle and the distinctive uneven off-beat exhaust note - the later generations of Legacy used a spaghetti exhaust with equal length headers to give smoother running with a quieter exhaust.

Thanks for all the Subaru information. A c.2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 is now a strong contender to be my next purchase.

The Subaru Grovel - SteveLee

Thanks for all the Subaru information. A c.2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 is now a strong contender to be my next purchase.

I'll probably be mocked for saying it - but a truly great car. One of the most practical cars there is, cheap as chips to run, reliable and with suspension tuned towards comfort rather than Nurburgring laptimes - no street cred or fun factor whatsoever - but if you need a roomy practical car it's hard to beat - better still go the the slightly jacked up XTR and put all seaon tyres on it - then it'll be unstoppable in the winter too. It's all the car anyone ever really needs.

Steve, thanks for the reply. I am aware a few others here, including Bromptonaut, really rate them. Steve Cropley of Autocar magazine fame was so impressed with his long termer that he bought it for his family as an extra runaround. Ideally I could do with a van but don't want one. The Berligo Multipsace is rather like a modern day Renault 4, which rather appeals to me.

Edited by Trilogy on 01/01/2016 at 17:42

The Subaru Grovel - RT

I'll probably be mocked for saying it - but a truly great car. One of the most practical cars there is, cheap as chips to run, reliable and with suspension tuned towards comfort rather than Nurburgring laptimes - no street cred or fun factor whatsoever - but if you need a roomy practical car it's hard to beat - better still go the the slightly jacked up XTR and put all seaon tyres on it - then it'll be unstoppable in the winter too. It's all the car anyone ever really needs.

There should be no mocking of any vehicle that does exactly what it's meant to do - more people should buy cars that meet their particular "functional specification" rather than the latest fashion or whether neighbours/peers "approve".

Couldn't agree more about Berlies, if they'd put a proper auto box in coupled to the 2.0 HDi we'd have had one long ago.

As for fun, they can corner at frankly staggering rates, more or less the same suspension as found in a Pug 405, and anyone who driven one of these found tyre bending enjoyment with a magic carpet ride to boot, something modern makers seem to find impossible unless they stick umpteen thousand of poundsworth of electronic variable damping or air/hydraulic suspension in.

GB, apparently most cars are tuned towatds a handling bias. I've read several motoring journalists bemoan this trend. The ride of a Berlingo is another aspect that appeals to me. I test drove a 406 estate a few years ago, the ride sublime while the loadspace while was not as good as the 305 estate I once owned, nor the MK1 Focus estate I presently drive.

Image doesn't bother me. If a car fits my criteria, I'll buy it.

Don't think image features high on the list of attributes in the backroom, our leader being one the advocates of sensible tyres and suspension.

I liked 406 a lot, dunno what was going on at PSA when 407 and C5 mk 2 estates (more like extended coupes) came out, neither of any use as useful estates when compared to the vehicles they replaced.

The Subaru Grovel - galileo

Don't think image features high on the list of attributes in the backroom, our leader being one the advocates of sensible tyres and suspension.

I liked 406 a lot, dunno what was going on at PSA when 407 and C5 mk 2 estates (more like extended coupes) came out, neither of any use as useful estates when compared to the vehicles they replaced.

Best estates I had were a couple of Peugeot Estates (one was the seven-seat Family version). Built like the Forth (rail) Bridge, the only issue I had was sloppy gearlinkage when plastic bushes wore. (Originally column change but then changed to floor shift with lots of joints!)

The Subaru Grovel - HectorG
In reply to corax in an earlier post, I too cannot think of another car I would buy to replace my SJ series Subaru Forester XT. I've just completed 10,000 miles in the 13 months since I bought it new. I had originally intended to replace my Freelander with a Forester diesel CVT when they finally arrived. However, my Freelamder suffered a diff failure 1.5 hours before the warranty expired! I decided to get rid as soon as it was repaired which turned out to be about 5 months before the diesel arrived.

Before the Freelander I had a 2005 Subaru Forester XT whose only failure in 7 years was the clock bulb, so I decided to go back to Subaru - the 5 year warranty with current models was also an attraction. I test drove the Forester XE (2.0 petrol) and XT (2.0 DIT - direct injection turbo) and looked at the XV but didn't drive it (couldn't see the point when the Forester offers so much more space for relatively little extra money). I didn't consider the diesel Forester as it was then only available in manual at the time. I really only tried the petrol models to see what the Forester was like in general and how good the CVT was in particular - if I was impressed I thought I would hang on.for the diesel CVT. As it turned out I was seduced by the power of the XT turbo and the effortless linearity of the delivery with the CVT. It's got absolutely no lag - indeed my wife finds it frighteningly quick off the mark after the Freelander.

Mpg was an area I was a bit concerned about as I would be going from diesel to petrol. I needn't have worried as the petrol turbo XT is actual more economical than the diesel Freelander (calculated brim to brim)! In 30,000 the Freelander achieved on.y 30.2 mpg. The XT has achieved over 31mpg in 10,000 miles, 1,500 miles of which were towing a caravan.

Since I passed my test in 1966 I have owned or had use of over 40 different cars. My 2005 Subaru XT was my favourite car in terms of overall ability of all of them. The more I drive my current XT the more I think it is probably better still. It has more power, a better gearbox, more room, is more comfortable and more economical. It is also very good value for money. I shudder when I think that I had thought about spending £10,000 more on what I now consider to be the inferior BMW X3!

Apologies for the length of this post, but I hope it is a useful antidote to the rubbish you read about the Forester, particularly the XT, in the "comics" - I think they must be written by teenagers (with apologies to teenagers). Proper motoring journalists like the late LJK Setright had a high regard for the engineering integrity of Subaru. What Car has downgraded their score for the XT to * (yes 1x*). Virtually all the user reviews of the XT give it ***** because it performs so well in virtually all areas. OK it hasn't got 'the badge', but at my age I don't care and comfort myself with the thought that an awful lot of gullible people pay way over the odds for very mediocre cars.

Happy new year.
The Subaru Grovel - Happy Blue!

Ah! The late and great LJKS. A true expert and a superb writer.

Like Hector I had a Forester XT and reckon it was the best car I have ever driven based upon its intended job and how well it performed it.

Like Hector I had a Forester XT and reckon it was the best car I have ever driven based upon its intended job and how well it performed it.

I enjoyed HectorG's post too, well written sir.

Many good cars share a simpler but well thought out 90's design pedigree (even if built early to mid noughties), not many make 'em like those any more and more's the pity, maybe they lasted a bit too well and didn't need the anti-diagnostics antics of a main dealer who then throws umpteen chargeable parts at it till we happen upon a fix.:-)

Hector G should lodge an Owner's Report where it will be of more general benefit than in The Backroom. Here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/subaru/forester.../ (Already has some favourable reviews.)

HJ

Will do.

Great post HectorG, and music to my ears.

I suppose it depends on the criteria magazines like What Car are judging the cars on. If it's quietness, space, comfort and economy then the Forester doesn't stack up so well against some of it's competitors. There is quite a bit of wind and road noise (the Saab 9-3X project was apparently very refined and quiet because it combined the refined Subaru mechanicals with SAAB levels of soundproofing), the seats I personally don't find comfortable ( I replaced mine with Impreza WRX seats), there's not much space in the back for passengers and the engines are admittedly thirsty.

It depends on your priorities. The reliability, the toughness, the visibility(it is a cinch to reverse), and superb traction coupled with good torque from the engine are highlights for me, and the Americans and Australians seem to agree.

I like the fact that it isn't too plush, because I can chuck anything for my allotment in the back without worrying.

The way it can be hustled rapidly on a bad road surface while remaining composed and surefooted is staggering for a raised 4x4.

There's nothing else quite like it out there, although I'd like suggestions!

Thanks for the comments corax. But I have to take issue with you over some of your comments. I find the Forester very spacious - I've had 6'4" passengers in the rear with no trouble. Was your Forester an SJ (current model).? I know the seats are not particularly supportive, but for me it's not a huge issue. I'm not aware of wind noise in my Forester and although there is some tyre noise (depends on tyres - my winter Nokians are worse than the Summer Duelers) a friend's Audi Q3 suffers terribly from tyre roar in the rear (so much for Audi refinement). Considering the power and the fact it's petrol I find the economy pretty good. I'v achieved well over 40mpg on a run - even approaching 50 mpg in constant 50 mph zones!

The engine is a delight and works beautifully with the CVT. I agree there's nothing else quite like it out there

My Forester is an older 2005 SG model which should clear up your issues :)

The Subaru Grovel - Happy Blue!

The frameless doors of the first two or three versions made for extra wind noise over regular cars. But I liked them like that.

Why are the magazines so dismissive of the CVT auto box ? They generally have nothing good to say about it. In general the articles in the magazines seem to be writen by 'teenage boy racers', 'squishy tyres' indeed !

The Subaru Grovel - madf

Why are the magazines so dismissive of the CVT auto box ? They generally have nothing good to say about it. In general the articles in the magazines seem to be writen by 'teenage boy racers', 'squishy tyres' indeed !

Almost all testers dislike ALL CVTs..I have a Jazz CVT and they complain about that - when you accelerate hard, it shifts down and you get 4,000rpm.. They complain about the noise. If it shifted down and they only saw 3,000 rpm they would complain about the lack of acceleration.

Fact is, a well designed CVT is very smooth and makes driving a doddle when parking, at slow speeds and in traffic jams. i.e 90% of normal UK traffic except for those who travel 20k mile pa on motorways.. or drive like maniacs or car testers..

And then they rave about VAG DSG boxes which hesitate (dangerously) at slow speeds# and go wrong.

# but they never mention that.

There is a word to describe them - or rather two - "biased" and "m****ic" .

Or in the words of the late great J K Setright .. "muttering rotters"

Edited by madf on 05/01/2016 at 09:44

The Subaru Grovel - DirtyDieselDogg

^wot 'e said, above, in spades^

from an "expert" opinion, i.e 5 years and 90,000 miles of DSG experience, after driving a TC "proper" automatic.

The Subaru Grovel - steelghost

We've had our CVT Avensis since April last year now, and I continue to be impressed. As you say, in normal suburban conditions it makes driving about as smooth as any auto box can.

When you want acceleration, the Toyota CVT is programmed to emulate a normal auto (or you can intervene with the paddles) - meaning the performance (and engine sound) is pretty comparable to a manual or normal TC auto. It's a 1.8 so it'll never set the world on fire but it's not compromised by the transmission.

It's not for everyone, but for the driving that most suburban car owners do most of the time, it's excellent. One excellent side effect I didn't anticipate is that because the box can vary the ratio at any time, "top gear" is actually quite a lot taller than it would be in the manual. So on the motorway I can put it in cruise control at 70, and it'll turn over at just above 2000rpm, only boosting the revs if it needs to maintain speed up an incline. On the flat, it's appreciably improving the economy over a manual due to the lower revs.

madf, agree with you complelely about DSG boxes. However, the cynic in me is not surprised they don't receive the criticism they deserve when you factor in that for most of the car mags VAG can do no wrong (maybe it's to do with advertising).

I've driven a few VW's with DSG 'boxes and, like you, find them positively dangerous when exiting junctions and roundabouts. I had to laugh out loud when a salesman (sorry executive) told me, when I commented on this hesitation, that I had the "wrong technique". I can't remember exactly what this was, but as far as I am concerned I should not have to learn a special driving technique to avoid injury or death when pulling out of a junction! Also. i've read that DSG failure is not uncommon and very expensive to fix.

This dangerous hesitation is not confined to the DSG - I had a Volvo V70 with a old school TC 'box which was also pretty dreadful and got rid of it after 9 months (but it was a diesel). My Forester XT has absolutely no lag - it's brilliant. Furthurmore, it has the extra attraction of 'Sport' and 'Sport Sharp (#)' modes. The latter replicates an 8 speed box and maximises the 240 PS output of the DIT engine - it's quite intoxicating, but doesn't help mpg. In normal 'I' (intelligent) mode fuel economy is excellent - about 25% better than my old 2005 Forester which was also 30% less powerful. But of course this is where CVT boxes score over the old TC boxes.

steelghost, I think Subaru developed the CVT in conjunction with Toyota, who have a largish stake in Subaru, but I remain to be corrected.

On the Jazz CVT (and my wife had one for nearly 6 years) I think the Subaru is a huge step forward by comparison and exhibits virtually none of the 'rubber band effect' associated with CVT's which puts a lot of people off. although I seem to recall that the Forester turbos have an 'upgaded 'box and the extra power makes all the difference. Anyway, highly recommended.

The Subaru Grovel - RT

AFAIK, Subaru further developed the Toyota CVT to suit their own needs, just as they further developed their original gearboxes from their Jatco origins.

I'm old enough to remember DAF's original launch of their Variomatic and have always admired it's simplicity and theoretical advantages but I also remember huge press adverse comment on all forms of CVT - I test drove one of the Outback diesel CVTs at launch after decades of conventional TC autoboxes and was amazed how imperceptibly the CVT performed - if only they did a H6 diesel!

I had a Corolla (Auris) hire car in Oz a couple of years ago. It was 6 speed manual, with 7 speed CVT. Brilliant transmission set up. I'd have one. Sadly not sold here, just like the Land Cruiser 70, Tarago, Kluger, Fortuner, Hi Ace etc.

The Subaru Grovel - madf

On the Jazz CVT (and my wife had one for nearly 6 years) I think the Subaru is a huge step forward by comparison and exhibits virtually none of the 'rubber band effect' associated with CVT's which puts a lot of people off. although I seem to recall that the Forester turbos have an 'upgaded 'box and the extra power makes all the difference. Anyway, highly recommended.

Post 2011 Jazz has a TC connected to the CVT so no rubber band effect,,

I was told that the CVT auto box does not 'creep' like the traditional TC auto box when idling, eg at traffic lights. How does one do hill starts ? I've got visions of holding the handbrake like a manual box.

The Subaru Grovel - RT

I think the Outback has a hill-holder - and I don't recall it having a handbrake lever - the modern electric parking brakes means that you don't need creep anyway.

I think creep can be very useful on occasions, such as inching forward in a traffic jam. I had two cars with CVT (an Audi A4 in 2004 and a Mercedes B-class in 2006) both of which 'crept'.

I had assumed that all Foresters were worthy and reliable but rather stodgy: after Hector's excellent review it seems that the turbo petrol XT is good to drive in addition to the usual Subaru strengths. It'll be well worth another look. I believe a further virtue is that it has a proper handbrake.

SWMBO's ageing H6 Outback might look a bit stodgy too but try keeping up with the thing when the road gets slippery and twisty, the same goes for all 4WD Subarus far as i can tell, just point and they do what you ask.

Disappointed that Subaru have seen fit to sling an electric parking brake on at least some of their newer models, thats ruled those out for my future used bargains then.

Interesting discussion about the CVT boxes, hope they prove as bomb proof long term as the standard autos have (and as simple to change and check the oil), the poor long term prospects of the Diesels surprised and saddened me, so i'll be keeping an ear out about CVT's too, and Toyota's version.

The Subaru Grovel - DirtyDieselDogg

Folks, the only reservation I have with the DSG, is its inherent (dry 7 speed 2010 spec) tendency to "drop" out of gear entirely, when attempting to creep on manouver on a slope, a software "glitch" pure and simple.

Otherwise zero complaints in respect of normal driving, at first I noticed a slight hesitation in pulling away at a road end, but my brain reasonably quickly reprogrammed itself to "launch" commensurately sooner, AND once launched KEEP THE THROTTLE depressed, and let the standard fit traction control do its wonderful work.

Hey it works!

I have always attempted to drive smoothly anyway (however fast or slow, I am driving, circumstances permitting), "perhaps" (as in, for sure) this allows the DSG transmission to better predict what is required of it.

Unlike quite a few driving dorks** who constantly switch between the throttle and brake, thereby certainly confusing any artifically intelligent transmission.

As witnessed by constant tell-tale brake light behavouir.

Regards

marcus

simples

really

I had assumed that all Foresters were worthy and reliable but rather stodgy.

The looks give a false impression - they feel a bit floaty driving normally, but put your foot down and it sort of hunkers down and turns into a performance car, it really does have a Jekyll and Hyde character, the turbo at least.

I see many older people driving Impreza WRX's now. I don't know if it's a late mid life crisis or they appreciate the straightforward engineering and performance per pound, but it's nice to see.

The Subaru Grovel - madf

I was told that the CVT auto box does not 'creep' like the traditional TC auto box when idling, eg at traffic lights. How does one do hill starts ? I've got visions of holding the handbrake like a manual box.

The Jazz one does creep. Makes parking very simple.. no risk of pressing the accelerator too hard and demolishing the garage (as an uncle did in the 1970s with his V8 Daimler)

Hill starts are like a normal clutch and gearbox...

Edited by madf on 06/01/2016 at 09:52

The Subaru Grovel - steelghost

The Toyota CVT also uses a small TC to do the 'slipping' when setting off (it locks up as soon as you're moving quickly enough) so you get a gentle creep / hold on inclines. As mentioned, it's helpful in traffic.

You can get the same gearbox fitted to a Yaris which I wold have to take a serious look at if we ever needed a smaller second vehicle.

I must admit that I always use the handbrake when doing hill starts regardless of the creep effect of the auto box.

I was once told by a very experienced driver that a Mercedes with automatic transmission will never ever run backward when in drive and at rest. I was also told by another very experienced driver that the effect is not guaranteed on steep slopes. I've found when reverse parking on my path, which has a very steep slope, that my Legacy Outback can run forward if I have to stop and reposition myself.

More publicity for the Grovel. Now set to take part in BTCC in RWD form.

The Subaru Grovel - groaver

It seems North America just love their Scoobies:

As for which brands retain their customers the best, among the top 10 cited by Experian, only two – Mercedes-Benz and Lexus – are luxury automakers, with the rest divided fairly equally among U.S., Japanese, and Korean mainstream makes:

Most Brand Loyal Car Brands for 2016:

1. Subaru, 67.7 percent
  2. Ford, 66.7 percent
  3. Mercedes-Benz, 65.1 percent
  4. Toyota, 63.5 percent
  5. Kia, 63.2 percent
  6. Hyundai, 61.3 percent
  7. Nissan, 61.1 percent
  8. Chevrolet, 60.7 percent
  9. Lexus, 60.7 percent
  10. Honda, 59.9 percent

tinyurl.com/jfdwubt

I'd agree with that Hillman.

We have a flat parking area but the exit from our driveway is very steep uphill, the old Merc will not roll back even an inch no matter how long you sit there in D on tickover, but both the Subaru and Landcruiser will roll back very slowly after a few seconds if you sat there expecting the creep to hold them still, in practice just removing your foot from the brake and applying the throttle gently means no roll back at all so no need to involve the parking brake.

The Subaru Grovel - Compost Corner

I bought a new XT and it's a wonderful car. It's my 2nd Subaru - my Outback ran for 10yrs without fault - and I reckon the Forester's just as well built. Massive US demand hampers UK availability. I can't understand our addiction to over-priced Audis and I've never viewed 'Subaru' as a 2nd class badge. The CVT is smooth and behaves much the same as a torque converter. It's a bit revvy when cold but the torque comes on once the blue light on the dash goes out - presumably the turbo comes on tap once engine warm. The dashboard looks about 10yrs out of date but it's clear and simple to use. A Subaru 'enthusiast' tells me they tend to stick with tried and trusted parts rather than constantly updating designs for the sake of it - I noticed many visable parts on my old Outback were same as previous gen at the time (door handles etc) and you see many shared parts between different Subaru models - and this makes sense if your aim is to build something sturdy and reliable as opposed to frail and fashionable. Couple of gripes - a bigger boot would be useful and some space could be sacrificed from the old-Citronesque space that rear passengers enjoy and the powered tailgate can be a pain - it's so slow and doesn't rise high enough - I'm 6ft and hit my head on it every couple of days - an old fashioned manual taigate would be better and having a motorised one seems pointless. Also a strange problem with the alarm microwave sensor apparantly caused by mobile phones - presumably Subaru will come up with a fix for that. But all told I'm really happy with the car and reckon I'll keep it for a long time. Despite not getting the British obsession with German cars (I once owned an unreliable 5 series) it is nice to drive something you don't don't see all the time - there are more Porsches in my street than Subarus. Finally, I drove a Levorg and really liked it - it's pretty rapid despite being a 1.6 and if you needed a smallish estate it would be perfect, though the ride was a bit hard. If you want a 4wd SUV-type car I'd recommend the Forester hands down - you won't be disppointed.

Should probably also add that it goes like sh!t off a shovel...

What's the petrol consumption like on your Forester? I'm no environmental freak but even for me the quoted CO2 emissions of 197g/km seem very high, so it's possible that this might go hand in hand with heavy consumption.

Subject to this, it certainly seems worth considering for my shortlist: I would think that rave reviews from owners count for more than What Car's one star.

I'm only getting about 27mpg but the engine's still tight, I've been carrying a roofbox and also driving 'enthusiastically' (which is hard to resist in the XT). Other owners suggest 30-35mpg is perfectly possible depending on how careful you want to be.

I've noticed how Subaru owners tend to rave about their cars - as do I - and do think that some of it is a reaction to how poorly Subarus are reviewed in the media - like a bit of an underdog complex. Buying a Forester probably won't change your life, though it might make you feel like part of an exclusive, in the know, club.

The Forester's not perfect and it won't appeal to most people - you don't get a pseudo-luxury interior, 15-speaker stereo or Victoria Beckham-endorsed styling. You don't get the very latest technology, the highest (laboratory claimed) mpg or the lowest CO2. What you do get is a practical motor that will look and drive the same after 10yrs of abuse. If you're the sort of person who values there qualities then it's well worth checking out.

Compost Corner's recent posts are spot on - the Forester XT is a great car! I also rather like the fact that Forester ownership is an exclusive club. I have friends with Audi's who I know are secretively jealous of my Subaru, particlularly when they have travelled in it - most generally make complimentary remarks, particularly about the performance. But they are badge snobs and would find it difficult to come to terms with owning a car with a badge that is generally little recognised.

The SJ series Forester XT owners I have met (not many I will admit) are very positive about their cars and all shared the opinion that they would not change their Forester for anything else. My local dealer is starting to see a lot of interest from Range Rover owners and has recently taken 3 of them in part exchange for new XT's. That says it all really - substance over style.